FreeNAS 11.2-RELEASE has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Tricky question ... i have Encrypted pools in place ... Anybody can confirm that the upgrade to 11.2. will not wreck this? I am a bit scared ^^

Tricky Answer: My encrypted pool appears to have had it's passphrase stripped when I went from 11.1-U6 to 11.2. As a result, the pool no longer needed to be unlocked inside the UI. No data was lost, however, and I was able to add a pass-phrase afterward.

ethereal

Guru
will me going from 11.1 to 11.2 update my jail or do i redo it ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
will me going from 11.1 to 11.2 update my jail or do i redo it ?
Upgrading to 11.2 will not, by itself, change anything with your jails. You'd still need to migrate them (if they're warden jails) or upgrade them to 11.2 (if they're iocage jails) after you do the upgrade.

Adrian

Contributor
HP N36L Microserver (Sandisk Cruzer Fit 1.00 mirrored boot), FreeNAS Mini, FreeNAS Mini XL successfully upgraded form 11.1-U6 to 11.2-RELEASE.
Thanks!

ethereal

Guru
Upgrading to 11.2 will not, by itself, change anything with your jails. You'd still need to migrate them (if they're warden jails) or upgrade them to 11.2 (if they're iocage jails) after you do the upgrade.

thanks for your reply - does migrate mean a big button that does it for you or is it done in the terminal

i have a sql standard jail

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You either redo your jails or use the migration script and see if it works.

ethereal

Guru
i just updated to 11.2 and my sql standard jail works with no input from me

hrabbe

Dabbler
I did a fresh intstall of freenas 11.2. In gui no pools is available to add. What to do?
Its possible to import the pool in terminal but it is still not showing in the gui.

microserf

Dabbler
2 upgrades from 11.1-U6 to 11.2-RELEASE went smoothly. One plugin/jail came along for the ride and works but is not seen in the new UI (as expected).

danb35

Hall of Famer
i just updated to 11.2 and my sql standard jail works with no input from me
Yes, it would. But if it's a warden jail, it won't show in the new GUI, and at some point it should be redone as an iocage jail.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Tricky Answer: My encrypted pool appears to have had it's passphrase stripped when I went from 11.1-U6 to 11.2. As a result, the pool no longer needed to be unlocked inside the UI. No data was lost, however, and I was able to add a pass-phrase afterward.
Hmm maybe a new GELI encryption key was generated? That would explain the missing passphrase. Do you have a backup of the old key file? If so could you compare the old and current one?

FreeVel

Dabbler
Having upgraded ealier form 11.1-U6 --> 11.2.RC3 all went well with no problem.
Today I tried upgrading 11.2.RC3 --> 11.2-REL and the boot-loader got damaged
I do not have a config backup.

I run FreeNAS on a HP Microserver Gen8, which I understand does not support UEFI

this is what I have tried so far ...

Try #1
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, upgraded to 11.1-U6 by selecting reformat boot, BIOS boot
2. Freenas DB was upgraded with errors
3. booted to FreeNAS, all jails and VMs booted correctly
4. System Menu (legacy) throws errors and cannot use at all
5. System Menu (Angular) works with no errors; can select upgrade menu but a spining dialog never goes awat

Try #2
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, upgraded to 11.2-REL by selecting reformat boot, *UEFI* boot
2. Freenas DB was upgraded with *no* errors
3. cannot boot, getting boot error "cannot boot from data partition"

Try #3
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, then upgraded to 11.2-REL by selecting reformat boot, *BIOS* boot
2. Freenas DB was upgraded with *no* errors
3. cannot boot, getting again the below screen - hence it is unlikely to be bad sector on the boot device

Try #4
=====
1. Using install ISO on usb key, then do a fresh install for 11.2-REL by selecting reformat boot, *BIOS* boot
2. cannot boot, getting again the below screen - hence it is unlikely to be bad sector on the boot device

Any advise on how to recover the bootloader would be welcomed.

1544277316243.png

Last edited:

file_haver

Explorer
Hey guys just upgraded 11.1-U6 to 12-RELEASE and it worked great thanks!

Here is the only thing im confused by. You need to go to the legacy interface to manage legacy jails.

My only jail is the plexmediaserver one, should i delete and re-make it in the new interface or is there a way to "update" it so that it will show in the new interface as well?

Thanks in advance. This is the only thing im confused on.

danb35

Hall of Famer
is there a way to "update" it so that it will show in the new interface as well?
A forum search for "iocage jail migration" will answer your questions.

file_haver

Explorer
A forum search for "iocage jail migration" will answer your questions.
Much appreciated, wasnt sure the name of what i was looking for :cool:

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Well, updating from 11.1U6 to 11.2 on my 10th generation HPE Microserver was pretty uneventful. Upgrading iocage jails is not exactly fast, but works nicely, no issues so far. Also the iocage networking works without manually having to add any kind of virtual network devices :) .

Bummer though that there now is a nice CPU temperature chart on the dashboard that doesn't show anything. But I already kind of expected that, doesn't seem to work for my CPU.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Interesting. Just rebooted after changing the L2ARC settings and auto tune over-wrote my L2ARC changes. Is there a way to make these changes auto-tune-proof?

Unfortunately, the pass phrase for the volume was removed again, so the volume was not locked after reboot.

Colodutch

Cadet
Installed 11.2 Release over 11.2 RC1 (which was working fine). Success, everything appeared to work. After it was running an hour or so, the menu items Jails and everything under that became unresponsive. Restart and everything was fine but after an hour or so, same story. Now back on 11.2 RC1 on my HP N40L, 8Gb USB boot drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.