FreeNAS 11.1-BETA1 Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

fracai

Guru
I haven't played with iocage much but does it have any inbuilt functionality to keep jails up to date? this was one of my gripes with warden (which I solved mostly with custom scripts).
Looks like it'll be possible.
http://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-use.html
Specifically see the section on updating and upgrading. The warning about "basejails" ( see also: https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/jailtypes.html ) is most likely not a concern for FreeNAS jails.

Garyw

Dabbler
I've just upgraded a test box to this. There are some interesting discrepancies between the "normal" UI and the BETA UI. For example, the beta UI doesn't have "cloud sync" but it does have a calendar.

xCatalystx

Contributor
Looks like it'll be possible.
http://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-use.html
Specifically, see the section on updating and upgrading. The warning about "basejails" ( see also: https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/jailtypes.html ) is most likely not a concern for FreeNAS jails.

that's good news. I don't like being bleeding edge, but massively out of date is just as bad. I just find things that require large cpu cycles and more advance acl's works so much better in jails.

edit: with some cleaver scripting and use of json files you can pretty much make a dockerfile for jails. that's pretty neat.

Last edited:

amiskell

Patron
edit: with some cleaver scripting and use of json files you can pretty much make a dockerfile for jails. that's pretty neat.

That's supposed to be the basis of the new plugin system when everything is officially on iocage. People can build json templates for iocage to build the jail and install the software from pkg (like plex) along with specifying an "artifact" location to download any post-install or extra items required for the build.

Check out https://github.com/freenas/iocage-ix-plugins for all the pre-built ones by iX, it's a drastically simpler processes than the old warden based jails. The templates need a little more documentation around them but it could be very useful and a very good alternative to using docker for most common services (along with being better performing than docker on FreeBSD).

brando56894

Wizard
The New UI is looking good, but some things are still holding me back, like I can't get access to the display via webVNC of my test VM that I created. I'm using yesterday's nightly build. Integrated Docker support would be nice, but I could always setup Docker in my VM. edit: seems to work well in the 201711100524 nightly :D

unRAID is killing the performance of my server. I've been downloading about 12 4K UHD rips using NZBget at about 60-75 MB/sec and Netdata shows that my IO wait is hanging around 60-75% while it's downloading and post-processing, which makes my Windows HTPC VM stutter (other VM is Linux and has all usenet stuff and my webserver). All this is writing to my cache drive which is a SATA Samsung 850 Evo, which I guess can't handle all the IOPS from two VMs and using it as a cache drive, not to mention getting filled up all the time even though it's 500 GB. I guess I should get an NVMe drive soon, since I was going to use one (or two!) in FreeNAS as either an L2ARC or a drive specifically for temporary downloads and ZVOLs for my VMs.

Last edited:

Zwck

Patron
I just switched to the Beta after backing up some of my more important stuff and i think the UI team is doing an excellent job. ! Cheers

joeschmuck

Old Man
I shifted over to the nightlies to catch the updates, I am starting to like the new GUI. Did I just say that out loud! Well it's growing on me. I can't wait for it to be 100% functional.

Great job by the developers!

brando56894

Wizard
I shifted over to the nightlies to catch the updates, I am starting to like the new GUI. Did I just say that out loud! Well it's growing on me. I can't wait for it to be 100% functional.

Great job by the developers!

I guess this old dog has a few tricks left to learn, huh? :D

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Now why did you have to go and post this! Out of respect, I'm now gonnahavta update my test box
and see this new UI for myself.

I was perfectly content sittin' here (on my day off) in front of my monitor, napping between sips of coffee.

Thanks Old Man ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Now why did you have to go and post this! Out of respect, I'm now gonnahavta update my test box
and see this new UI for myself.

I was perfectly content sittin' here (on my day off) in front of my monitor, napping between sips of coffee.

Thanks Old Man ;)
Sorry to wake you up.

pyrojoe34

Cadet
CPU temp monitoring is way off for me. Graph shows a constant 31-32C on all cores (even under load), while
Code:
sysctl -a | grep temp

shows temps about 15-20C higher than that. CPU is an FX-8120 (which I know has terrible temp reporting anyway), but people should know that they cannot rely on the current state of the temp graph in the UI. I'm really happy this was added but it's not yet usable as is.

Another issue I'm having is trying to install a Win 10 VM always gets stuck at "installing updates" during the setup screen, I left it there for a few hrs with no changes. If I try to quit and boot back up it drops me into the shell, I try to exit and find the boot file manually but it's not where it should be so the install never completed. This is better than 11.0-U4 which never made it past the splash screen before install though. Ubuntu VM still runs fine, only Windows has this issue. (*See Edit)

Thanks for adding VNC resolution settings, that was huge for me.

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the new UI. It seems like it has less info than it used to (especially in reporting, I have to hover the mouse to get values rather than just seeing them below the graph) and wastes more space to give you the same info. It also takes longer to navigate using the new "minimalist" look. I usually am all for minimalist but not if it makes it harder to navigate and get info.

