FreeNAS 11.0-RC now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinClift

Patron
I maintain a FreeBSD VM (actually 2), that I use to build the files. Just run a script and in a few minutes it's done and uploaded to the web server.

Sounds like you're doing it manually. Maybe throw the script into a cronjob + automatic rsync on the end to put the results on the web site?

Jon Moog

Dabbler
Home user only 3TB of storage with redundancy and I'm currently running on Corral and just found out last night Corral was caned, I don't check the forums a lot clearly,

I have couple dockers but not end world as they can be installed as plugins/jails, and apart from that and one test VM I created I didn't use much of corral newer features so I'm going to roll back and want to do it this weekend as my weekend look free at the moment so my question is,

Should I install 9.10.2-U3, 11.0-RC other option is to wait for full release of 11.0 but like I said I have free weekend this weekend so that's not a good option in this case,

Any thought would be appreciated.

I think the best suggestion at this point, if Corral is functioning properly for you would be to wait for the feature parity in FreeNAS 11. This could be awhile depending on what features you are using. There is a roadmap floating around for FreeNAS 11 if you can find it.

Ykno

Dabbler
I think the best suggestion at this point, if Corral is functioning properly for you would be to wait for the feature parity in FreeNAS 11. This could be awhile depending on what features you are using. There is a roadmap floating around for FreeNAS 11 if you can find it.

It don't work perfectly it works but not well at all I just fought it was early bugs as was still usable and was waiting for update which is how I found out yesterday it was canned when I came to see when next update was going to be ha..... It wouldn't take me that long to set it all back up on 9.10.2-U3 or 11.0-RC, as only couple shares and couple plugins/jails.

So ye I want to get it over with now as I'm going to have to do it at some point anyway so might as well rip the bandaid off now to save further pain. so which path? I'm favouring going to 9.10.2-U3 just in case we have similar situation as Corral but if i do go with 9.10.2-U3 will the upgrade to 11.0 be simple as clicking upgrade or pain in ass like Corral was, just want some more opinions.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Upgrades from 9.10 to 11 are just as easy as they were from 9.3 to 9.10.

Ykno

Dabbler
I'm going to take that as it should be pretty easy and painless to do then... ha sorry i never did that i think i started on FreeNAS 9.10 only been using FreeNAS for less than a year I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I understand it, the change in the underlying OS when going from 9.10 to 11 will require jails to be rebuilt. You may want to hold off setting up jails on 9.10, unless they are essential, or you find setting up jails a relaxing diversion.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With 11, definitely look into using iocage for jail management, since that's what the GUI will use starting with 11.1.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
As I understand it, the change in the underlying OS when going from 9.10 to 11 will require jails to be rebuilt. You may want to hold off setting up jails on 9.10, unless they are essential, or you find setting up jails a relaxing diversion.
With 11, definitely look into using iocage for jail management, since that's what the GUI will use starting with 11.1.
I say set them up now on 9.10 if you need them running but I would go so far as to say wait until 11.1 when the planned GUI management for Iocage is in place before upgrading any jails. If you upgrade the jails now using warden in 11 you may have to re do it again when Warden is dropped and the GUI is linked to Iocage in 11.1.

MickeMannen

Cadet
Hi!

New to FreeNAS so I have one basic question... maybe it was answered earlier in this thread but...

I am currently using 11-MASTER-201705150408 but i would like to move over to 11-RC3. the reason for me using this nightly release is that my mother board wasn't supported in the previous releases.

Based on previous replies i could use:
You can force it from the CLI:
# freenas-update -v -T FreeNAS-11-STABLE update

To move over to RC3 but is the RC3 based on the nightly branch and from when?

//Micke

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
To move over to RC3 but is the RC3 based on the nightly branch and from when?
RC3 is a fixed point in time. The Nightlies are exactly what they say, nightly and are updated frequently. RC3 does not update until RC4 comes out.

ManfredU

Dabbler
RC3 is a fixed point in time. The Nightlies are exactly what they say, nightly and are updated frequently. RC3 does not update until RC4 comes out.

