FreeNAS 11.2-RELEASE has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just happy right now that it works with the FireFox browser because originally it was going to be Chrome only.
I am going to try and be restrained in my comments, but I feel compelled to add my feeling that it is atrocious that forcing a single browser was even considered!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you fscking kidding me?
Temper temper. What was once an idea is no longer. There was some strong feedback when this was made known and as you can see all things worked out. The only reason I have Chrome installed on my computer right now was to be able to play with the FreeNAS new GUI during it's initial development.

I was going to give constructive criticism regarding some tweaks to the UI I think would be beneficial
And you should still. Others can benefit from constructive feedback.

danb35

Hall of Famer
@joeschmuck, are you sure it was this GUI where they were considering being Chrome-only? I recall that discussion for the late and unlamented FN10, but not for this GUI.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@joeschmuck, are you sure it was this GUI where they were considering being Chrome-only? I recall that discussion for the late and unlamented FN10, but not for this GUI.
Pretty sure but you could be correct, I do recall when the new UI GUI (after Coral) was expected to be Chrome only as well and certainly did not work with FireFox at all, but the old GUI was still the primary and worked great. Yea, I could be confused but don't sue me for it. I still think Chrome was the original intent even if it was FN10 or 11.1 and someone slapped someone else around and said it just wasn't the smart thing to do. In the end the new GUI was not released for mainline use until FN11.2 and I guess it becomes the only GUI in 11.3?

But I'm sorry for getting us off topic here, it really wasn't my intention. FN11.2 seems pretty good in my testing scenarios and does support various web browsers. [as I try to get attention off of myself]

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you fscking kidding me? Even the fact that that was even considered for the briefest moment is infuriating.
Corral was developed essentially only with Chrome in mind. That's one of the many reasons it died, it was simply too much work to fix the framework to not break on anything else. Even if it hadn't been abandoned.

Fortunately, that idea died with Corral.

hiro5id

Dabbler
I just wanted to add how pleased and proud I am of the FreeNAS team keeping FreeNAS updated, relevant and still free.

I also wanted to say that I rely on the Bhyve virtualization in FreeNAS to run other servers to make better utilization of my existing hardware. This feature is *very* important to me. Even more than plugins. I'm so happy that you are keeping Byhve updated so that I can continue to use it.

Thank you for all your hard work!

andrew_H

Cadet
Just a comment on the release notes page

1. Will I ever want to boot into an earlier version of FreeNAS?
  2. Will I ever want to use these storage disks on another operating system that supports OpenZFS?
Until you are sure that the answer to both questions is “no”, ignore (or dismiss) the alert and do not update the pool.

Im pretty sure its the reverse, if you answered "yes" to either or both, do not update

Bill McCormick

Explorer
I was running along just fine on 11.1-U6 , so yea, why not update to 11.2. Didn't go well and I'm back on 11.1-U6.

Issues:

On a system monitor I have a blank, white screen after it passes the boot loader menus; no text menu after boot. Then the system crashed with swap space issues; I copied the following from a few of the emails that were sent:

Code:
 used swap = 91.5%
the percentage of swap memory used Alarm 

Code:
 out of disk inodes time = 6h
estimated time the disk will run out of inodes, if the system continues to allocate inodes with the rate of the last hour Alarm 

Code:
out of disk space time = 6h
estimated time the disk will run out of space, if the system continues to add data with the rate of the last hour

There were many, many more; not all exactly the same.

Also running a jail on standard-11.0-RELEASE and 2 mostly dormant VM's that use 4 CPU's and 4G RAM

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just a comment on the release notes page

Im pretty sure its the reverse, if you answered "yes" to either or both, do not update
The sentence is correct. "Do not zpool upgrade until you're sure you don't want to downgrade."

Or, if you want to understand the new feature flags, check out the resources section.

Apollo

Wizard
I was running along just fine on 11.1-U6 , so yea, why not update to 11.2. Didn't go well and I'm back on 11.1-U6.

