J

jkh

By the way, doesn't this code:
Code:
        if os.path.exists("%s/.windows" % path):
            share_type = "windows"
        elif os.path.exists("%s/.windows" % path):
            share_type = "apple"

Only test for a ".windows" file ? Is that a copy/paste gone bad? Not familiar with Python.
Indeed! Good catch. It's a benign bug, but still a bug. We'll fix that. ;)

benamira

Explorer
G Brown:
For example, you shouldn't share the same data with more than 1 protocol to prevent file corruption. There is not and will most likely never be a fix for this problem. This is not a FreeNAS problem but is a problem with servers running multiple protocols.

Maybe this should be clarified if with FreeNAS it is not recommended.
Multiprotocol access to same FS is a functionality that is implemented and working in many NAS systems for years.
This functionality is usually requested by many customers and has thousands of implementations.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Maybe this should be clarified if with FreeNAS it is not recommended.
Multiprotocol access to same FS is a functionality that is implemented and working in many NAS systems for years.
This functionality is usually requested by many customers and has thousands of implementations.

It's documented in the manual... what more do you want? Are you really choosing to not read the manual before deploying a server that is about to store your very sacred data? When you are pro you can choose not to read the manual. And if you are pro you should already know this. But if you aren't pro you'd better not argue why the manual shouldn't be consulted. There's so many ways you can lose your data that cannot possibly be coded into warnings and such that if you aren't using the manual you are the one putting your data at risk and not anyone else.

aufalien

Patron
Hey G Brown,

I do it w/o issue and disable locking via client side. Keep in mind that manuals are written to cover a broad base. In cases were ppl know what they are doing, its a non issue.

J

jkh

Seems to work fine for me. Please list exact steps to reproduce the problem (and file a bug, don't use the forum to report problems). Thanks!

benamira

Explorer
It's documented in the manual... what more do you want? Are you really choosing to not read the manual before deploying a server that is about to store your very sacred data? When you are pro you can choose not to read the manual. And if you are pro you should already know this. But if you aren't pro you'd better not argue why the manual shouldn't be consulted. There's so many ways you can lose your data that cannot possibly be coded into warnings and such that if you aren't using the manual you are the one putting your data at risk and not anyone else.

You're completely right regarding the RTFM... Also i'm not an expert in freenas.
But the intention of my post was not complaining, even i was pretty sure if cyberjock ;)says that ;) , it 's because it is well documented, or at least discussed in the forums many times.

The point i don't agree is when you say:

"There is not and will most likely never be a fix for this problem. This is not a FreeNAS problem but is a problem with servers running multiple protocols."

As i said in my post, there are many NAS systems that implement Multiprotocol access to same FS without issues. In fact, and this is just an opinion, this is a must-have for a Networked Attached Storage in 2014, what do you think??

I love freenas anyway for many other reasons, and in the past i have shared same FS between CIFS, AFP and NFS clients (without issues). Now all my environment is homogeneus so, currently i use a single protocol (so i am in the "best practices" in this point, according to the manual) :)

thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
As i said in my post, there are many NAS systems that implement Multiprotocol access to same FS without issues. In fact, and this is just an opinion, this is a must-have for a Networked Attached Storage in 2014, what do you think??

Someone made this argument a few months ago. And if you check the documentation on Nexenta, Illumos, FreeBSD, and I think Synology they ALL say in their documentation not to mix files and protocols.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just realized that RC is out, so I'll be locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.