FreeNAS 11.2-RELEASE has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Interesting. Just rebooted after changing the L2ARC settings and auto tune over-wrote my L2ARC changes. Is there a way to make these changes auto-tune-proof?

Autotune is not recommended.

htothek

Cadet
Dell Precision T3600 checking in... same issues with USB boot.

Tried multiple USB installs with different drives as well as multiple USB targets for installation. My output is identical (sans uids) to FreeVel's issue.

file_haver

Explorer
Anyone else getting stuck at 50.00% - Release 11.2-RELEASE missing, will attempt to fetch it. when attempting to install a plugin?

edit: never mind, had to uninstall the plugin in legacy view then worked after a reboot.

Last edited:

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Now that Warden jails should have been phased out, I wanted to see if I could clean up any residual Warden stuff.

- Can I just destroy the old jails dataset?
- It looks like there is some kind of hidden snapshot task for Warden: tank/jails/.warden-template-standard-11.0-x64@auto-20181201.1300-2m. How do I get rid of that?

Furthermore, two smaller points of improvement about the console:

- Can't paste into the console anymore.
- Can't configure the number of columns anymore.

But I appreciate the effort in building a new GUI and that not all can be done at once :) .

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
For some reason I am missing the 11.2 train when trying to upgrade. Currently on 11.2 RC-2, not sure if anyone else is experiencing this?

UPDATE: I switched to the old theme and I was then able to select the 11.2-Stable train.

freenas.png

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Thumbs up for the change in the alerting system that sends notifications when alerts resolve, not only when they appear.

adrianwi

Guru
I thought I'd give it a spin, given FreeBSD support in 11.1-U6 is EOL.

Updated without any issues, and so far most things seem to be working fine. A couple of things I need to work out:

- how do you view replication settings and what periodic snapshots I've got configured?
- OpenVPN jail isn't working, although I kind of expected that. Will need to investigate further
- How do you edit Cron Jobs or Run then?

The new interface is going to take some getting used to though.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
how do you view replication settings and what recursive snapshots I've got configured?
These are both under Tasks now, with the other periodic tasks.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Hmm maybe a new GELI encryption key was generated? That would explain the missing passphrase. Do you have a backup of the old key file? If so could you compare the old and current one?
So, since I don't have a great program to compare them (or the knowledge to use GREP like this), I can only say that of the multiple keyfiles I have, every key I have is different based on opening the 64-byte file in BBEdit and comparing them visually. One GELI file is from September 26, Dec 6 (post 11.2 upgrade), and today (added the L2ARC SSD a few days ago).

I will reboot at some point today to see if the pass-phrase "took" (the UI suggests a pass-phrase was successfully set)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 8.25.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 8.25.46 AM.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 434

adrianwi

Guru
I thought I'd give it a spin, given FreeBSD support in 11.1-U6 is EOL.

Updated without any issues, and so far most things seem to be working fine. A couple of things I need to work out:

- how do you view replication settings and what periodic snapshots I've got configured?
- OpenVPN jail isn't working, although I kind of expected that. Will need to investigate further
- How do you edit Cron Jobs or Run then?

The new interface is going to take some getting used to though.

Thanks @danb35.

I'd minimised the left-hand menu bar, and when you do that it creates vertical scrollbars which I hadn't noticed so was missing most of the menu options. Kind of makes sense to have them I suppose. I've also worked out the similar issue with editing and running jobs. There was a horizontal scroll bar so I couldn't see three dots which give you the edit and run options.

Getting OpenVPN back up and running was as simple as setting a variable in the iocage jail and then rebooting, as per this bug thread > https://ftp.freenas.org/issues/40872#note-44.

Maybe next weekend i'll have some time to migrate the remaining warden jail I have (even thought I can live without it) and update the iocage ones to Freebsd 11.2

Struggling with new UI on my iphone has it won't load using Chrome or Safari, and legacy not working either

Last edited:

majerus

Contributor
Now that Warden jails should have been phased out, I wanted to see if I could clean up any residual Warden stuff.

- Can I just destroy the old jails dataset?
- It looks like there is some kind of hidden snapshot task for Warden: tank/jails/.warden-template-standard-11.0-x64@auto-20181201.1300-2m. How do I get rid of that?

Furthermore, two smaller points of improvement about the console:

- Can't paste into the console any more.
- Can't configure the number of columns any more.

But I appreciate the effort in building a new GUI and that not all can be done at once :) .

Shift insert works for me in chrome.