Issues:

On a system monitor I have a blank, white screen after it passes the boot loader menus; no text menu after boot. Then the system crashed with swap space issues; I copied the following from a few of the emails that were sent:

Code:
 used swap = 91.5%

Code:
estimated time the disk will run out of inodes, if the system continues to allocate inodes with the rate of the last hour Alarm 

Code:
estimated time the disk will run out of space, if the system continues to add data with the rate of the last hour

Also running a jail on standard-11.0-RELEASE and 2 mostly dormant VM's that use 4 CPU's and 4G RAM
With 11-2 (can't remember about 11.1) there is Netdata running as a service and is giving update on the state of your system.
I used to have swap being filled up to the point my system would crash. With the Freenas 11.2 Release, the swap is no longer being used. I suspect some jails or memory leak used to be present prior the release.
What happens when you disable your VM?
I find 11.2 Release to be by far more stable than before.

c32767a

Patron
The new UI has some great improvements and the other work (such as the giant strides that anodos is making, developing Apple SMB support) will continue to make FreeNAS an excellent, platform-agnostic choice for anyone that values their data.

I just started playing with 11.2 on a test system.

The underlying platform services seem to be pretty solid, but I'm disappointed in the quality and usability of the new UI.

-fun-

Contributor
On the other hand, I am delighted that the new UI shows hard drive temperatures, something that was only possible via the CLI in the legacy UI days.

Yes! To make this even better: I was delighted to see that the disk temperatures are now shown in the reporting / disk tab in the legacy UI in Release 11.2! There is even a beautiful chart showing the history of disk temperatures, which the new UI doesn't show. Well ...

-fun-

Contributor
I used to have swap being filled up to the point my system would crash.

Happened to me several times in Release 11.1. Very annoying.

With the Freenas 11.2 Release, the swap is no longer being used. I suspect some jails or memory leak used to be present prior the release.

Ah, that explains the swap usage being 0 in the reporting (legacy UI). :smile: This is obviously an important improvement.

-fun-

Contributor
But I'm sorry for getting us off topic here, it really wasn't my intention. FN11.2 seems pretty good in my testing scenarios and does support various web browsers. [as I try to get attention off of myself]

I don't even think this is off topic. I'm using Safari and the snapshot view was never usable (icon and line spacing completely wrong, I don't recall the bug #, was never fixed). My expectation towards the new UI is that it supports all browsers. After my initial tests I too didn't notice any specific problem with Safari. All problems with the new UI aside I consider this a major improvement over the legacy UI!

(Really off topic: I'm using the unifi software for my access points in my home and this doesn't work with Safari, only Chrome. Man I hate this. Would not like to see FreeNAS going the same way ...)

Constantin

Vampire Pig
The underlying platform services seem to be pretty solid, but I'm disappointed in the quality and usability of the new UI.
I'd argue that it's a start. Developing a new UI is always going to be an iterative process. I don't think the developers have yet to finalize what they want, UI-wise, so there are aspects that don't quite make sense. Let me give you an example:

A long time ago, I spent way too much time developing a web site that is largely hand-coded. One of the decisions I had to make was how to present the content. Would it expand and contract or is it allowed a maximum width, and no more? The latter approach is arguably more pure (let the user decide!) and yet aesthetically it didn't make sense. Nor was it readable. So I set a minimum and a maximum width. Bigger browser windows would hence be filled with plain background.

But deciding on such maximums and minimums is important, especially in the context of a complex UI. Yes, a completely dynamic browser experience is possible (let the user decide!) but it makes it far more complex to develop a UI that is usable in all circumstances. Some things need to be compact and shouldn't be spread across the window.

There are windows in the new FreeNAS UI (like the reports page) that implicitly rely on the user having a 4K screen. For example, the hard drive reporting page pretty much needs a grid view whereas other windows (like the pools view) become quasi un-usable IMO when the window is large enough to accommodate the hard drive disk temperature grid reporting view because the data is so spread out that you can't easily see which HDD just failed and needs to be taken off-line before being pulled. The data is simply too spread out.

Resizing the browser window brings some relief, but ultimately those kinds of data-table windows should be just wide enough to accommodate the data therein and no wider, so that it's easy to follow the information in the data table from left to right. If there is "empty" space to the right of the table, so what? I'd even argue for giving users the option to enable an old feature in the Dungeons and Dragons books where every cluster of three rows in a table is either the background color or a slightly different one to help your eye stay in the proper row.

