FreeNAS 11.2-Beta2 is Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I read @MatthewSteinhoff 's comments, it dawned on me that it could be a threat to iXsystems if too many potential customers like him use FreeNAS instead of TrueNAS.

As an aside, @MatthewSteinhoff and his company are willing to pay to help support the development of FreeNAS. FreeNAS is an incredibly valuable product, we appreciate the work of iXsystems and think everyone should be able to make an honest living. If there were a software-only offering or a support-only offering we'd sign up. We just don't need a hardware solution.

I've spent my entire career surfing the line between free and paid solutions. I've bought a few RHEL licenses because I've used a lot of CentOS. I've bought pfSense appliances because I've deployed far more pfSense instances on repurposed hardware. I've bought XenServer licenses but used the free version (a lot) instead. I get that a paid product may have more features than the free version and am okay with that. (So long as I don't need one of the paid features. ;)) Both experience and my gut tells me iXsystems loses few sales to FreeNAS and has a much larger group of bug testers, supporters and entryways into corporations thanks to that free offering.

Can I flag my own post as off-topic?

Cheers,
Matt

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
has anyone else noticed that after upgrading to 11.2 Beta 2 that your CPU usage is up a lot more than usual?

This is from logging in to the legacy UI. Shows way more CPU usage since upgrading to 11.2 Beta 2, I was on 11.1U5 prior to upgrading.
Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 9.22.48 AM.png

Here are several weeks prior as a comparison
Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 9.23.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 9.23.23 AM.png

After upgrading to only changes made were moving couchpotato from a warden jail to an iocage jail and creating a new iocage jail that runs a unifi controller.

As an aside, @MatthewSteinhoff and his company are willing to pay to help support the development of FreeNAS. FreeNAS is an incredibly valuable product, we appreciate the work of iXsystems and think everyone should be able to make an honest living. If there were a software-only offering or a support-only offering we'd sign up. We just don't need a hardware solution.

I've spent my entire career surfing the line between free and paid solutions. I've bought a few RHEL licenses because I've used a lot of CentOS. I've bought pfSense appliances because I've deployed far more pfSense instances on repurposed hardware. I've bought XenServer licenses but used the free version (a lot) instead. I get that a paid product may have more features than the free version and am okay with that. (So long as I don't need one of the paid features. ;)) Both experience and my gut tells me iXsystems loses few sales to FreeNAS and has a much larger group of bug testers, supporters and entryways into corporations thanks to that free offering.

Can I flag my own post as off-topic?

Cheers,
Matt
100% agree with this and my company would do exactly the same if there was only an option to do so. I have spoken to iX about this and told them they are really missing a trick in my view.

Zwck

Patron
has anyone else noticed that after upgrading to 11.2 Beta 2 that your CPU usage is up a lot more than usual?

This is from logging in to the legacy UI. Shows way more CPU usage since upgrading to 11.2 Beta 2, I was on 11.1U5 prior to upgrading.
View attachment 25576

Here are several weeks prior as a comparison
View attachment 25577
View attachment 25578

After upgrading to only changes made were moving couchpotato from a warden jail to an iocage jail and creating a new iocage jail that runs a unifi controller.

beta3 should roll out today/tomorrow we'll see what will change

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Okay, as BETA3 is out, I'll lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.