moves towards the final.

FreeNAS 8.3.0-BETA3 can be downloaded from the following location:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8.3.0/BETA3/

This BETA includes a refactoring of the Active Directory and LDAP
integration. It has a rework of serial port support, adding the
ability to set the serial port speed. The NFS sharing was refactored in BETA2
with an eye towards maintaining compatability with sharing schemes set up
in previous FreeNAS releases. The refactored sharing is more powerful and
flexible than previous releases, while enforcing the OS based rules.
Support for the LSI "skinny" RAID controllers was added, including the
9265/9285.

Upgrading an existing ZFS pool is a one way street, once the upgrade is
done it is not possible to use older versions of FreeNAS, nor is it possible
to downgrade your pool. This upgrade can be done by running zpool upgrade
from the CLI, it is not done automatically via the upgrader, nor is there a
way to do the upgrade from the GUI.

nogi

Explorer
I need to fix a corrup 8.2 install on a USB stick. Should I do that then upgrade? Or will it work by doing a export settings under 8.2, wipe and clean install 8.3 followed by import settings, import volumes and upgrade ZFS.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Fresh install and import should be fine, and as long as you don't upgrade the pool and do keep the old config, you can always roll back to 8.2 with another fresh install.

pakpenyo

Dabbler
Thats my problem in several hours ago.

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?9049-8-3Beta2-to-8-3Beta3-The-Firmware-is-invalid

I'm waiting for the release, redownload the firmware and get same problem.

Code:
Sep 27 10:14:09 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: The firmware is invalid]

This is new firmware from Sourceforge

Code:
pakpenyo:Downloads pakpenyo$ shasum -a 256 FreeNAS-8.3.0-BETA3-x64.GUI_Upgrade.txz 
41c3c95f1e647bf556fe23b640b828799135d39db1f947a21fef27f6dc26a175  FreeNAS-8.3.0-BETA3-x64.GUI_Upgrade.txz

So, whats the problem? Should I clean install?

Thanks.

Sir.Robin

Guru
FreeNAS is friggin awesome!! Running two systems now with replication. Keep up the good work!! :D:p:cool:

uutzinger

Dabbler
I am worried how this is going to work with LSI SATA host bus adapters.
The readme states that 8.3 will have hard firmware requirement.
It appears to me the only way to upgrade to 8.3 for system with LSI SATA adapter is to create backup of config, turn off system, flash LSI firmware, and install from ISO onto new USB flash drive and load backup of config. If it does not work one can flash firmware back to previous firmware and use old USB flash drive. The problem is if one boots FreeNAS with LSI adapter that has non-matching firmware (e.g. latest LSI firmware with FreeNAS 8.2) it will break the FreeNAS installation (GUI will not load).

paleoN

Wizard
I'm really interested how is the performance affected when you move to ZFS v28. I have 5TB of data on a 6 disks RaidZ2 setup, transfers are done at 80MB/sec from NAS to PC with CIFS.

I recently tested this and found that a new v28 pool performs about the same, within 5%, as a new v15 pool on FreeNAS-8.3.0-BETA2-x64.

My network transfers were unaffected. My CIFs speeds still disappoint, 77Mb/sec write, 65Mb/sec read, and my FTP transfers are still near line speed Up/Down. Client-side I saw no loss in performance as the network is the limiting factor, not to mention Samba on FreeBSD.

Gnome

Explorer
I am worried how this is going to work with LSI SATA host bus adapters.
The readme states that 8.3 will have hard firmware requirement.
It appears to me the only way to upgrade to 8.3 for system with LSI SATA adapter is to create backup of config, turn off system, flash LSI firmware, and install from ISO onto new USB flash drive and load backup of config. If it does not work one can flash firmware back to previous firmware and use old USB flash drive. The problem is if one boots FreeNAS with LSI adapter that has non-matching firmware (e.g. latest LSI firmware with FreeNAS 8.2) it will break the FreeNAS installation (GUI will not load).

I upgraded to firmware 14 on 8.2 and ran it that way for more than a month.

Then upgraded to 8.3 BETA 3, still running firmware 14.

Haven't noticed any issues thus far.

uutzinger

Dabbler
I have LSI SAS 9201 16 port internal and LSI SAS 9211 8 port internal adapter.
9201 uses IT firmware.
9211 was shipped with IR firmware. IR has RAID functionality which is not needed for ZFS.
I believe I configured FreeNAS 8.2 while I had IT firmware 11 on 9201 and IR firmware on 9211.
I flashed to IT firmware 13 on both controllers using DOS bootable USB flash drive.
FreeNAS booted correctly and I had access to storage but SMART functionality was broken.
Because SMART was broken Web GUI did not load and there was no remote management available.
I attempted flashed back to firmware 11 but Web GUI did not come back.
The only way to recover was to reinstall and load backup config file.
Perhaps the problem is due to mix of IR and IT firmware or it only occurs with one type of the LSI controllers.

joeschmuck

Old Man
When the final 8.3 will be released? According to http://http://support.freenas.org/roadmap there is no tickets left to be fixed
Let's let people test out this Beta first, that is why it's out here, to test to see if any more problems are encountered. With any luck it will be released within ~30 days provided there are no show stoppers.

ProtoSD

MVP
Let's let people test out this Beta first, that is why it's out here, to test to see if any more problems are encountered. With any luck it will be released within ~30 days provided there are no show stoppers.

I'd say longer than 30 days, but after the jump from RC1 to release with 8.2, we could end up with version 8.4 tomorrow! :rolleyes:

yaneurabeya

Dabbler
I'm really interested how is the performance affected when you move to ZFS v28. I have 5TB of data on a 6 disks RaidZ2 setup, transfers are done at 80MB/sec from NAS to PC with CIFS.

I'm getting 105MBps peak talking to Windows 7 with lame network gear (Apple Extreme wireless routers used as switches and Netgear gigabit switches) and NICs with ZFSv28. It just all depends on what you have for your system, what workloads you're pushing, etc.

yaneurabeya

Dabbler

We'll see :). There's been a lot of churn in the past couple week, and with lots of churn comes need for lots of testing to avoid functional regressions.

Gnome

Explorer
I have LSI SAS 9201 16 port internal and LSI SAS 9211 8 port internal adapter.
9201 uses IT firmware.
9211 was shipped with IR firmware. IR has RAID functionality which is not needed for ZFS.
I believe I configured FreeNAS 8.2 while I had IT firmware 11 on 9201 and IR firmware on 9211.
I flashed to IT firmware 13 on both controllers using DOS bootable USB flash drive.
FreeNAS booted correctly and I had access to storage but SMART functionality was broken.
Because SMART was broken Web GUI did not load and there was no remote management available.
I attempted flashed back to firmware 11 but Web GUI did not come back.
The only way to recover was to reinstall and load backup config file.
Perhaps the problem is due to mix of IR and IT firmware or it only occurs with one type of the LSI controllers.

Can't comment, I have a single 9211 running in IT mode.

Why not go IT on both controllers?

mattymuc

Dabbler
I have one problem with FreeNAS-8.3.0-BETA3-x64.
I can't delete more than one snapshots from the GUI. If I select snapshots in the GUI and then press the delete button a small window with no content opens. I can't confirm to delete the snapshots...
Can someone reproduce this?

Status
Not open for further replies.