FreeNAS Update 5/19/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Wizard
FreeNAS 11 is coming along nicely! I'm really liking the new GUI and the current theme. You'll definitely be pulling me back from Linux, possibly by 11.0, definitely by 11.1 :D ZFS is more of a pain to easily administer in Linux due to lack of good GUI tools and the fact that it's a kernel module and can't be built into the kernel directly. Once VM functionality is feature complete in the new GUI (and/or the new GUI is about 90% feature complete) I've give it a go on my home server. Currently running Arch Linux again but I'm debating on whether or not to switch over to CentOS until FreeNAS 11 is production ready, with the pace of development it may not be worth the hassle since it looks like I'll be switching back to FreeNAS soon.

NetMind

Cadet
Very good the way it takes the FN11.
I do not know if this one to be inserted in a future but one of the things that it seems that it is missing (and already I did not see in the Corral) is one of the information that the 9.x version has that it is that small lunatic signal in the upper right corner where it warns There is a problem, especially with the disks.

Will there be something like this in this new version?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't have the syntax right in front of me, but the iocage command has a fstab option that lets you add / edit / remove fstab lines, which are your nullfs mounts into the jail. Should be in the man page, but ill try to post an example when I'm in front of a computer again.

Had a chance to get the syntax, here you go:

# iocage fstab -a <jailname> /the/dir

That will nullfs mount "/the/dir" into the jail as "/the/dir". There are more complex things you can do, please check the man page as well :)

Sasayaki

Explorer
is docker integration + GUI on the roadmap for 11.1? do we have a ruff roadmap for post 11.x

EDIT: I'm quite happy to run CoreOS for docker + portainer (or whatever else), but native integration was something i really was looking forward to in corral.

I too am quite interested in this, as it's the only thing keeping me in Corral at the moment. At least, I think it is...

I have really no idea how I'm going to upgrade actually, and I have a really annoying suspicion that I'm going to lose all my Docker containers and end up rebuilding everything from scratch.

Which is fine I guess. It's just an annoyance...

John Doe

Guru
Is it possible to resume interrupted replications, now?
I wanna do this over WAN and sometimes there are small disconnections that fail the replication task.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Has been for a while, I think.

John Doe

Guru

Ykno

Dabbler
Is RC3 being released today?
Sorry main post was unclear if it was RC3 today and stable release on 29th.

or

If it meant your starting RC3 today and release RC3 on 29th.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Is it possible to resume interrupted replications, now?
I wanna do this over WAN and sometimes there are small disconnections that fail the replication task.
No, resume replication of a single snapshot is not possible (e.g. if you're sending a 1TB first snapshot and that gets disconnected, you have to start all over again)

Thanks for the update. I've just set this up and been very happy with FreeNAS and my system. I am stuck at 9.10-RELEASE because the most recent 9.10.2-U2 version won't boot. It was something to do with FreeBSD 11 as the base, but the fix needed wouldn't be in the 9.10 branch. System would hang at Loading Kernel Modules... Needless to say I've been patiently awaiting the final release of this version to apply to my system.

Let me just take the opportunity to thank all the developers and volunteers in the forum for making such a wonderful product, and for helping us UNIX (relative) newbies get set up and learn.

Rakesh Gupta

Dabbler
Would like to know when FreeNAS 11 Stable will be available. It was expected to be released on 22nd May.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Nobody wants jails. Give us docker.
Zero interest in docker. I use it for development and it's just a pain sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

bestboy

Contributor
Is the new UI of FreeNAS 11.0 going to have HDD temperature graphs in the monitoring section like Corral?
As far as back porting Corral features goes, that's really all I need* :)

Edit: (*) oh and maybe support for mosh

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, not for 11.0, at least.

But you can get drive temperature history using smartctl -x /dev/adaX.

bestboy

Contributor
Yeah, I know. I even have this nifty temperature reporting script from someone here in the forums to parse the SMART data:
Code:
  #!/bin/sh

### Parameters ###
  cores=$(sysctl hw.ncpu | cut -c10)
  drives="da0 da1 da2 da3 da4 da5"  # needs manual setup

### CPU ###
  echo ""
  cores=$((cores - 1))
  for core in $(seq 0 $cores)
  do
	 temp="$(sysctl -a | grep "cpu.${core}.temp" | cut -c24-25 | tr -d "\n")"
	 printf "CPU %s: %s C\n" "$core" "$temp"
  done

### Disks ###
  echo ""
  for drive in $drives
  do
	 serial="$(smartctl -i /dev/${drive} | grep "Serial Number" | awk '{print $3}')"
	 temp="$(smartctl -A /dev/${drive} | grep "Temperature_Celsius" | awk '{print $10}')"
	 printf "%s %-15s: %s C\n" "$drive" "$serial" "$temp"
  done
  echo ""

But having the temperature as a line graph per device is just better to visualize changes and correlate them with other effects (e.g. the CPU graph or simply the time of day).
It's not important to have it, tho. Just nice to have.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickF

Guru
I'm looking forward to this.
I want to move Plex back to a jail... It has been flakey in docker. Every few days I have to reboot it because this happens:

Screenshot_20170523-221747.png

But I still want all of my other docker plugins in Corral... Unifi...btsync...plexpy...smoking. docker let me easily limit their CPU and memory usages.

11 will hopefully be the best of both worlds...

hescominsoon

Patron
No, not for 11.0, at least.

But you can get drive temperature history using smartctl -x /dev/adaX.
is that a future consideration? Are there other temperatures that are not available in the GUI? right now I am staying on corral because FN11 is not able to import the volume i have created.

Status
Not open for further replies.