FreeNAS 9.2.1.6-RC is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig Rodrigues

FreeNAS 9.2.1.6-RC is available here.

All bugs fixed in FreeNAS 9.2.1.6-RC can be found here.

The major items of interest are mentioned in the ReleaseNotes here.http://download.freenas.org/9.2.1.6/BETA/ReleaseNotes
These items include:
  • Samba is updated to 4.1.8
  • Netatalk is updated to 3.1.2
  • Several fixes related to the System Dataset
  • A new VirtualBox jail template
  • Several fixes related to ZFS replication
  • A new mpr driver, officially sanctioned by LSI, for the LSI 12 Gbps SAS HBA
  • An experimental in-kernel iSCSI target
  • A .usb file which can be imaged to a USB key. This can be used for installing FreeNAS from a USB key.
Since the last 9.2.1.6-BETA, additional items have been fixed including:
  • various iSCSI fixes
  • scponly shell has been fixed
  • SMB2 protocol is the default for CIFS shares
  • VirtualBox template updated to 4.3.12
Please provide feedback on this RC. If no major problems are found, we will release 9.2.1.6-RELEASE in approximately 14 days.

Thank you for testing FreeNAS!

- The FreeNAS Development Team

Sir.Robin

Guru
Sweet!! :) Me first me first... :p

Scareh

Contributor
Allthough i'm applauding the freenas team for another almost ready release

this:
makes me kinda wonder.
As fas as i understood 9.2.1.6 is the last released version before 9.3 (which is a while off). So why implementing "experimental" stuff? Why not release it without this stuff and have release further down with only the iSCSI changes?
Don't get me wrong, i'm happy we have another stable release soon, and since its experimental, i'll not use it anyway, but why waste time from the developpers to release something thats experimental? Only a select few will use it in its experimental fase i guess. (on a side note, experimental is what? Alpha? Beta? or?)
again not my intention to offend anyone, just genuine curious.

vitek

Dabbler
Afaik (correct me if I'm wrong) the "experimental in-kernel iSCSI target" is an option to use if you want to try it, the istgt is still there.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Allthough i'm applauding the freenas team for another almost ready release

this:
makes me kinda wonder.
As fas as i understood 9.2.1.6 is the last released version before 9.3 (which is a while off). So why implementing "experimental" stuff? Why not release it without this stuff and have release further down with only the iSCSI changes?
Don't get me wrong, i'm happy we have another stable release soon, and since its experimental, i'll not use it anyway, but why waste time from the developpers to release something thats experimental? Only a select few will use it in its experimental fase i guess. (on a side note, experimental is what? Alpha? Beta? or?)
again not my intention to offend anyone, just genuine curious.

The new iSCSI target solves a few important issues when working with Windows Server 2012 that will most likely never be solved in the stable one, so it's important for some people. I suppose the developers feel confident that it's ready for wider testing, too.

J

jkh

The new iSCSI target solves a few important issues when working with Windows Server 2012 that will most likely never be solved in the stable one, so it's important for some people. I suppose the developers feel confident that it's ready for wider testing, too.

All correct. What's also important to note is that the new iSCSI target (also known as "CTL") is the only officially supported FreeBSD iSCSI solution going forward (funded by the FreeBSD Foundation even) and will be the default in FreeNAS 9.3, so istgt is effectively end-of-lifed now. We didn't feel confident enough in CTL to make it the default in 9.2.1.6 yet but it's worth getting as much testing as possible in any case since, again, it will be the default in 9.3.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

indy

Patron
How about 9.2.1.6.1? :)
Anyway I really like that the development cycle seems to have slowed down considerably.

TheSmoker

Patron
If things are progressing steadily at this rate I will keep being happy. I prefer releases that are fixing known issues and both 9.2.1.5 and now 9.2.1.6 did precisely that.
And for the ones that are having stomach problems ... stop eating bad food and start drinking good booze! Cheers!

vitek

Dabbler
When trying the new iSCSi (CTL) and trying to connect two vmware hosts.
I get this error:
Code:
cfiscsi_handle_data_segment: 10.x.x.x (iqn.1998-02.com.vmware): received too much immediate data: got 1024 bytes, expected 512

This message repeats for all the targets and both vmware hosts.

Any idea what could be causing this?

J

jkh

When trying the new iSCSi (CTL) and trying to connect two vmware hosts.
I get this error:
Code:
cfiscsi_handle_data_segment: 10.x.x.x (iqn.1998-02.com.vmware): received too much immediate data: got 1024 bytes, expected 512

This message repeats for all the targets and both vmware hosts.
Does that message correlate with any particular breakage, or any diagnostics from the VMWare hosts? Please include all of that information in the bug report I'm sure you actually meant to file, since we always ask folks to file bug reports (particularly with any feature marked "experimental") rather than post here on the forums. :) Thanks.

Serverbaboon

Dabbler
In a half asleep state I thought I read somewhere that the new Kernel ISCSI target was for zvols although it would work with files, is this correct?

I did a quick search but cant find the comment so maybe I dreamt it.

If so will this change or will the general recommendation change from file extents to block?

Serverbaboon

Dabbler
In a moment of clarity I though to check the release notes:)

I suppose the question still stands.

will have to download the latest version of CJ's presentation again!

J

jkh

In a half asleep state I thought I read somewhere that the new Kernel ISCSI target was for zvols although it would work with files, is this correct?
Almost. Both istgt and CTL will work with either zvols or files, but whereas istgt preferred files, CTL prefers zvols. For one thing, with the latter it can now return zero'd blocks to the filesystem (e.g. "holes" become real holes again, rather than just blocks full of zeros). It will also work fine with files, yes, but the performance and underlying efficiencies won't be the same.

So, in short, in the new iSCSI (CTL) universe the recommendation will be zvols.

G Brown

Dabbler
Default permissions swapped?

When I create a new Apple share, with posix type permissions, these are the default permissions for the share; for files, rwxr-xr-x, and the web-gui list this for directories: rw-r--r--
It looks like the default file permissions should be swapped for the default directory permissions.

J

jkh

Default permissions swapped?

When I create a new Apple share, with posix type permissions, these are the default permissions for the share; for files, rwxr-xr-x, and the web-gui list this for directories: rw-r--r--
It looks like the default file permissions should be swapped for the default directory permissions.

Hmm, I don't see that at all. A new share created with type "Apple" shows file permissions as 644 and directory permissions (these are the defaults I'm talking about) as 775.

Status
Not open for further replies.