FreeNAS 11.0 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...or better yet, install to a fresh USB stick and upload your config file. If the jails don't start and work properly, switch back to the old boot device.

SlackerDude

Explorer
@zoomzoom & @danb35 It seems I've been overthinking/stressing this thing. No need to launch a nuke when a well-aimed rock will achieve the same result. :)

Being a belt AND suspenders kind of guy, I cloned the boot environment and created a separate install USB stick. I will post my results tomorrow.

Stux

MVP
Why has the decision been made to continue with the default http, and not https, for the plugin and jail repositories on a new install of FreeNAS?
  • This seems like a no-brainer to default them, and any other download urls, to https, as there's no way for one to easily verify if the backend is downloading a file from download.freenas.org over http which hasn't been tampered with.
    • Are there commands in whichever arbitrary script these actions call to verify either the pgp signing key (if they're signed) or the sha256 hash?
      • If there are, the script location(s) should be added to the Guide, otherwise users are left to assume neither of these are performed, and that's extremely concerning.

Better to download the hash via https. HTTPS wasn't generally cachable last I checked, and that could be a big deal...

vikozo6

Patron
Will the upgrade work if i change the "Update Train" from Corral-nightlies to FreeNAS-11-Stable?? :oops:
Now I have FreeNAS-Corral-MASTER-201704112014 :(
with Docker

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer

vikozo6

Patron
F** so i will loss all my Data's and VM and Dockers - wo will there be a script to upgrade?

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's a real pity that nobody's put together a document that answers all your questions.

Howard Swope

Dabbler
Glad to hear things are moving forward. For me, I am stuck on version 10 Corral until FreeIPA support is available in 11 :( .

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

amen

Dabbler
Hi
I am in Corral with dockers, in 11.1 it will be possible the upgrade?

Last edited by a moderator:

aerodesic

Cadet
Just went through an 'update' to 11 myself (waited a few weeks due to being lazy.) The 'switch to 11 stable' didn't work so well - ended up reporting lots of disk issues (with boot flash drive) after update, so I just installed fresh, blowing all old stuff away. After bring it up, I simply imported my pool and !presto! it was all back (at least the data.) Almost painless. I should point out that I made the switch to Corral before it was found to be too buggy to use. Its Web GUI has been down for months - after reboot it would work for a few minutes then start failing to let me log in. In spite of that, replications continued four times a day without hitch for the last several months.

For reference, I'm running a recent MINI-XL purchased from iX (via Amazon earlier this year) and am using it strictly as a hot backup server, so nothing tricky with respect to jails, VMs or plugins - it's just a replication target for now.

My main server is an older MINI (purchased direct from iX back about 6 years ago) still running 8.3.something. Would upgrade, but it needs a bigger flash :-( so will be swapping places for these two eventually putting new MINI XL as primary and relegating the older one as backup (after replacing flash drive and bringing up to latest version.)

My experience with FreeNAS (and iX) has been awesome. Completely rock solid 100% uptime with absolutely no file corruption or other horrors even with the (despite UPS) 10 to 20 power failures a year (most do complete shutdown before complete loss of power.) Only 'problem' has been one dead 3tb WD Red in all this time, replaced and resilvered without incident. It's been as trouble free as a microwave (actually better considering I've replaced mine within the last couple of years.)

Please keep up the good work and know that the effort is appreciated to all the FreeNAS team.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If the boot device in your Mini XL is failing, contact iX and they'll probably ship you a replacement that you can install yourself.

aerodesic

Cadet
Haven't determined it was really a failure (and not sure how to really test it - help is appreciated if you have ideas.) The system spat out occasional errors during boot that indicated a 'timeout' or some error on ada2 (the flash module) - scrolls off screen quickly and haven't had camera ready to capture. Didn't have presence of mind to capture the dmesg... Problem seems completely gone now. If problem recurs, I will take this to another forum...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Haven't determined it was really a failure (and not sure how to really test it - help is appreciated if you have ideas.) The system spat out occasional errors during boot that indicated a 'timeout' or some error on ada2 (the flash module) - scrolls off screen quickly and haven't had camera ready to capture. Didn't have presence of mind to capture the dmesg... Problem seems completely gone now. If problem recurs, I will take this to another forum...
Start a new thread and include the output of camcontrol devlist and, if you can figure it out by yourself, the output of smartctl -x /dev/adaX for the boot device. [CODE][/CODE] tags please.

Sorry if these are stupid questions (that may have been addressed above and misunderstood), but what is the status of 11.0-U1? I can't locate it in the roadmap (seems to go straight to U2), but there is mention of it being in QA in this thread. Also, being generally ignorant of the development process, will U2-U4 be shipped prior to 11.1? e.g. Will 11.1 be deferred until the U2-U4 updates are completed, or do they roll forward / get included in the 11.1 release? I don't understand the structure of the roadmap relative to the expected release schedule - if anyone could shed some light, I'd be grateful.

Stux

MVP
U1 has been released and is the current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.