FreeNAS 8.3.0-BETA2 is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but my downloads for FreeNAS-8.3.0-BETA2-x64.GUI_Upgrade.txz keep having random sha256sums that don't match the one in the txt file.I've tried redownloading a few times and keep getting files with different sha256sums... could be something on my end though

budmannxx

Contributor
Sorry, but I just downloaded the x64 .txz twice and both times the SHA256 matched the text file.

I've tried redownloading a few times and keep getting files with different sha256sums... could be something on my end though

I'm pretty sure that if you're downloading the same file multiple times and getting different checksums, something is in fact wrong on your end.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sorry, but I just downloaded the x64 .txz twice and both times the SHA256 matched the text file.

I'm pretty sure that if you're downloading the same file multiple times and getting different checksums, something is in fact wrong on your end.

Yeah, must be something with my desktop, did it on my laptop and it matched. Now I'm getting
Code:
freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: The firmware is does not meet the pre-install criteria: Command '['bin/install_worker.sh', 'pre-install']' returned non-zero exit status 1]

when I try the gui upgrade, also getting errors installing any pbi's
I'm gonna try backing up the config, dding the image onto another usbstick, and restoring the config. Have a feeling somthings wrong with the random daily build I'm on. df -h shows '/etc' as 106% full, which meant I couldn't add users in the gui! My fault for switching to it, but I wanted to get the native driver for my rr2720.

Gnome

Explorer
Just heads up, I upgraded to ZFS v28. Performance is definitely worse.

Poor infact. Went from 105megabytes/s -> 80megabytes/s writes over SMB with a 40GB random pattern file. The only difference being I did the upgrade.

Read performance dropped only slightly, 108megabytes/s -> 100megabytes/s.

Doing a scrub now to see if it will make any kind of difference but not very hopeful :(

budmannxx

Contributor
Now I'm getting
Code:
freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: The firmware is does not meet the pre-install criteria: Command '['bin/install_worker.sh', 'pre-install']' returned non-zero exit status 1]

That's way beyond my ability to help with--you'll need some advice from one of the real experts here.

when I try the gui upgrade, also getting errors installing any pbi's
I'm gonna try backing up the config, dding the image onto another usbstick, and restoring the config. Have a feeling somthings wrong with the random daily build I'm on. df -h shows '/etc' as 106% full, which meant I couldn't add users in the gui! My fault for switching to it, but I wanted to get the native driver for my rr2720.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with the plugins or jail on my new 8.2 install, but as far as upgrading goes, I've had much better success with backing up my freenas.db, doing a fresh install to a new USB stick, reloading my config, and reimporting my volumes. I seem to remember GUI upgrades working pretty well through about 8.0.3, but then things started getting a little hariy for me for 8.0.4 through 8.2. The fresh install/config reload method has gone much more smoothly for me (purely my anectdotal experience, of course--I'm sure GUI upgrades have been working well for plenty of others). One other benefit of this method is that if you have problems with the newer version, you still have your old USB key that you can pop back in.

Just heads up, I upgraded to ZFS v28. Performance is definitely worse.
Doing a scrub now to see if it will make any kind of difference but not very hopeful :(

That's bad news. From reading some of the developer musings posts I've come to the conclusion that ZFS has been upgraded to v28 in FreeNAS 8.3 mostly just to stay in line with FreeBSD. It seems like the main "benefits" of v28 over v15 are dedupe, RAIDZ-3, and compression. RAIDZ-3 is a definite win, but dedupe seems worthless (and very likely detrimental) for any kind of home or even low-spec commercial use. For your specific problem, you didn't list your specs, but I'm sure the usual "throw more RAM at it" would be the first recommendation. There's also the AIO issue if you were upgrading from 8.0.3 or prior:

- Builds prior to 8.0.3-RELEASE with 'CIFS' didn't actually have AIO (asynchronous I/O) enabled. So, if you experience performance degradation after upgrading from prior versions of FreeNAS to 8.0.3-RELEASE or newer, turn off AIO or tune the AIO size from '1' to something more reasonable (the new default in 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1 is 4096 or 4kB).

Gnome

Explorer
For your specific problem, you didn't list your specs, but I'm sure the usual "throw more RAM at it" would be the first recommendation.
My specs are:
Intel 2500T CPU
Intel DH67BL (latest firmware)
4 x Kingston 1333Mhz DDR3 ValueRAM (16GB Total)
LSI SAS 9211-8i (firmware version 14)
6 x Seagate Barracude LP 2TB
3 x Western Digital Green Power 2TB (WD20EARS - disable head parking with wdidle tool)

Not a low spec'd machine by any measure. I did explicitly make sure dedup is disabled. Benchmarks were done pre and post upgrade (upgraded from 8.2 btw and AIO is already configured). Only change is upgraded to BETA2 and ran:
Code:
zpool upgrade -a
zfs upgrade -a

Thing that bothers me is I receive this from zpool status:
scrub in progress since Fri Sep 7
2.82T scanned out of 10.4T at 400M/s, 5h33m to go
0 repaired, 26.99% done

This is similar to what I received before upgrading. I'm wondering if this is related to drivers or settings specific related to network or SMB.

mib

Dabbler
It seems like the main "benefits" of v28 over v15 are dedupe, RAIDZ-3, and compression.

