11.3-RC1 Now Available!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Last edited:

emk2203

Guru
That was quicker than expected, I thought we go through some more betas here. However, my own impressions of the beta1 confirm that a RC is not out of place. I let you know if anything surfaces.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yea, we took a look at the tickets from BETA1, the vast majority (with a few exceptions) were mostly trivial / cosmetic in nature. Another whole test-cycle went into RC1 to get it prepared for release, and thus far we're feeling pretty good about this upcoming release.

emk2203

Guru
I like the automatic reminder to save the config when you do the update via the web interface. That was a great idea.

appliance

Explorer
I love the notification system, it sets some critical items sticky. It even monitors if the events are still valid, and clears them later. This is most powerful of what i saw in NAS systems.
"The Plugins page has been streamlined so that most operations can be performed without having to go to the Jails page. " - i actually have to keep switchingt between Plugins and Jails nonstop, i think i need just the Edit button from Jails:)

ThreeDee

Guru
the Beta has been working good .. I'll get RC1 installed this afternoon!

Smooth install .. Plex and UniFi controller still working just peachily

Last edited:

Elo

Contributor
Installed RC1. The BETA 1 has been running well without any other issues than inability to create jails. Now after installing RC1 two of my Pools just disappeared (GUI info is status unknown). The drives does not seem to get loaded according to dmesg.boot.

My Supermicro server case hosts 16 disks, all slots are populated. glabel status lists 14

Any suggestions on how to get the Pools back into the system?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Installed RC1. The BETA 1 has been running well without any other issues than inability to create jails. Now after installing RC1 two of my Pools just disappeared (GUI info is status unknown). The drives does not seem to get loaded according to dmesg.boot.

My Supermicro server case hosts 16 disks, all slots are populated. glabel status lists 14

Any suggestions on how to get the Pools back into the system?

My guess is that it's a local browser cache issue. Try shift+F5 to refresh, or open a new private tab to see.

Elo

Contributor
Thanks Kris. It seems to be a HW instability concerning my disk controler.... I changed the controler to a spare and systems seems ok..

TigerXtrm

Dabbler
Excuse the newbie question, but is an RC release an official stable release, or just a step up from a beta release? I've never seen releases indicated with RC before.

Octopuss

Patron
RC means release candidate. It's more than beta, but not full release either. It's typically a build that's considered stable and without any significant bugs, but needs some additional testing before release.

jenksdrummer

Patron
Upgraded from 11.2U7 to U11.3RC1 w/o issue; noticed that it reports that my zpool could be upgraded. I believe i had loaded this box with U7 clean, so this should be the first upgrade it's seen.

I'm not seeing in the changelog where there was a ZFS version/improvement/change; that or I just missed that being noted somewhere. Anyone have info on this?

G8One2

Patron
Is it safe to upgrade to 11.3 RC1 from 11.2 u7? Ive been waiting for the stable release 11.3 seems like forever. Afraid to break my jails. Any idea when the stable release will be out?

Adrian

Contributor
Is it safe to upgrade to 11.3 RC1 from 11.2 u7? I've been waiting for the stable release 11.3 seems like forever. Afraid to break my jails. Any idea when the stable release will be out?
Jira shows a release date of 2020/01/07, but don't bank on this. iX will release it when they are ready, hopefully soon after that date.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
I wonder ... was there any major change done regarding GELI/encryption? From DOCs New Features in 11.3i see these:

There have been several Pool Manager improvements. The labels and tooltips for encryption operations are clearer.
An Export Pool Encryption Keys option has been added to the SAVE CONFIG dialog.

And i found only three records in Jira
NAS-102553 Unify terminology and fix inconsistencies with pool encryption
NAS-104145 Fix encryption error when editing cloud sync task
NAS-104419 Fix traceback unlocking encrypted pool

Neither one of the above shows anything that could (potentially) screw encrypted pool. Also i don't see any open issues related to geli/encryption.

Did anyone tested 11.3 RC1 with encrypted pools? Any issues with import/export?

Thanks !

firsway

Dabbler
I've just gone from 11.2-U7 to 11.3-RC1 in the last hour!

1) There was a CPU temperature (lack of display) bug supposed to have been fixed. Appears it may not be. Running a Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core CPU.
2) The console got a few messages relating to inability to delete previously created (using the snapshot task manager) snapshots that have a finite lifetime, example;
Dec 29 04:15:12 freenas /autosnap.py: [tools.autosnap:609] Failed to destroy snapshot 'vol1/Media/TV_Shows@auto-20191228.1600-12h': could not find any snapshots to destroy; check snapshot names.
I've manually deleted the snapshots (which did exist when listed), and await to see whether going forward from the upgrade, new snapshots created since then have the same issue.

Otherwise everything else is looking great!

appliance

Explorer
Did anyone tested 11.3 RC1 with encrypted pools? Any issues with import/export?
didn't notice any geli related issues. only replication/panic issues.