However, the best solution could be simpler where the command/control UI sticks to one window target (built around a 1080 screen, for example) while accommodating the "larger" reporting views by popping up a separate window in which to show that data. That's how I would like to look at my FreeNAS when I'm using it - one compact UI window for commands, tables, and so on, and a separate set of browser windows for hard drive temperatures, CPU temps / tasks, and console messages.

That way, your mouse also doesn't need to constantly skate vast distances to get to menu options. This is another aspect of the new UI that I shake my head at. The UI should not be built around the idea that we all use touch-screen computers. For example, I don't understand why in the storage view the pool is expanded into view on the left side of the window but all commands associated with the pool (detach, etc) are done on the opposite side. Every time you do something to the pool, the pool view snaps shut like a clam and has to be re-expanded into view. Why?

Last edited:

c32767a

Patron
I'd argue that it's a start. Developing a new UI is always going to be an iterative process. I don't think the developers have yet to finalize what they want, UI-wise, so there are aspects that don't quite make sense. Let me give you an example:

The company I work for struggles with UI design fads as well. Usability engineering is a time consuming and tedious process.

It takes work to make sure your pulldown selectors are not invisible in the theme you've chosen (Storage>Pools>Create Pool (pool type)) or page sizing is efficient (as you noted) or basic usability (eg it now takes several clicks and pulldowns to even check a disk's status, vs scrolling in the old ui)

It also takes QA work to notice things like packet count graphs that have Bits/s as the Y label. (Reporting > Network)

I know the process is iterative, but in my opinion, there haven't been enough iterations to make it the new default UI yet. Clearly there is a strong desire to throw the old UI away and rush to get the new UI functional. The underlying storage code seems to still be good quality and free, so I'm not complaining too hard, but the UI's maturity level is disappointing.

pschatz100

Guru
I agree that the new UI "wastes" space. It would be nice to have an option for a more compact layout. If you look at the the way Gmail does things - they give you a choice between "Comfortable" and "Compact". The layouts are the same, but there's less white space in the "Compact" view. Something like that could be a quick win. At the end of the day, however, I would like to see the emphasis put on getting all the displays to work properly. Fine tuning the layout can come later.

I use Firefox. I did not switch to the new UI until 11.2-RC2. One issue for me was that I had to clear browser cache after the update to 11.2-RELEASE. Now, disk temps are only being shown for the first disk the UI sees in the volume - which in my case is ada3. I track my temps manually, so I know they are OK - but it would be nice to have this working properly.

Under the RELEASE, iocage jail management seems to be OK. I have not created any new jails under the new UI, but it picked up my manually created iocage jails and I was even able to update them from 11.1 to 11.2 without incident.

A nice improvement overall.

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard

Issues:

Code:
 used swap = 91.5%

Code:

Code:

There messages are not indication of a fault on the OS, HW or software side.
Those messages are generated by Netdata service as a warning to let you know you have exceeded a warning threshold.
If your swap is still being used while being on 11-2 Release, then it would seem your system needs more RAM.
I think that would explain the inode allocation issue.
Your volume, either Boot or Data are also getting nearly full.

What I don't understand is how can you run a VM allocating 4 CPU and 4GB RAM when your CPU is a 2 Core/2 Thread CPU?
BTW I believe Netdata was introduce with the FreeBSD 11.2 train which explains why you are now getting those messages. I bet, prior to 11.2, you would still have those issues, but they would not have been made aware then.

sremick

Patron
On the other hand, I am delighted that the new UI shows hard drive temperatures, something that was only possible via the CLI in the legacy UI days.
Agreed, although one of my drives shows the temp as "N/A" which is baffling since I have 5 other of the same model in the machine reporting temps fine.

My UI nitpick for the day: When editing mount points for a jail, there's really nothing on the screen that makes it clear the name of the jail you're editing the mount points for. The screen just changes to the title "Mount points". Sure, you could imply it from the "destination" path or the URL in the address bar, but really the UI should broadcast it more clearly. Such as "Mount points for jail ________" instead of just "Mount points".

It caught me off guard the first time I went in, as I was worried I was in some generic "mount points" configuration screen for all jails, and I was like, "wait, how do I edit the mount points for the specific jail?"

legs

Cadet
1545718185731.png

In China,When I install plugin it happened,What can I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.