A really important benefit of v28 is the detachable ZIL.

Before v28, if the ZIL broke -- and there are quite a few SSD failure modes -- you lost the whole pool.

Single points of failure are bad.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm running this on a VM for testing and I don't like the Alert flashing at me telling me I can upgrade to ZFS V28. I don't think that should be associated with the alert indication, or at least have a disable for the version check. I know I will not upgrade to V28 simply because it is slower and I have no need for the extra features with that version.

The MiniDLNA plugin does not show it's running on the Plugins screen when in fact it is running. The only time I could get it to state it was running was directly after the PBI was installed. After a reboot it will not show it's running. Here is the meesage on the screen if it helps:
Code:
Sep  7 20:44:21 preenas manage.py: [plugins.utils:71] Couldn't retrieve http://192.168.1.42/plugins/minidlna/_s/status: No JSON object could be decoded: line 1 column 0 (char 0)

and
Code:

Sep  7 21:03:47 preenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:412] Empty data returned from http://192.168.1.42/plugins/minidlna/_s/treemenu

valesan

Patron
I'm running this on a VM for testing and I don't like the Alert flashing at me telling me I can upgrade to ZFS V28. I don't think that should be associated with the alert indication, or at least have a disable for the version check. I know I will not upgrade to V28 simply because it is slower and I have no need for the extra features with that version.

The MiniDLNA plugin does not show it's running on the Plugins screen when in fact it is running. The only time I could get it to state it was running was directly after the PBI was installed. After a reboot it will not show it's running. Here is the meesage on the screen if it helps:
Code:
Sep  7 20:44:21 preenas manage.py: [plugins.utils:71] Couldn't retrieve http://192.168.1.42/plugins/minidlna/_s/status: No JSON object could be decoded: line 1 column 0 (char 0)

and
Code:

Sep  7 21:03:47 preenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:412] Empty data returned from http://192.168.1.42/plugins/minidlna/_s/treemenu

I have the same problem illustrated by joe with the 8.3 beta 2 and minidlna _24 64bit system!

paleoN

Wizard
This is similar to what I received before upgrading. I'm wondering if this is related to drivers or settings specific related to network or SMB.
Newer drivers and a newer version of Samba. Not to mention all the ZFS changes. I would also disable all ZFS related tuneables as they will likely need to be redone. As you realized your testing methodology was broken.

I know I will not upgrade to V28 simply because it is slower and I have no need for the extra features with that version.
Actually, I think there is one you want.

Gnome

Explorer
Newer drivers and a newer version of Samba. Not to mention all the ZFS changes. I would also disable all ZFS related tuneables as they will likely need to be redone. As you realized your testing methodology was broken.
I didn't have any tunables set before. After the upgrade I tried auto tune and a few other combinations of settings. Absolutely no difference.

I did some benchmarks and actual disk performance far outstrips gigabit Ethernet. This problem is Ethernet or samba related as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to give NAS4Free a spin at this point to see what happens.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Actually, I think there is one you want.
Nah, from what I think I know there is no benefit from V28 over V15 for a home server. I'm serving up DLNA content and it's a backup server for my computers, nothing more, no critical data would be lost if the system suddenly died although I would be very unhappy that I'd have to build another one up. I'm running four 2TB drives and 8GB RAM. I have no expectations of expanding my hardware. I'm certain I will upgrade to V28 once it's implementation into FreeNAS is shown not have negative impacts to the system.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I didn't have any tunables set before. After the upgrade I tried auto tune and a few other combinations of settings. Absolutely no difference.

I did some benchmarks and actual disk performance far outstrips gigabit Ethernet. This problem is Ethernet or samba related as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to give NAS4Free a spin at this point to see what happens.
What do you mean by "outstrips"? What is your system configuration? Did you use ZFS for your drives, if so which version? I use CIFS and can easily max out my Gb Ethernet connection when writing to the FreeNAS computer and reading from it is about 80 Mb/sec, still very good. It would be fantastic to get a fully saturated Ethernet connection but that is unrealistic given my slow hardware.

paleoN

Wizard
Nah, from what I think I know there is no benefit from V28 over V15 for a home server. I'm serving up DLNA content and it's a backup server for my computers, nothing more, no critical data would be lost if the system suddenly died although I would be very unhappy that I'd have to build another one up.
I was thinking of the change from V27 to V28. Assuming that means what I think it does.

Given your use case, would you notice the 10-15% slower zpool performance. Of course if that translated into 10-15% slower CIFs performance that's a different story.

Milkwerm

Dabbler
Is there any chance we'll see a return of iSCSI pass through to tape drive in 8.3?
It's something I'd really like to see working for my home VM environment. Having the pass through on the VM host kinda kills the idea of migrating the backup server between hosts.

tac12345

Dabbler
reporting doesn't show any graph.

OSError
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/df'
/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/reporting/rrd.py in get_identifiers, line 499

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
reporting doesn't show any graph.

OSError
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/db/collectd/rrd/localhost/df'
/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/reporting/rrd.py in get_identifiers, line 499

I created all the folders it complained about and the reporting started working again for me

Status
Not open for further replies.