FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3 Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0hnby

Explorer
Update went fine here. Fixed some annoying niggles for me, and I even managed to sort out my non-booting Debian VM (but that was due to me not forcing the grub install and just going gung ho on it when I installed). Thanks!

emk2203

Guru
EDIT: Wait there's movement.

Ok after a 90 minute update, power off / on and then waiting another solid 10 to 15 minutes, it's back and seems ok.
Worrying, very very long update.

I'll report in if stuff breaks but that's the longest by far now. My machine is awfully weak but normally a solid 30 minutes and it's done.
As feedback to the N54L issues: I updated a N40L (even slower) and a N54L, with 8 GB and 16 GB, respectively.

Both took less than 20 minutes from start of download to finished reboot, without any issues. The N40L took 19 minutes, and the N54L took 15 minutes. That's also record time, because in the past, they used to take longer for an update. Occasionally, a really long time like you described.

Overall, the beta3 looks promising for the start.

rogerh

Guru
As another data point, my N54L took a total of 47 minutes, 12 minutes of which were rebooting, to update from BETA2 to BETA3. But no problems detected.

emk2203

Guru
As another data point, my N54L took a total of 47 minutes, 12 minutes of which were rebooting, to update from BETA2 to BETA3. But no problems detected.
I would love to know where these differences come from, not only between machines, but also from update to update on the same machine. I have also seen 90 - 120 minutes in the past, with no apparent reason.

diskdiddler

Wizard
As feedback to the N54L issues: I updated a N40L (even slower) and a N54L, with 8 GB and 16 GB, respectively.

Both took less than 20 minutes from start of download to finished reboot, without any issues. The N40L took 19 minutes, and the N54L took 15 minutes. That's also record time, because in the past, they used to take longer for an update. Occasionally, a really long time like you described.

Overall, the beta3 looks promising for the start.

I've noticed it is slowly taking longer and longer - however system reliability (besides a known file deletion bug) has remained exceptional.

To be fair, my system is very old from a build perspective, it started at somewhere very early 9 or late 8 and has been upgraded since. I have many snapshots, over 10 jails, 30TB of disks.

Generally it seems to reboot at least 2 if not 3 or 4 times per update (not sure) and just works.

None the less, she's back up.
SMB is different (broken? changed?) - my network drives would NOT reconnect when the server came back up, I had to disconnect and reconnect. Was SMB version updated maybe?

Otherwise it seems fine, although unlike previous builds, initial 15 minutes use, very slow (normally first 5 minutes are slow to put everything in ram)

emk2203

Guru
I've noticed it is slowly taking longer and longer - however system reliability (besides a known file deletion bug) has remained exceptional.

To be fair, my system is very old from a build perspective, it started at somewhere very early 9 or late 8 and has been upgraded since. I have many snapshots, over 10 jails, 30TB of disks.

Generally it seems to reboot at least 2 if not 3 or 4 times per update (not sure) and just works.

None the less, she's back up.
SMB is different (broken? changed?) - my network drives would NOT reconnect when the server came back up, I had to disconnect and reconnect. Was SMB version updated maybe?

Otherwise it seems fine, although unlike previous builds, initial 15 minutes use, very slow (normally first 5 minutes are slow to put everything in ram)

I found similar things worrisome, exported my configs and started clean every once in a while. Otherwise, similar to you, started with late 8? The reboots I have noticed only one for an update. SMB is also still like before (but on my main system) for the update, a mounted share is still mounted and accessible.

Overall, I am more happy than with the beta 2.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
differences come from, not only between machines, but also from update to update on the same machine.
Less free space on the boot device.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Two times is normal. The first boot is into the migration environment, the second one starts FreeNAS with the migrated settings.

Volte

Dabbler
Is anybody else experiencing a "No boot volume found"? I updated from BETA-2 to BETA-3, and I'm now unable to boot :(

I'll be creating a FreeBSD VM to mount my flash drive and get my GELI keys off of it and then do a clean install, if I have to, unless somebody else knows a work-around?

Maybe create an installer drive and try repairing the original?

Looking forward to 11.2-RELEASE :D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You don't have your keys properly backed-up? Dangerous territory you're treading there...

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
upgrade did take a little while with a couple restarts but i'm up and running and I'm glad I'm not getting annoying netdata emails. Every thing seems to be working except for reported items that were not fixed in this Beta version. I did have to restart Plex because it wouldn't "optimize" a movie file and then worked after restarting but that doesn't necessarily have any thing to do with the update.

tfili

Dabbler
Known Issues
Due to a regression, it is currently not possible to mirror the boot device. This will be fixed for RC1.

Hmm, means this installations with 11.2-BETA2 cannot update to 11.2-BETA3 if there is a mirrored boot device ?

I tried on two different installations with mirrored boot devices, both failed to boot after update to 11.2-BETA3

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ohhhhhhhhh!

Well I do have mirrord boot devices, and mine worked, but as you can see earlier on this page, it was not without issue.
I can confirm I have B3, working on mirror config though and according to the menus, it's working fine?

emk2203

Guru
Less free space on the boot device.
Does that really matter on a 32GB boot device? I have maximum 2 or 3 boot environments on it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does that really matter on a 32GB boot device? I have maximum 2 or 3 boot environments on it.
Assuming you're hovering around 4-5 GB full, it probably would not make a perceptible difference. I guess it could be an ultra-crap device with horribly simplistic wear leveling or something along those lines, though.