But when RC4 comes out, is it identical to the nightlies at that point in time? Would that be the best moment to move to the stable train?

I'm using the nightlies since before RC1 came out, but would prefer to continue with stable in the long run.

MickeMannen

Cadet
Hi!

Thank you very much for the reply.

My question is more like... RC - which day was that one branched out from the Master Branch? after 15th of May? If it is after 15th of May it should be possible for me to move my system to RC3 from the nightly version I am using.

//Micke

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
But when RC4 comes out, is it identical to the nightlies at that point in time? Would that be the best moment to move to the stable train?

I'm using the nightlies since before RC1 came out, but would prefer to continue with stable in the long run.
This is a personal preference for you to make but I'd move to the FreeNAS-Stable at least once the "Release" version comes out and then just stick with it, unless you are someone who wants to troubleshoot problems that could occur with the nightlies.

My question is more like... RC - which day was that one branched out from the Master Branch? after 15th of May? If it is after 15th of May it should be possible for me to move my system to RC3 from the nightly version I am using.
You can move your system at any point in time but you may need to use the CLI to force the change as indicated on post #4 (I think) of this thread. If it were me thinking of this change, I'd do it sooner than later but that is just a personal preference on my part.

MickeMannen

Cadet
This is a personal preference for you to make but I'd move to the FreeNAS-Stable at least once the "Release" version comes out and then just stick with it, unless you are someone who wants to troubleshoot problems that could occur with the nightlies.

You can move your system at any point in time but you may need to use the CLI to force the change as indicated on post #4 (I think) of this thread. If it were me thinking of this change, I'd do it sooner than later but that is just a personal preference on my part.

Thank you!

emk2203

Guru
Why are the FreeNAS 11 downloads gone from http://download.freenas.org ? Nightlies stop after June 2, and there is no new activity after that date.

My systems were on 11RC3, and just yesterday, there was an update scheduled for the STABLE train. After the update, I can see a version of FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE (FreeNAS.amd64) #0 r313908+f4b711d1be8(freenas/11.0-stable) after login, and if I use
Code:
 freenas-update -v -T FreeNAS-11-STABLE update
, I see that the new download is supposed to come from another location:
Code:
[freenasOS.Configuration:687] TryGetNetworkFile(['http://update-master.ixsystems.com/FreeNAS/FreeNAS-11-STABLE/LATEST'])
, which is not accessible via browser, only via the update mechanism.

Is there a change in policy? I would like to be able to download manually in case there are issues with the update.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The bug tracker shows only a couple open issues for all the RC candidates so it's quite likely they are preparing for 11 to release release. Or this could be in response to the naming scheme of the nightlies vs release that is causing some confusion.

Or it could be both.

Or I could be completely off in left field.

The latter wouldn't be a stretch.

gpsguy

FTFY - there's no "s" in download.

There are FreeNAS 11 downloads, just nothing recent. 11.0 RC4 is/was due real soon. Dunno what happened to the nightlies.

Some of iXsystems folks went to Canada for BSDCan.

Why are the FreeNAS 11 downloads gone from http://download.freenas.org/?

blaco

Explorer
RC4 is already out, but I can't find the iso on the update server (there are often 404 errors when I try to view download.freenas.org, maybe there s something wrong)
I got the mail for the update tonight, and 1 hour ago I applied it.

Last edited:

Stilez

Guru
Some of iXsystems folks went to Canada for BSDCan.
As gpsguy says, don't expect much in the way of posts or releases until BSDCan (7-10 June) is over. Conferencing will take precedence.

Kam

Dabbler
RC4 is already out, but I can't find the iso on the update server (there are often 404 errors when I try to view download.freenas.org, maybe there s something wrong)
I got the mail for the update tonight, and 1 hour ago I applied it.

I can't find iso also on download.freenas.org and updates on update.ixsystems.com, but update from GUI from RC3 to RC4 works. I think it is checking this file for updates:
http://update-master.ixsystems.com/FreeNAS/FreeNAS-11-STABLE/LATEST
and then downloading updates from this update-master site.
So go to System -> Update -> "Check now" to get RC4.

Status
Not open for further replies.