FreeNAS 11.0-RC now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

maydo

Contributor
but there is also one thing i have to say which is better on fn11(9) compared to corral :)

it needs definitily less cpu ressources.

corral
- same hardware
- boot2docker for containers
- same containers
- same zpool(s)

fn11
- same hardware
- ubuntu iohyve vm for containers
- same containers
- same zpool(s)

Sir.Robin

Guru
Call it Corral, FreeNAS 9/11 or whatever.

Bottom line is, it's a NAS.
And it should function WELL and STABLE and offcourse disk changes should be EASY and functional. As should all underlying features and the setup of a NAS.

Second comes all the nice to have features as docker, VM, fancy UI and all the other stuff/jails and addons.

Do whatever, but don't mess up the core feature, the NAS.... please :)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Junicast

Patron
Call it Corral, FreeNAS 9/11 or whatever.
[...]
Do whatever, but don't mess up the core feature, the NAS.... please :)

I agree. The fact that it had been messed with shows that quality management failed, not that the whole approach was wrong IMO. Besides performance it just worked for me.

but there is also one thing i have to say which is better on fn11(9) compared to corral :)

it needs definitily less cpu ressources.

Oh yes, and boot time. I couldn't believe it at first :-D
Also: SMB performance. Mine dropped significantly but I never thought that this was unsolveable.

Anyhow... I will miss a lot of what Corral promised. Thank you jkh. Maybe someone might want to fork it someday.

joeschmuck

Old Man
This is a good thing. I also brought this topic up in the Staff Room Topics. It didn't get much discussion there but maybe it was enough.

Anyhow... I will miss a lot of what Corral promised. Thank you jkh. Maybe someone might want to fork it someday.
While you may feel like all the features Corral offered are gone, just wait and I'm sure most of these things will pop up once they can be implemented properly. FreeNAS 11.x will have a lot of those features.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You know that I cringe just a bit when I hear the words "that's a feature" becasue it typically means there is a development flaw that we didn't have to pay for in our software. This is of course a work related thing. So someone will tell me that one of the computers at work doesn't perform function X properly and I just say "that's a feature", "you didn't pay extra for that feature", "that feature was no cost!", "hey! that's a new feature", or something similar. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

hervon

Patron
If I understand correctly, it is pretty safe to update from 9.10.2-U3 to 11 RC1 while retaining current jails and using curent GUI. Am I right ?

joeschmuck

Old Man
If I understand correctly, it is pretty safe to update from 9.10.2-U3 to 11 RC1 while retaining current jails and using curent GUI. Am I right ?
What do you mean safe? If you are asking if RC1 is safe to use on your FreeNAS system, I'd say not yet. While I doubt it will harm anything, why take the risk. RC2 is planned to come out as well. I would use RC1 and RC2 on a backup system but not the primary. If you are just askign if it works with the jails properly, that is of course a different answer which was already priovided.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Hello, I would like to finally try the VM feature, is there any guide around? I tried to create one, but it doesn't start (v11 RC)- Thank you

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hello, I would like to finally try the VM feature, is there any guide around? I tried to create one, but it doesn't start (v11 RC)- Thank you
Guide, we don't need no stinkin' guides. ;)

Search the forums (do a Google search for "freenas 11 create vm", I've seen a few threads where people are discussing how to create a VM. Corral has a guide but honestly since I haven't created a VM on FreeNAS yet, I can't tell you how close it will get you.

gpsguy

joeschmuck

Old Man
OMG, where did that come from! 11 docs? Outstanding!

gpsguy

Stux

MVP
Was expecting to be on Corral by now. And able to access its VM functionality.

Unfortunately this never happened, so in retrospect I should've set up ESXi.

Sigh.

Tried investigating the VM functionality the other day, the manual will help now :)

FWIW, Core 2 Quad era CPUs don't support bhyve ;)

Guess I need to try RC1 on my primary FreeNAS :-/

It's been okay so far in my tests.

(I now have a requirement for a docker host )

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sometime in late April the docs were bumped from 9.10.x to 11.0.

I check the commits to the docs [https://github.com/freenas/freenas-docs/commits/master] on a daily basis and have been generating 11.0 PDF/ePub versions every week or so.
I did a quick skim through the PDF version and I like it so far. I'd check out the ePub but my ultra smart flip phone doesn't handle ePubs. Guess I could get an ePub reader for the computer but why when it's in PDF.

I appreciate your efforts sir. And the link in your signature.

gpsguy

Thanks, but the credit goes to iXsystems (mainly wblock these days) for writing and maintaining the 9.x, now, 11.0 docs.

I maintain a FreeBSD VM (actually 2), that I use to build the files. Just run a script and in a few minutes it's done and uploaded to the web server. I make the files available to the community, so they have easy access to the other formats, without having to maintain their own build environment.

I use the PDF version as a reference to provide support on the forums.

When I started doing this back in January 2015, I only built the PDF version. At some point along the way, I was asked whether I could create an ePub version. Since was easy, sure.

David Peltz

Cadet
You can force it from the CLI:

# freenas-update -v -T FreeNAS-11-STABLE update
I tried this and it said to reboot, after which I was still on a nightly and attempting in the UI to switch trains left me in the same state as before. To clarify, I was on Corral but did a clean install and just imported my pool using the 11 nightly. Any help appreciated, especially if step by step (I am a FreeNAS noob as of corral and am not a nix person so the CLI is, while not daunting, not familiar to me).

EDIT: This is resolved. I had previously tried within the shell launched from the GUI. Once I tried using SSH, all seemed to go as planned and I am now on STABLE.

Last edited:

Lars Day

Dabbler
For the new GUI, please ensue that functionality present in the current GUI is also available.
E.G. Startup/Shutdown Scripts, Tunables, etc. The new GUI looks nice but hopefully it will not sacrifice functionality for looks.
Thanks to all for continuing the development of FreeNAS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ykno

Dabbler
Home user only 3TB of storage with redundancy and I'm currently running on Corral and just found out last night Corral was caned, I don't check the forums a lot clearly,

I have couple dockers but not end world as they can be installed as plugins/jails, and apart from that and one test VM I created I didn't use much of corral newer features so I'm going to roll back and want to do it this weekend as my weekend look free at the moment so my question is,

Should I install 9.10.2-U3, 11.0-RC other option is to wait for full release of 11.0 but like I said I have free weekend this weekend so that's not a good option in this case,

Any thought would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.