FreeNAS 11.2-RELEASE has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
Awesome work! Looks great so far...Able to pull up on Chrome or Safari.

Apollo

Wizard
View attachment 27304
In China,When I install plugin it happened,What can I fix it?
Hi Legs,
Without context it is difficult getting sense of the issue.
Can you provide some leads to what is your setup and what you are truing to accomplish.
Merry Christmas by the way, assuming you do not know what is Christmas afterall.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
This is a bit confusing. I got this email:

A new update is available for the FreeNAS-11.2-STABLE train.
Version: FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1
Changelog:
None

However, when I look this up in the roadmap 11.2-RELEASE-U1 has only two issues, one of which is still open. Furthermore, there is 11.2-U1 which is still far from completed.

It looks like something went wrong and/or the the numbering scheme appears to be a bit confusing. I take it that I better just wait until 11.2-U1 is completed?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think it might be a hotfix for a security issue that maybe has been mislabeled. 11.1 got 11.1-U6.3, which is more in line with that, but I'm not sure about that one either.

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Last edited:

aaronouthier

Explorer
Wait!! I'm confused. 11.2 was just released this month????!!
What have I been using for the past 9 months?? In the UI, under updates, I was on "FreeNAS 11.2 stable" for quite a while. I just ditched the whole thing in October, due to lack of updated plugins. I went to an Ubuntu Server with Docker containers, and have mostly loved it. (I still can't figure out how a hacker got in to that. One day, I discovered a reverse SSH connection to a private server in China. Had to Wipe my system's OS drive. Somehow, my 28-Character-with-Upper-and-Lower-case-Alphanumeric-and-special-character SSH password was brute-forced. Scratching my head there. I've disabled Password Auth now).

hrv

Cadet
I'm having a strange issue. In my update page I can only select versions from the 11.1 train, not the 11.2... Is there some magic button hidden to switch those back to the correct one?

I installed a fresh copy of 11.2 and uploaded the configs.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Wait!! I'm confused. 11.2 was just released this month????!!
What have I been using for the past 9 months??
Presumably, a release candidate version of FreeNAS 11.2?

As far as your Ubuntu issues go, I'd look into passwordless logins once you confirm that you don't have an ongoing breach. Investigate the possibility that one of your other machines is infected with a key logger and hence is sending that data back to China. A password with a mixed set of characters 28-letters-long should result in the type of entropy that no brute-force password-cracker can take on right now, assuming the underlying encryption mechanism is solid, salted, and so on.

Last edited:

OBRI

Dabbler
Hi freenas folks,

I just upgraded to freenas 11.2 and took a look around and checked the most important functions.

Thanks for your great work, the new UI is nice and I found everything I needed. My Ubuntu VM runs good and all my storage also :smile:

Greetz

obri

danb35

Hall of Famer
What have I been using for the past 9 months?
Most likely the beta version that it was clearly marked as. But you said you're done with FreeNAS, so why are you still here?

aaronouthier

Explorer
Most likely the beta version that it was clearly marked as. But you said you're done with FreeNAS, so why are you still here?

I didn't see any mention of it being Beta. I did see that I was on FreeNAS 11.2 Stable. I had been on 11.1, but didn't get any updates for about 5-6 months. I had even checked manually. Then I noticed that my "train" was set to FreeNAS 11, rather than 11.1. I tried to switch to FreeNAS 11.1, but that was no longer on my list of options. My only options were 9.[something?], 11, 11 Nightlies, or 11.2 Release. I opted for the latest release version.

Also, I didn't mean that I was done permanently. I was having a few issues, and decided it wasn't quite optimal at that time. I always try check back on things to see if any improvements have been made. I was surprised that 11.2 had been recently released.

Now that things seem to be more stable, I will probably switch back to FreeNAS. I need to change my Power Supply first, however. My Power Supply isn't totally dead, but I ordered one for it, just to be on the safe side. System is off until I can find the time.

aaronouthier

Explorer
Presumably, a release candidate version of FreeNAS 11.2?

As far as your Ubuntu issues go, I'd look into passwordless logins once you confirm that you don't have an ongoing breach. Investigate the possibility that one of your other machines is infected with a key logger and hence is sending that data back to China. A password with a mixed set of characters 28-letters-long should result in the type of entropy that no brute-force password-cracker can take on right now, assuming the underlying encryption mechanism is solid, salted, and so on.

Thank you. I mentioned this to a friend, and he told me of a recent OpenSSH exploit that allowed hackers to establish a session without even knowing the password. Although the root account was disabled, finding a user with admin privileges was apparently easy enough. The most common systems affected were Ubuntu 18.04. The exploit was quickly patched by an update, but not quickly enough, I'd guess.

danb35

Hall of Famer
My only options were 9.[something?], 11, 11 Nightlies, or 11.2 Release. I opted for the latest release version.
The train was (and still is) called 11.2-STABLE. iX, in their questionable wisdom, decided to release betas into the -STABLE train, just as they did with 11.0 and 11.1 (and it caused exactly the same confusion each time, and each time they professed to be surprised about it). And when you did that update, you got a screen like this:
1546399583015.png

...and as you'll note, every line has "BETA2" on it. Obviously that changed (-BETA1, -BETA3, -RC1, etc.), but it was there.

Alix

Dabbler
So a 11.1 production server notified me of an update. I see that 11.2 is being pushed on the FreeNAS-11-STABLE train, although the descriptions of the trains remain the same.

FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE Release train for FreeNAS 9.10. Now in maintenance mode.
FreeNAS-11-Nightlies Nightly builds for FreeNAS 11. Very unstable, even ISO installs are not guaranteed to work. [nightly]
FreeNAS-11-Nightlies-SDK Nightly SDK builds for FreeNAS 11. Very unstable, even ISO installs are not guaranteed to work. [nightly]
FreeNAS-11-STABLE Release Train for FreeNAS 11.1 [release]
FreeNAS-11.2-STABLE Release Train for FreeNAS 11.2 [release]

1546524656958.png

Is this on purpose? I haven't had good luck with 11.2 so far. (S.M.A.R.T. not working, temps not reporting properly, etc.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's either an oversight or a known bug.

As always, keep your snapshots and backups in order before updating.

Ruff.Hi

Patron
Upgrade appeared to happen without any hitches. I like the new interface ... but it isn't reporting temps for CPUs or HDDs. Is there code that I need to add to get that to work?

diedrichg

Wizard
Upgrade appeared to happen without any hitches. I like the new interface ... but it isn't reporting temps for CPUs or HDDs. Is there code that I need to add to get that to work?
Bugs that are in progress. They are slated for 11.2-RELEASE-U3
Code:
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/versions/556

Ruff.Hi

Patron
Or maybe it was just a matter of time ... I am now seeing HDD temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.