12.0-BETA2 now available

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
iXsystems is pleased to announce the general availability of TrueNAS 12.0-BETA2! This is the second beta version of the unified FreeNAS and TrueNAS release, renamed to TrueNAS CORE and TrueNAS Enterprise, respectively. More than 175 bugs have been fixed in this release, representing a significant step toward the full TrueNAS 12.0-Release.

TrueNAS 12.0
The TrueNAS 12.0 release is a major new update to the TrueNAS family of storage products. TrueNAS CORE is the successor to FreeNAS, which is still fully open-source and offering the same functionality and more features than ever before. Included in version 12 are major changes to ZFS filesystem, bringing all the features of ZFS on Linux (ZoL) into the upcoming OpenZFS 2.0 release. Additionally, version 12 includes these major changes:

• ZFS Native Crypto - Per dataset encryption and support for encrypted replication to untrusted targets.
  • 2 Factor Authentication - Allows using Applications such as “Google Authenticator” to provide an extra level of security before logging into the UI or SSH access.
  • KMIP Support - TrueNAS Enterprise now adds the ability to interface with KMIP servers for the storage and retrieval of passwords and encryption keys.
  • Performance Improvements - Virtually every area of the platform has been updated and includes some major performance improvements, including SMB, iSCSI, ZFS and more.
  • API Keys - All of TrueNAS can be configured with TrueNAS API v2.0, and now supports keys for remote access. TrueNAS API v1.0 is no longer supported.
  • Fusion Pools - Allows creating pools with all-flash vdevs that store metadata and small-block IO. This provides flash-like performance on all metadata operations, but with the cost effectiveness of spinning disk for storage blocks.
  • VPN Support - Support for TrueNAS acting as both an OpenVPN Server and Client, depending on your VPN needs.
These major changes are also paired with numerous other bug fixes and quality-of-life type improvements to the UI and APIs for users. We’ve also revamped our Documentation, focusing more content on how to accomplish specific tasks, reducing the learning curve and time normally spent on deploying TrueNAS in a variety of storage environments.

Release Notes:

Download:

c77dk

Patron
Upgraded without any problems, and looks like "my" bugs from -NIGHTLY/-BETA1 have been fixed :D Now it's time to do some real testing of this new -BETA

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Upgraded without any problems, and looks like "my" bugs from -NIGHTLY/-BETA1 have been fixed :D Now it's time to do some real testing of this new -BETA

Great! Keep us posted if you run into any issues.

hervon

Patron
Updated from FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1. No issue for far. All home brewed jails (urbackup, plex, qbittorrent, minidlna) work great. Cloud Sync Tasks is ok too. Thanks! Farewell FreeNAS. Long life to TrueNAS!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Re-entering passwords when switching from non-smb user to SMB user is required because of the need to generate an NT hash for the user's password.

TimoJ

Dabbler
Beta2 is not detecting my Chelsio T520 CR card. Worked fine in beta1. Reverted back to beta1 and the card works again.

alex992

Explorer
You'll probably have to go into the GUI, check the "samba authentication" checkbox for the root user and re-enter your password. This is not allowed by default because of security issues involved.
Working now. Thank you

c77dk

Patron
Beta2 is not detecting my Chelsio T520 CR card. Worked fine in beta1. Reverted back to beta1 and the card works again.

Strange - got the same type of card and no problems.

TimoJ

Dabbler
Strange - got the same type of card and no problems.
I reinstalled beta 2 and now it detects the Chelsio card. Not sure what the problem was. There was something strange how the update earlier went. It seemed to install too quickly, maybe it skipped some part? This time it was normal.

ThreeDee

Guru
Update seemingly went without a hitch .. did the update and ran off to work before it finished .. logged into Plex remotely and it came up faster than normal so that's still working at least :cool:

I'll log in when I get home and see if any alerts popped up and all my shares are still accessible

Stilez

Guru
iXsystems is pleased to announce the general availability of TrueNAS 12.0-BETA2! This is the second beta version of the unified FreeNAS and TrueNAS release, renamed to TrueNAS CORE and TrueNAS Enterprise, respectively. More than 175 bugs have been fixed in this release, representing a significant step toward the full TrueNAS 12.0-Release.

