FreeNAS 11.0-RC now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

amiskell

Patron
GUI jail management isn't going to use iocage in 11.0, that's an 11.1 feature.

I read that in the bug.

So basically, 11.0 is just a 9.10.x rebased on FBSD 11 and a non-fully featured VM tab (no integrated console support, no grub or bhyeload support, etc, etc). That's rather disappointing to hear as I was hoping to move off Corral to 11.0 when it was available.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You'll be able to do a lot of that stuff at a later date as those features are added. Unfortunately these things take time and I'm sure after the Corral fiasco iX isn't going to push things out until they're ready.

amiskell

Patron
You'll be able to do a lot of that stuff at a later date as those features are added. Unfortunately these things take time and I'm sure after the Corral fiasco iX isn't going to push things out until they're ready.

I know. I was just hoping to at least use jails to migrate some of the stuff I was doing in Docker on Corral. But I don't want to start spinning up jails on 11.0 only to find out 2-3 months from now I'm going to have to redo them to migrate to iocage.

I see bugs for migration scripts, but until I know exactly what migrating to entail, I don't want to spend my time messing with it until it's feature complete. iX already burned me once with Corral and all the time I spent getting things setup and being actively involved in testing, bug reporting, etc.

It would be *very* helpful if iX posted an expected roadmap of when certain features are going to be included and in which releases of FreeNAS 11. After the Corral fiasco, oversharing really should be the order of the day so people know exactly what's going on and can plan accordingly with their own setups.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well the best you can do is watch the bug tracker to see where they are on things. @Kris Moore has also been posting frequent updates in the forums in an attempt to keep people up to speed and to let them know what they are working on. Keep an eye out for his posts and that should give you a good indication of what's going on behind the scenes.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So after the reboot, the browser shows the log in window. I'm going to close that tab, open a new tab and type in the IP and see if this glitch repeats...

The answer is no, I could not recreate this. :confused:
P.S. I'm using Firefox 53.0.2 (32-bit)
Actually I can recreate this without any issue provided I do not log out or reboot and it's within 24 hours of my previous log in. It's been that way for a very long time, years I'd say. It's as if FreeNAS doesn't feel like authenticating again if it recognizes the computer logging in again within a certain period of time.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I think that's more of a browser behavior than a FreeNAS behavior. Clear your browser cache without logging out and revisit the GUI and you'll be prompted to log in again.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree with that assesment.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Actually I can recreate this without any issue provided I do not log out or reboot and it's within 24 hours of my previous log in. It's been that way for a very long time, years I'd say. It's as if FreeNAS doesn't feel like authenticating again if it recognizes the computer logging in again within a certain period of time.
Today was the first time I have ever seen this, so my guess is that I must have
closed the browser without logging out and did not realize it.
It sure came as a surprise to me though.

There's a link to the new UI on the log in screen. Log out and log back in on the new UI.
You don't actually need to log out. Just add "/ui" to the end of the URL in the browser and you'll get the new UI.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The new GUI is far from feature-complete.

Sean Coston

Contributor
Still on Corral because my dip into trying out the FN11-Nightlies a few weeks ago failed - couldn't get my Ubuntu16.04 server VM to boot properly after the migration.

Any new abilities to boot up and run Ubuntu VMs on the FN11RC ? I'd like to move over (it's lonely in Corral - land)...

Sean

microbug

Dabbler
Still on Corral because my dip into trying out the FN11-Nightlies a few weeks ago failed - couldn't get my Ubuntu16.04 server VM to boot properly after the migration.

Any new abilities to boot up and run Ubuntu VMs on the FN11RC ? I'd like to move over (it's lonely in Corral - land)...

Sean

This is how to boot Ubuntu in FN11 RC: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-how-to-boot-linux-vms-using-uefi.54039/

I've currently got an Ubuntu 17.04 Server running just fine from this guide.

Stilez

Guru
Can someone clarify - the only reason I'm not trying 11 yet (which sounds good!) is the ominous "UI isn't feature complete yet". Does this just mean the new UI? If so does the above thread mean the old UI is still there and is feature complete, so it's talking about an optional/upcoming extra that's still a bit experimental or things to be done, and can be selected or de-selected (as opposed to "some stuff you could do in the GUI in 9.10.2 can't yet be done in 11RC and needs CLI")?

If that's the case, then a heads-up to the announcement team, this point (that the new GUI is an option and the old GUI is still there and feature complete until that time) is worth clarifying as it can cause apprehension to those who aren't clear what to make of it. Right now I'm not taking chances until sure, even though I'm hoping that my interpretation is correct :)

Other than that, thanks for all the hard work (especially after the 9.3/10/Corall issues!) and look forward to trying it just as soon as I'm sure that at least *some* GUI in 11RC is feature complete, even if not the new one!! :)

microbug

Dabbler
Can someone clarify - the only reason I'm not trying 11 yet (which sounds good!) is the ominous "UI isn't feature complete yet". Does this just mean the new UI? If so does the above thread mean the old UI is still there and is feature complete, so it's talking about an optional/upcoming extra that's still a bit experimental or things to be done, and can be selected or de-selected (as opposed to "some stuff you could do in the GUI in 9.10.2 can't yet be done in 11RC and needs CLI")?

If that's the case, then a heads-up to the announcement team, this point (that the new GUI is an option and the old GUI is still there and feature complete until that time) is worth clarifying as it can cause apprehension to those who aren't clear what to make of it. Right now I'm not taking chances until sure, even though I'm hoping that my interpretation is correct :)

Other than that, thanks for all the hard work (especially after the 9.3/10/Corall issues!) and look forward to trying it just as soon as I'm sure that at least *some* GUI in 11RC is feature complete, even if not the new one!! :)

The 'old' GUI in FN11 RC is feature complete; you can do everything in FN11 that you could in 9.10.2. The new GUI is far from complete and isn't really much more than eye candy at the moment.

And, the "old" GUI is the default. You have to take specific action to see the new GUI, so you won't stumble into it by accident.

The biggest reason to wait a bit before switching to FN 11 is that it isn't even officially released yet, and users are more likely to run into bugs than if they waited until it is released + one or two bug-fix releases.

Stux

MVP
And, the "old" GUI is the default. You have to take specific action to see the new GUI, so you won't stumble into it by accident.

The biggest reason to wait a bit before switching to FN 11 is that it isn't even officially released yet, and users are more likely to run into bugs than if they waited until it is released + one or two bug-fix releases.

Of course, if you have a test system, it might be a good time to test it... that way your critical issues might have a chance of being fixed in the release ;)

Stilez

Guru
@microbug , @Kevin Horton - thanks, perfect information. May be worth noting in the announcement, both for the RC (now 11 is open to a wider audience than dev's + cutting edge users) and for the final release :) Avoids anxiety/uncertainty. Always good advice to wait a bit unless a feature is much needed and the release believed well tested and robust. FreeNAS 11 seems to be incremental releases as far as the underlying code goes, and FreeBSD 11 has been out quite a while. So perhaps it's fairly safe. Also after v10/Corrall I doubt iX would allow a release they didn't feel almost absolutely safe, a second fail by user perceptions would be a real problem, which suggests a higher confidence level in 11 when released. I'll upgrade in a bit once I see how the bug list shapes up or 11.01 comes out - but I wouldn't if I didn't feel clear on that wording ambiguity.

jclendineng

Explorer
Going to boot a VM tonight, I'm correct in assuming I cannot upgrade a live server to 11? I'm on 9.10 stable, and this is just an update plus bsd11? Anyhow booting a VM to test :) Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.