FreeNAS 11.0 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisG

Cadet
If anyone has successfully upgraded from 9.10 to 11 and retained their Plex jail, can you post? It's about the only jail that I don't care to put energy into reconfiguring.
Yes, I did this. There were no problems.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I was running Corral sadly and yesterday I decided to go back to 9.10.2-U4. I changed the boot environment and I was back on 9.10. I then updated to 9.10.2-U5 and then went straight to 11.0. Everything seems to run fine ATM (don't have any old jails or VMs or Docker images running) but I am bit confused wasn't FreeNAS 11.0 to a new AngularJS GUI? But I am only seeing the old 9.10 GUI?

Last edited by a moderator:

gparaskevas

Cadet
I have to say that I am very impressed by the FreeNAS team! My story with FreeNAS goes like this...

My first FreeNAS experience was with FreeNAS 10 beta releases and I was quite surprised by the improvements but also by the instability. Then it became stable but it was far from stable in real life. Then it was abandoned and I went back with 9.10 importing my zfs with no hassle at all, finding my self with a rocksolid installation (9.10). Upgraded last night, almost 2 months after the corral fiasco, I have a new version which seems to be very stable as I have expected and with new features.
What more can someone ask...

Thanks FreeNAS team!

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hey, guys!

Just one more point of feedback: the new UI is a mess! Sorry for being so rude, but I really hope this is just a "technology preview" showing what can be done with the new framework and by no means a "design preview".

I'm 49 years old and need to wear reading glasses, now. The glassy, 3D-y things with light text on dark are illegible! Really!

Please please please, make all that stuff flat and high contrast ... Corral really shined in this regard, the UI was a pleasure to work with, even though it was light text on dark background. I'm not "blind", I could live with a dark theme - but combined with the glassy 3D effects, no way!

As for dark vs. light I really thought this wasn't a point of discussion anymore since the Atari ST with it's paper white CRT monitor. Black on white is proven to be more ergonomic than the other way round. Yet many of my colleagues set their systems to a dark theme. Well, they'll grow older, too ;)

Apart from that: no problems whatsoever. Migrated two Bhyve VMs from Corral, recreated services and shares, works like a charm.

Kind regards,
Patrick

Arwen

MVP
Hey, guys!

Just one more point of feedback: the new UI is a mess! Sorry for being so rude, but I really hope this is just a "technology preview" showing what can be done with the new framework and by no means a "design preview".

I'm 49 years old and need to wear reading glasses, now. The glassy, 3D-y things with light text on dark are illegible! Really!
They are going to support at least one more theme, especially for those with eyesight problems. I don't have the bug / feature number handy.

That said, it may take time for them to get the new GUI and additional themes ready.

jdp_80

Cadet
I upgraded 9.3->9.10->11 and almost perfect, although my jails created before 9.2(?) fail to get an IP address following the upgrade to 11.

According to https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23826 this won't be fixed, so recreate any old jails in 9.3/9.10 before going to 11.

danb35

Hall of Famer

fracai

Guru
...or recreate them in 11 after upgrading.
Recreating them before upgrading provides less down time; you can create the new jail while the old one is still running. Upgrading first means your jail services are down until you've created the new jail.

SlackerDude

Explorer
Please forgive following dumb questions. I have read everything I can find so far before posting this. I'm currently running Plex, Transmission, Couchpotato, Sickrage & Headphones in plugin jails & a FEMP server in a standard jail. Is there a way of determining whether a jail in v9.10.2-U5 needs to be recreated prior to upgrading to v11.0? Looking at the template information, I can see I currently have two; "PlugIn" & "Standard". I see the URLs for the templates are http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64/freenas-pluginjail-10.3-RELEASE.tgz & http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64/freenas-standard-10.3-RELEASE.tgz. Is there a way to determine what the actual jails are based on?. Perhaps a query performed from within the shell of one?

zoomzoom

Guru
Why has the decision been made to continue with the default http, and not https, for the plugin and jail repositories on a new install of FreeNAS?
  • This seems like a no-brainer to default them, and any other download urls, to https, as there's no way for one to easily verify if the backend is downloading a file from download.freenas.org over http which hasn't been tampered with.
    • Are there commands in whichever arbitrary script these actions call to verify either the pgp signing key (if they're signed) or the sha256 hash?
      • If there are, the script location(s) should be added to the Guide, otherwise users are left to assume neither of these are performed, and that's extremely concerning.

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
Looking at the template information, I can see I currently have two; "PlugIn" & "Standard". Is there a way to determine what the actual jails are based on?
All plugins create jails based upon the plugin template. The standard template would be used when creating a jail manually, at which point you would select from the drop down which template you'd like to create the jail with (as you can also add jail templates).

SlackerDude

Explorer
Thank you, zoomzoom. As usual, after I posted my question(s), I think I found my answer. This what I found.

From one of my current plugin jails I found:

root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # uname -K
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # uname -U
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # pkg query "%v %q" sqlite3
3.8.8.3 freebsd:9:x86:64

From a newly created standard jail:

root@test:/ # uname -K
root@test:/ # uname -U
root@test:/ # pkg query "%v %q" sqlite3
3.18.0 FreeBSD:10:amd64
root@test:/ #

I'm guessing I also need to recreate my plugin and standard jails before I dip a toe into the upgrade waters...

zoomzoom

Guru
@SlackerDude I don't believe that has anything to do with the plugin vs standard template... That output is telling you the FreeBSD OS ver and CPU architecture of the template that was used to create those jails, not whether the template was a standard or plugin template.
  • 3.8.8.3 [likely version of sqlite3 pkg] freebsd: [OS] 9: [OS ver] x86:64 [CPU arch x86_64]
  • 3.18.10 [likely version of sqlite3 pkg] FreeBSD: [OS] 10: [OS ver] amd64 [CPU arch x64]

brando56894

Wizard
I decided to pull the trigger and switch back to FreeNAS 11 after jumping ship from FreeNAS 10 (which ended up biting me in the a$$, hopefully it won't do so again). I wasn't planning on migrating until 11.1 but ZFS on Linux has been pissing me off since it's a kernel module and in order to save your sanity you have to be on a LTS OS like CentOS/RHEL but their kernels are ancient (v7.3 still uses 3.10 for some reason!), or if using a distro that uses a more recent kernel you have to make sure that the SPL module coincides with the most recent kernel update.

I'm anxiously awaiting changes to the new UI :)

SlackerDude

Explorer
@zoomzoom Yes, I understand that. My question was will my existing jails (both plugin and standard) survive the upgrade to FN 11.0, or should I recreate them prior to performing the upgrade?

zoomzoom

Guru
@SlackerDude I don't know, however going from the posts above, it appears any jails created on 9.3+ should survive the upgrade. To be safe, I'd clone your boot environment, and select the install option to install alongside other boot environments (i.e. not formatting, partitioning) if you can't upgrade through the WebUI

Status
Not open for further replies.