FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3 Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYPD

Dabbler
Ouch. Make sure to submit a ticket and let us know what steps you took.
Ok really strange, the update and/or the reboot from the update made my LSI 9211-8i card go bonkers. The bios nor the FreeNAS OS saw any of the drives but booting into the LSI card's bios utility showed all the drives attached to it in healthy conditions. It seemed like the card would not want to boot up prior to the FreeNAS OS booting up.

I then shutdown the system completely and turned off the power supply for a few seconds and turned it back on. Now the card initialized properly before FreeNAS. I'm not sure is something in the update caused this or if it is something bad configured in my setup, but this is the first time after i flashed the card to IT where the initializing step went wonky.

Should I still submit an issue? Or do you think my configuration is to blame?

NismoC32

Cadet
Trying to update from 11.2B2 to latest beta 3 but I get the following error message:
[Errno 13] Permission denied: './ValidateUpdate'

UPDATE: Found the reason, had no dataset with exec option turned on.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
Dang updating broke all my pools lol.
I'll try some stuff before I submit a bug report.

Thanks for your testing! I haven't had a chance to update yet but I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Aurimas

Dabbler
After update my system did not start. Restarted couple of times and now its on. But i got error msg when trying to enter update / plugins:
<urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known>
I confirm, that my hostname and nameserver1 is entered.

Update: My SMB shares broke, cannot access server over network.

Last edited:

Fil

Dabbler
No major issues so far testing in VMware Workstation, great job guys keep up the good work! :)
I did have to enable Intel VT-x for FreeNAS to boot up though (previous versions didn't do this).

kdragon75

Wizard
I did have to enable Intel VT-x for FreeNAS to boot up though (previous versions didn't do this).
What was the error you received? This is a red flag for me as I keep VT-x disabled on servers that are not intended as VM hosts.

Fil

Dabbler
What was the error you received? This is a red flag for me as I keep VT-x disabled on servers that are not intended as VM hosts.

Weirdly enough I tried to disable it again and it booted just fine, the first time I did it the host just kept rebooting in a loop. Here are the warnings I got:

kdbFeM7.png

ro55_mo

Dabbler
The network adapters have disappeared from my virtual machines (Ubuntu 16.04) despite the devices being present in the FreeNAS GUI. I have tried removing and replacing them, rebooting the VMs and swapping between VirtIO and E1000. I will create a bug report.

I'm failing to update using the Download Upate option. Downloads OK lets me tick for install and reboot, takes ages on installing Base OS 1/5 and eoither after that or further quick stages I missed it reboots back to 11.2B2

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm failing to update using the Download Upate option. Downloads OK lets me tick for install and reboot, takes ages on installing Base OS 1/5 and eoither after that or further quick stages I missed it reboots back to 11.2B2
Make sure that your boot device is working properly and not excessively full.

Plenty of room on Boot disk (32GB disk with less than 2GB used). I tried a manual install and got the attached fail message. The included log was :
Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 332, in run
	await self.future
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/coroutines.py", line 129, in throw
	return self.gen.throw(type, value, traceback)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 361, in __run_body
	rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 658, in nf
	return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 503, in file
	await self.middleware.call('notifier.destroy_upload_location')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1017, in call
	return await self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, pipes=pipes, io_thread=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 967, in _call
	return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 913, in run_in_io_thread
	return await self.loop.run_in_executor(executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
	result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 1577, in destroy_upload_location
	raise MiddlewareError("Could not destroy memory device: %s" % err)
freenasUI.middleware.exceptions.MiddlewareError: [MiddlewareError: Could not destroy memory device: mdconfig: ioctl(/dev/mdctl): Device busy
]

Attachments

• Freenas.PNG
    Freenas.PNG
    784.1 KB · Views: 593
Last edited by a moderator:

Aurimas

Dabbler
Did a few restarts of the server and everything works now. Still missing Plugins managing panel. How to change settings of a plugin? Example xmrig, how can i configure it? Cannot find a way.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Anyone else? I’m feeling reluctant

ThreeDee

Guru
if jails are migrating to iocage without issue with this release .. I'll definitely do the upgrade .. 11.1-U6 is working great for me now though

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
if jails are migrating to iocage without issue with this release .. I'll definitely do the upgrade .. 11.1-U6 is working great for me now though

I haven't tested the migration script and I don't have an old 11.1 Warden jail anymore to do so, but it did work in Beta 2, with some very basic, but consistent fiddling of about 4 settings.
If you need a hand - check my post history (created threads) - that should help

Diode

Dabbler
Update did not go well. After restart, went to Grub recovery screen. Booted after a couple of tries, got GUI, but obviously lost config, since Web GUI address not set. After manually setting, (Gasp!) it looked like all my main ZFS data pool was gone.
Had to revert to Beta 2 environment, and all is well. Two separate servers had identical behaviour. Tried manual install of Beta 3 onto fresh mirror pair of USB sticks. Still does not find the main data ZFS pool, as I am used to seeing with fresh installs. I will wait until next update. Scary.

diskdiddler

Wizard
You're the second person to report this and I caved in, I'm right in the middle of upgrading mine as we speak......... .......... oh boy.

EDIT: my old AMD N54L Often takes a very, very long time to update, I've found the best method is to just leave it alone and pray to the gods kind of thing.

It might be dead though, it's been an 1 hour :16 minutes and she's still not back. Will update the thread see if it helps others.
(I can't WAIT to get an IPMI server...)

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
EDIT: Wait there's movement.

Ok after a 90 minute update, power off / on and then waiting another solid 10 to 15 minutes, it's back and seems ok.
Worrying, very very long update.

I'll report in if stuff breaks but that's the longest by far now. My machine is awfully weak but normally a solid 30 minutes and it's done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.