*snip*
The release notes state against "ZFS dedup": "There is some ongoing testing to see how much faster it will be, but we expect significant progress".

MY EXPERIENCE ON THIS:

I've migrated a 40 TB deduped pool from 11.3 with ample RAM and HW, to 12-BETA with special vdevs, and its different like day and night. I get consistent, sustained, 300-400 MB/sec local and remote file I/O, whereas under 11.3 it simply crashed out midway unable to manage the 4k DDT I/O at all. Superb.

I've posted some graphs and stats outputs there, but... its a huge change. Unworkable to "able to saturate 4gbit ethernet". DDT latency changed from tens of seconds to virtually zero? It would be fair to describe the speed increase as O(100x) best I can tell.

My special vdevs are pulling 1/4 million 4k random IOPS to do it. gstat shows the 5 second cycle of TXG flow, and what the special vdevs are doing in the different phases of the cycles. It's that clear. Compare that to whats possible without special vdevs on HDD (1000-2000 IOPS from the pool of pure HDDs) and calling it a 100x improvement in speed isn't far off... because nothing happens till the DDT is read/written.

IMG_20200813_181408_648.jpg

For my part the release info on BETA2 badly understates the improvement in dedup performance. It's that big. Even with good hardware on 11.3 and anecdotal reports only, I would say that the improvement isn't "significant". It's huge.

Sorry for the bubbly post, but it really is like that here, and I've been waiting for this specifically (dedup solid at 3~10G speeds without all-SSD pools) a long time in *NAS. You'd be a bit that way too in my shoes, moving to 12.

Thank you.

Some links where graphs and special vdev data are posted/discussed so far:

Last edited:

velocity08

Dabbler
Hi Team

not sure what the issue is not seeing an update available in the Beta1 GUI.

system > updates > nothing available (see screen shot)

is this something we should be doing by creating a full ISO again from the Beta2 download and updating?

""Cheers
G
Screenshot from 2020-08-17 14-47-49.png

ThreeDee

Guru
Hi Team

is this something we should be doing by creating a full ISO again from the Beta2 download and updating?

""Cheers
G
View attachment 40855
are you able to change your Train to TrueNAS-12 Beta?

Stilez

Guru
Hi Team

I dont know if this is the issue, but if everything else is OK its *possible*

One of the bugs in BETA-1 (fixed BETA-2) had the effect that the front and back end of middleware dropped connections a lot. That meant that the web UI issued commands to the server backend that didn't always complete properly. Also responses from the backend that should have updated the web UI didnt. One side effect is that checking for updates and executing them, was affected - because that involves the front and back ends communicating too.

For me, the webUI didnt reliably communicate properly the request, or didnt get back the response that an update was available. Failed many times.

Check in /var/log/messages and /var/log/middleware.log, for things that look like stuff is disconnecting or failing to connect fully.

If thats it the 2 choices are keep trying (worked eventually for me!), or else back up your config and clean install, then import your config again.

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
My special vdevs are pulling 1/4 million 4k random IOPS to do it. gstat shows the 5 second cycle of TXG flow, and what the special vdevs are doing in the different phases of the cycles. It's that clear. Compare that to whats possible without special vdevs on HDD (1000-2000 IOPS from the pool of pure HDDs) and calling it a 100x improvement in speed isn't far off... because nothing happens till the DDT is read/written.

For my part the release info on BETA2 badly understates the improvement in dedup performance. It's that big. Even with good hardware on 11.3 and anecdotal reports only, I would say that the improvement isn't "significant". It's huge.

Great to hear its working so well!

1/4 million IOPS is a lot. - Are you using Optane SSDs as special VDEVs?

What is the workload you are testing your pool with... protocol, r/w mix, iosize?