Thanks for your hard work guys. I hope the remaining bugs can get ironed out soon.

*Edit: I was able to install Windows after all. The issue was that the default setting in loader for number of CPUs per socket was 1. Since Win10 Pro can't do more than 2 sockets it was failing when I allocated more than 2 virtual cores to the VM. I installed it with only 1 virtual core and it ran fine. When I tried to give it more virt cores after install it only was able to see two of them. I then changed the setting in the loader.conf to 8 CPU cores per socket (which is what my CPU has) and Windows was able to recognize all the allocated virtual cores.

Last edited:

styno

Patron
Just a quick question: how is one supposed to upgrade from FreeNAS-11.1-RC1 to RC3? Every update method that I know of ends with "Manifest Signature verification failed"

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Same question. Trying to manually update RC1 from this file: http://download.freenas.org/11/RC3/FreeNAS-11.1-RC3-manual-update.tar leads to this error:

Environment: Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-RC1 (ff06285bd) Request Method: POST Request URL: http://freenas-pmh.local/system/manualupdate/?X-Progress-ID=82e68d64-9cf6-4306-8b43-26b871104c94 Traceback: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py" in check_output 336. **kwargs).stdout File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py" in run 418. output=stdout, stderr=stderr) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner 42. response = get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response 249. response = self._get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response 178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view 23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in view 68. return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in dispatch 237. response = super(WizardView, self).dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/views/generic/base.py" in dispatch 88. return handler(request, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in post 300. return self.render_done(form, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/formtools/wizard/views.py" in render_done 357. **kwargs) Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /system/manualupdate/ Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: Failed to apply update Command '['/usr/local/bin/freenas-update', '-C', '/var/tmp/firmware', 'update']' returned non-zero exit status 1.: b'']

Kind regards,
Patrick

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

ThreeDee

Guru
RC3 installed and seemingly working just fine

Junicast

Patron
I just went from version 11 to 11.1 RC3
I didn't go through all menus thoroughly, that's just what I tripped over.

1) bhyve
1.1) Old GUI: Linux guest actually has a NIC and it also works, but it's just not listed. Guest had been setup in 11.
It still works on 11.1 RC3 but the weird thing is that this guest doesn't have any more devices listed. Other devices like VNC: same.
1.2) Both GUI: VNC generally doesn't work, neither via WebGUI nor with native client.
1.3) New GUI: Virtualization: Guest buttons "Devices" and "VNC" just do nothing (Firefox 57.0, Chromium 62.0.3202.89). In table view I can get to devices list and the devices are actually there in contrast to 1.1).
1.4) New GUI. Loading guests in table view sometimes takes very long. Yellow status Bar on top gets stuck at 100%. Usually the list is loaded MUCH quicker. Tested in Chromium 62.0.3202.89.

2) iocage
2.1) IPv6 support isn't really there. Reportedly you can assign a static IPv6 address, but that's not what IPv6 is about, right? Static assignment didn't work for me though.
2.2) I wasn't able to enable DHCP via new WebGUI, I did it via command line iocage. Generally speaking I would wish administration of such things were as easy as they were with warden.
2.3) I cannot connect to the guest's console via WebGUI at all.

3) Volumes
3.1) New GUI: In old GUI I could go to "Storage - Volumes - volume_name - volume status". I can't find the counterpart in the new GUI.
3.2) New GUI: As a consequence of 3.1 I don't know where to replace disks or edit disk options like SMART.

4) Plugins
4.1) New GUI doesn't seem to support Plugin system.

I think the new GUI should be removed or at least be hidden as long as it's this far from finished. The odds for errors / frustration are high.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brer

Explorer
1) bhyve
1.1) Old GUI: Linux guest actually has a NIC and it also works, but it's just not listed. Guest had been setup in 11.
It still works on 11.1 RC3 but the weird thing is that this guest doesn't have any more devices listed. Other devices like VNC: same.
1.2) Both GUI: VNC generally doesn't work, neither via WebGUI nor with native client.
1.3) New GUI: Virtualization: Guest buttons "Devices" and "VNC" just do nothing (Firefox 57.0, Chromium 62.0.3202.89). In table view I can get to devices list and the devices are actually there in contrast to 1.1).
1.4) New GUI. Loading guests in table view sometimes takes very long. Yellow status Bar on top gets stuck at 100%. Usually the list is loaded MUCH quicker. Tested in Chromium 62.0.3202.89.

I too have the same issue, the more annoying one is that I can't seem to connect to any VM via the Web VNC or client VNC, I use both Tiger and Tight, maybe a route is missing from the host.

JoeB

Contributor
Is there any way to also get FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE in a jail? It's installing 11.0 :

# freebsd-version
11.0-RELEASE-p1

Status
Not open for further replies.