-fun-

Contributor
I run FreeNAS on a HP Microserver Gen8, which I understand does not support UEFI

Yes, the Gen8 does not support UEFI.

Can anyone here confirm a successful upgrade was possible on a Microserver Gen8?

-fun-

Contributor
I have questions regarding recommendations from the release notes.

Before updating, save a copy of your configuration: System → General → Save Config.
If you really care about your existing boot environments (many users don’t), replicate them to another system.

Backup of system config is clear. But: are the "existing boot environments" my previous versions (accessible from System / Boot) on my boot device?

Does the sentence from the release notes imply that all of these will be lost during an upgrade to 11.2? This would effectively prohibit booting into a previous version. I can't believe that "many users don't" care for this possibility in case anything goes wrong with an upgrade??

Anyway: How do I actually replicate the boot environments? (Anything more elegant than extracting bitwise images from both mirrored thumb drives.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
the sentence from the release notes imply that all of these will be lost during an upgrade to 11.2?
No. They're lost if you reinstall from scratch.

freedombacon

Dabbler
This is great news. I've been looking forward to this upgrade and the improvements to the plugins for a long time. I was didn't have any problems upgrading with an encrypted pool after making a backup and deleting the plugins. All the pools and shares are still there. I started setting up the plugins again. Emby is not playing anything, but hopefully I can figure that out today.

piorrun

Cadet
It's great that the UI got revamp. I have bravely upgraded 2 production boxes. Not without hiccups.

On one iSCSI service did not start at bootup - it was marked to start. Manual toggle of a switch got it going, I wonder if it will reoccur after I powercycle the box.
Second box needed disabling and enabling the NFS service for the client to connect.
Both boxes S.M.A.R.T is not starting: from /var/log/messages root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smartd-daemon: WARNING: /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf is not readable. . File is not there. I copied the sample config, and that got the service running not sure yet about the actual not investigated it yet.

make-nz

Dabbler
Having upgraded ealier form 11.1-U6 --> 11.2.RC3 all went well with no problem.
Today I tried upgrading 11.2.RC3 --> 11.2-REL and the boot-loader got damaged
I do not have a config backup.

I run FreeNAS on a HP Microserver Gen8, which I understand does not support UEFI

this is what I have tried so far ...

Try #1
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, upgraded to 11.1-U6 by selecting reformat boot, BIOS boot
2. Freenas DB was upgraded with errors
3. booted to FreeNAS, all jails and VMs booted correctly
4. System Menu (legacy) throws errors and cannot use at all
5. System Menu (Angular) works with no errors; can select upgrade menu but a spining dialog never goes awat

Try #2
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, upgraded to 11.2-REL by selecting reformat boot, *UEFI* boot
2. Freenas DB was upgraded with *no* errors
3. cannot boot, getting boot error "cannot boot from data partition"

Try #3
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, then upgraded to 11.2-REL by selecting reformat boot, *BIOS* boot
2. Freenas DB was upgraded with *no* errors
3. cannot boot, getting again the below screen - hence it is unlikely to be bad sector on the boot device

Try #4
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, then do a fresh install for 11.2-REL by selecting reformat boot, *BIOS* boot
2. cannot boot, getting again the below screen - hence it is unlikely to be bad sector on the boot device

Any advise on how to recover the bootloader would be welcomed.

View attachment 26912

If you feel like doing a little test… hook up an external 2.5 or 3.5 USB HDD to an usb port and do a test install from ISO!

None of my problems did show up and install time was down to ~4m.

It always felt like I would waste that 5th Sata Port if I was to use it for boot.
If a usb stick fails — and they do — it's a quick fix, as there are sticks to be found in almost any office drawer ;-)
And the System Dataset on the the pool, you got an up to date config to load.
USB2 speed of ~30-40MBps is plenty, spinning hdds are durable and I finally have a use case for all the 2.5 500GB drives I pulled out of notebooks for newer SSDs.

HP_Gen8-booting-from-ext-usb-hdd.jpg

Apollo

Wizard
Upgraded my Threadripper 1900X from 11.2-RC1 to 11.2-Release without issues.
It took around 10-20 minutes for the update to take place because my system would try to detach the various swap from the GELI drives.
My G4600 seem to be more resilient at performing the update from 11.2-RC2 to 11.2-Release. Can't seem to download the update.

On both systems, I am getting this warning:

This is not a production release, and should only be used for testing.

Before updating, please read the release notes.
Is it still not a production release?

Status
Not open for further replies.