FreeNAS 11.2-RELEASE has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mannekino

Patron
How are such bugs normally dealt with? This seems like a pretty big issue since I'm guessing a lot of people are using VNET for their jail networking. Will this be addressed in a patch or do we have to wait until U3 gets released? I find it rather strange this managed to slip through testing.

Ixian

Patron
The bug report is already filed, it's https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/75648

It's iocage related (which was obvious anyway since it only affected iocage jails; users with legacy Warden jails report no issue) and as suggested in the ticket is likely related to this iocage bug .

iocage --version for U2 (and U1) reports Version 1.0 ALPHA 1. I don't want to jump to conclusions but suspect that is part of the problem, though the fact that it doesn't cause a problem with U1 as well leads me to believe something in U2 triggered it. Possibly this fix?

The only workaround at the moment is, of course, to disable VNET for each jails and assign static ips. This is not desirable and will cause problems with some jails so hopefully gets addressed before U3 :)

Mannekino

Patron
@Ixian thank you, hopefully it will be fixed. Do you have an answer to my previous question about the FreeNAS configuration? Before upgrading you have the ability to save the configuration of FreeNAS to a file. Do you need to upload this configuration again after reverting back to the U1 boot environment?

Yorick

Wizard
No need to restore your configuration, it's part of the boot environment. You'll be right back where you were before the upgrade to U2.

Ixian

Patron
@Ixian thank you, hopefully it will be fixed. Do you have an answer to my previous question about the FreeNAS configuration? Before upgrading you have the ability to save the configuration of FreeNAS to a file. Do you need to upload this configuration again after reverting back to the U1 boot environment?

Normally no, though of course it is always a good idea to back it up every time just in case.

Yorick

Wizard
And we have a solution thanks to David Meier. Stop all jails, edit one jail's properties, go to Network Properties, set vnet_default_interface to auto, from none. Save - you may need to uncheck and recheck DHCP Autoconfigure in Basic before Save becomes available. Start your jail(s).

In his testing, making this change on one jail solved it for all.

Ixian

Patron
Confirmed that setting vnet_default_interface to auto (jail properties>advanced networking) fixes it. So this was related to this update in U2 after all. Which is a little strange because reading the update it's supposed to detect and correct it automatically.

Instead of auto you could also just assign it to your actual NIC as well. The problem is when it is set to none (which is the default, or was). That still appears to happen, however something in the background (middleware) catches it IF you've set it for at least one jail first. Confusing, and doubtless will be corrected later, but at least folks can get it working now.

Now I need to open a bug for rrdtool which appears to have broken in U2 and is core dumping :)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There is also an issues with smb+unix permission on the 11.2-U2 updates. Some pretty big problems with this release, i'll be waiting to update.

diedrichg

Wizard
There is also an issues with smb+unix permission on the 11.2-U2 updates. Some pretty big problems with this release, i'll be waiting to update.
Grrr! I was hoping to upgrade from the 11.1 train. :(

helios_x

Dabbler
Congratulations to Team Freenas. Great GUI, easy update (11.6-U6 -->11.2-U2) without any problems so far, thank you!

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
To be clear, are you back up and running on U1, or U2? Wondering if slower boot devices is the culprit since the error appears to be related to the bridge service not starting in time for the jails.
rolled back to U1 on a new boot device but still connected via USB

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
To be clear, are you back up and running on U1, or U2? Wondering if slower boot devices is the culprit since the error appears to be related to the bridge service not starting in time for the jails.
Jail have nothing to do with your boot device. Also once your system is up and running you boot device basically isn't used.

Yorick

Wizard
Also once your system is up and running you boot device basically isn't used.

My overheated and failed USB 3 stick begs to differ. From what I can see on these here forums, that behavior changed at some point to where now FreeNAS is harder on boot devices than it used to be.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
My overheated and failed USB 3 stick begs to differ. From what I can see on these here forums, that behavior changed at some point to where now FreeNAS is harder on boot devices than it used to be.
You got proof? I have seen zero change is access to my USB device. It does a read at ~3am every day but that should not affect longevity.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Because this thread is going seriously off the rails, let's sum things up and close it up:
  • 11.2 is out
  • 11.2-U2 has a nasty bug which will be fixed in -U3 and can be worked around as per these instructions: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/75648
  • It is not caused by the boot device
  • Boot devices are read from as needed - that means that a running system with nobody messing with the GUI should not be doing many reads, thanks to the ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.