11.0-RC4 is Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Happy Wednesday everybody! I'm pleased to announce that our hard-working FreeNAS development team has wrapped up and pushed 11.0-RC4! There are 31 issues which have been fixed from the last RC3:

https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/issues?query_id=393

RC4 is planned to be our last RC before release proper. At this point only major bugs will be looked at, otherwise you can expect future fixes and enhancements to land in 11.0-U1, 11.0-U2, 11.1 and so forth. If you find anything big or small go ahead and report it to our bug-tracker and we'll be sure it gets addressed.

Thanks and Happy NAS'ing!

diedrichg

Wizard
I'm not a Corral user but it's going to be nice to hear if the Corral to FN11-RC4 bug fix actually works and if those on "Lost" island can make it back to the real world.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not a Corral user but it's going to be nice to hear if the Corral to FN11-RC4 bug fix actually works and if those on "Lost" island can make it back to the real world.
It only keeps them from ending up in limbo because they didn't read the documentation. The migration itself is no easier than it was.

Zwck

Patron
It only keeps them from ending up in limbo because they didn't read the documentation. The migration itself is no easier than it was.

Actually thanks to your thread about the migration it turned out to be quite easy/ w/o data loss. Yes, i have to deal with setting up my own docker environment, but hey it takes 10 minutes to do.

gpsguy

Will the 11.0 RC4 ISO be available on download.freenas.org/11

Some users have been able to get to RC4 via the update process.

Rakesh Gupta

Dabbler
Before I jump to RC4 download and install, want to know whether it will allow to install Stable release when it is released ?

Zwck

Patron
Before I jump to RC4 download and install, want to know whether it will allow to install Stable release when it is released ?
RC4 is on the stable train, so i cant see why it should be a problem :D

Brer

Explorer

As Zwck says, RC4 is on the stable train as below, this was taken from RC4.

upload_2017-6-8_7-5-54.png

fracai

Guru
Very nice! However, now that we have a sane version number again with 11.0, why not just go with 11.0.1, 11.0.2 etc. for bugfix patches, and ditch the "U" naming? Adopting semantic versioning would make things less confusing for everyone.
The only way that the U naming makes sense would be if the version number was going to be split such that the first part matched the FreeBSD version and the U was incremented for every FreeNAS update.

What is the point of major.minor-Update instead of the standard major.minor.update?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The only way that the U naming makes sense would be if the version number was going to be split such that the first part matched the FreeBSD version and the U was incremented for every FreeNAS update.

What is the point of major.minor-Update instead of the standard major.minor.update?
It's probably going to be FreeBSD major version.feature version -U bugfix update

silverback

Contributor
Will the 11.0 RC4 ISO be available on download.freenas.org/11

Some users have been able to get to RC4 via the update process.

Yes I need this as I get "unable to activate boot environment" when using the GUI.

Thanks

gpsguy

Yes I need this as I get "unable to activate boot environment" when using the GUI.

I just checked, the RC4 ISO is available now in download.freenas.org/11

emk2203

Guru
Just to let everyone interested know: RELEASE is now available. Updating my two FreeNAS servers while I post this.

Status
Not open for further replies.