As for more mundane reasons, it could be as simple as the update being larger.

emk2203

Guru
Assuming you're hovering around 4-5 GB full, it probably would not make a perceptible difference. I guess it could be an ultra-crap device with horribly simplistic wear leveling or something along those lines, though.
You might be on to something. My ultrafast last update happened after I exchanged the plain USB sticks I had before with small SSDs on a m.2-USB3 adapter. I even added 15x15x0.8mm copper cooling plates to make sure they don't overheat in use.

Seems that this hardware upgrade was worth it.

PS: I made major efforts to get the best USB sticks possible, after a couple died on me in my systems. Following all recommendations from the forums. Unfortunately, the best USB sticks are still worse than a crappy SSD. This adapter is the best of both worlds. Even has a more or less decent SATA controller chip, the ASM1153E.

Last edited:

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
Hmm, means this installations with 11.2-BETA2 cannot update to 11.2-BETA3 if there is a mirrored boot device ?

I tried on two different installations with mirrored boot devices, both failed to boot after update to 11.2-BETA3
My system is also currently running on beta3 with mirrored boot devices.

on a separate note I did just literally get this "Alert" in my email: * Unable to run alert source 'ZpoolCapacity'
Code:
New alerts:
* Unable to run alert source 'ZpoolCapacity'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 64, in execute
	return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 412, in execute
	execute = self.locked_retry(Database.Cursor.execute, query, params)
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 403, in locked_retry
	raise e
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 389, in locked_retry
	rv = method(self, *args, **kwargs)
sqlite3.OperationalError: database is locked

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/alert.py", line 355, in __run_source
	alerts = (await alert_source.check()) or []
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/alert/base.py", line 96, in check
	return await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.check_sync)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 933, in run_in_thread
	return await self.loop.run_in_executor(executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
	result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/../alert/source/zpool_capacity.py", line 18, in check_sync
	for pool in self.middleware.call_sync("pool.query")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1063, in call_sync
	return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 425, in result
	return self.__get_result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 384, in __get_result
	raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 973, in _call
	return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
	return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 266, in query
	'datastore.query', self._config.datastore, [], datastore_options
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1037, in call
	return await self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, pipes=pipes, io_thread=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 987, in _call
	return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 933, in run_in_thread
	return await self.loop.run_in_executor(executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 668, in nf
	return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/datastore.py", line 171, in query
	qs, extend=options.get('extend'), field_prefix=options.get('prefix')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/datastore.py", line 88, in __queryset_serialize
	for i in qs:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 256, in __iter__
	self._fetch_all()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 1087, in _fetch_all
	self._result_cache = list(self.iterator())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 54, in __iter__
	results = compiler.execute_sql()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py", line 835, in execute_sql
	cursor.execute(sql, params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/backends/utils.py", line 64, in execute
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 94, in __exit__
	six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/utils/six.py", line 685, in reraise
	raise value.with_traceback(tb)
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 412, in execute
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 403, in locked_retry
	raise e
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py", line 389, in locked_retry
django.db.utils.OperationalError: database is locked

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
My system is also currently running on beta3 with mirrored boot devices.

on a separate note I did just literally get this "Alert" in my email: * Unable to run alert source 'ZpoolCapacity'
Code:
New alerts:
* Unable to run alert source 'ZpoolCapacity'
	raise e
sqlite3.OperationalError: database is locked

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/alert.py", line 355, in __run_source
	alerts = (await alert_source.check()) or []
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/alert/base.py", line 96, in check
	return await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.check_sync)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/../alert/source/zpool_capacity.py", line 18, in check_sync
	for pool in self.middleware.call_sync("pool.query")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1063, in call_sync
	return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 425, in result
	return self.__get_result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 384, in __get_result
	raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 973, in _call
	return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
	return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 266, in query
	'datastore.query', self._config.datastore, [], datastore_options
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1037, in call
	return await self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, pipes=pipes, io_thread=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 987, in _call
	return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 668, in nf
	return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/datastore.py", line 171, in query
	qs, extend=options.get('extend'), field_prefix=options.get('prefix')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/datastore.py", line 88, in __queryset_serialize
	for i in qs:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 256, in __iter__
	self._fetch_all()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 1087, in _fetch_all
	self._result_cache = list(self.iterator())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 54, in __iter__
	results = compiler.execute_sql()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py", line 835, in execute_sql
	cursor.execute(sql, params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 94, in __exit__
	six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/utils/six.py", line 685, in reraise
	raise value.with_traceback(tb)
	raise e

Looks a locking problem on the sqlite database (config file).
Code:
. Is it constantly throwing that error or was it a one-off occurrence?

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
Looks a locking problem on the sqlite database (config file).
Code:
. Is it constantly throwing that error or was it a one-off occurrence?
I have so far only experienced it once since the update

vinistois

Dabbler
The network adapters have disappeared from my virtual machines (Ubuntu 16.04) despite the devices being present in the FreeNAS GUI. I have tried removing and replacing them, rebooting the VMs and swapping between VirtIO and E1000. I will create a bug report.

Any luck grtting this fixed? I have the same issue, networking is all messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.