FreeNAS 11.0 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

rogerh

Guru
Wow, that's lame, even by Linux development standards.
Possibly. But I don't think BSD ZFS understands 'acltype', which is a different property of zfsonlinux. I suppose we could have an OS argument about who is more to blame.

Rod Myers

Patron
Possibly. But I don't think BSD ZFS understands 'acltype', which is a different property of zfsonlinux. I suppose we could have an OS argument about who is more to blame.

that would the zfsonlinux folke. since zfs on linux is a generation or three behind FreeBSD concerning zfs

Osiris

Contributor
Thx for the update!

Since I'm on FN11 stable & nightlies on 2 of my nasses already, I didn't see any real changes besides the fixes in the last releasenotes.
Now get cracking to get docker integrated in the base system (and don't make the VM mistake that your ex-colleagues made) !

Only that 'new UI' where you're obviously trying to mimic what the Corral guys did...
Never reverted back to something classic that quickly.
Needs some work. Well. A lot. Heaps.

naitachal

Dabbler
For those asking about Corral to 11, a direct upgrade didn't work for me (as was stated in the official page about that - I tried anyway to see). I had to boot to 9.10.2-U2 (the last 9.10 that I had working), change my update channel to 11, then update. On the first reboot there were a bunch of errors that flew by on the console (connection error stands out in my mind) during the update process, though on the reboot after that it was clean (looked like 9.10 boot) and came up without an issue.

I miss the Corral login screen. Seeing all the details in one place was very nice.

The only issue I have after recreating a jail for Plex is that "Plex Transcoder" is eating up about 80% of my (8-cores) CPU, and Plex status / logs show that there's nothing transcoding. I'm still trying to figure out what it's doing...

RoboKaren

Contributor
The only issue I have after recreating a jail for Plex is that "Plex Transcoder" is eating up about 80% of my (8-cores) CPU, and Plex status / logs show that there's nothing transcoding. I'm still trying to figure out what it's doing...

Why did you have to recreate a (Plex) jail? Shouldn't they have just ported over automagically?

naitachal

Dabbler
Why did you have to recreate a (Plex) jail? Shouldn't they have just ported over automagically?

Going from Corral down to 10 then up to 11 played havoc with the Plex VM. I moved the database out, and figured it was a good time to re-create it. An hour or two of re-analysing movies/tv files is insignificant in the big picture.

Update on the transcoder issue: After a restarting the plugin/vm, Plex is behaving properly.

BloodyIron

Contributor
Are you certain you have ACL support working in your Linux environment? xattr enabled? It might be something along those lines, but I suspect I'm going to get a response along the lines of "yeah of course it's on" ;P but just trying to ask the hard hitting questions here. Just the facts.

rogerh

Guru
Are you certain you have ACL support working in your Linux environment? xattr enabled? It might be something along those lines, but I suspect I'm going to get a response along the lines of "yeah of course it's on" ;P but just trying to ask the hard hitting questions here. Just the facts.
I only commented on this thread because someone implied that 11.0 can replicate to *any* version of ZFS, which I thought was a bit sweeping. The detail is a bit off-topic. However, I am fairly certain that zfsonlinux will reject at least some values of aclmode, if not all. And that it does not depend on xattr or acltype status on the receiving system.

digity

Contributor
Is a UEFI compatible mobo again required for VNC/GUI control of VMs (like in Corral, to perform OS installations on the VM)?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is a UEFI compatible mobo again required for VNC/GUI control of VMs (like in Corral, to perform OS installations on the VM)?
What on Earth does one have to do with the other?

digity

Contributor
What on Earth does one have to do with the other?

In Corral I couldn't use it's built-in GUI for controlling VMs (i.e., for OS installations). It appears a UEFI mobo (and maybe FreeNAS installed in UEFI mode instead of BIOS/legacy) was required for that feature.

joeschmuck

Old Man
After the upgrade to 11, my storage pools vanished. Same issue i was having with RC4.

I rolled back to my previous boot environment in order to get my pools back.

I'm on the nightly train (13-June-2017 nightly) and i am not using any encryption on the devices.

Any idea how to fix the issue without doing a fresh install.

Edit - The error message i get under Storage->Volumes is below

Code:
Unable to Load /api/v1.0/storage/volume/?parent=null status: 500
Did you submit a bug report on this? If not, please do it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would like to extend my gratitude to the iXsystem Development Team and all of the people on the forum who tested and provided valuable feedback to the development team which produced this excellent product. I'm sure everyone is pleased that we did not have a repeat of Corral.

Remember, if you find a problem, report it in the Bug Tracker.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Hi
This has properly been asked already, is it best to hit the upgrade button, or do a new ISO/stick install to get this?
Also, if I save my config and do a new install, where do I put the config to be able to access it (assuming Pool is not available after upgrade),

Will the config restore my user? .. and will I have to redo my ssh public/private key access again ..
(I am upgrading from 10.9.1)

Many Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This has properly been asked already, is it best to hit the upgrade button, or do a new ISO/stick install to get this?
There's no general reason for a clean install.

Also, if I save my config and do a new install, where do I put the config
On your client.

(assuming Pool is not available after upgrade)
How would it not be...?

Will the config restore my user?
Yes, obviously.

and will I have to redo my ssh public/private key access again ..
No.

(I am upgrading from 10.9.1)
9.10.1?

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Yes, sorry 9.10.1 ... having a dyslexic moment ;)

D-Tijori

Dabbler
Many congrats and all the best to the devs, QA's, users, and everyone else involved in the project.

Let the new beginning shine a bright light unto a successful future ahead while rapidly depositing away recent misfortune into the bottomless abyss that be the realm of bad dreams.

In short, dont muck it up.

ethereal

Guru
i wish i'd never started the upgrade in the gui - only getting 100 KiB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.