FreeNAS 11.3 Released

iLikeWaffles

Dabbler
I just checked but I don't see any option to disable LAN in the BIOS. I have a Supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard. I saw some stuff with regard to "ROM" but not to disable individual ports.
1581283456684.png

I have the same mobo, don't see why you need to disable the NIC.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
So I found, too. truss quickly exposed where iocage was waisting so much time on every invocation. Remember: when in doubt, use brute force (Ken Thompson) ;)

I then searched for and found the iocage issues on github. Let's hope that will be fixed in 11.3-U1.

Apart from that: wonderful release! Thanks everyone involved!
Patrick
I put in a bug report on Jira for it on 11.3. It was already set to be implemented into 12. Looks like the commit on github for 11.3 has been approved today.

In my mind, the smoothest FreeNAS upgrade to date. Well done on the QA side!

The only (very minor) eyebrow raisers so far for me are:
  1. The need to manually upgrade jail RELEASES.
  2. A query on LEGACY replication tasks.
FreeNAS 11.3 is arguably more beautiful than Corral (FreeNAS 10), more functional in a number of key areas and way ahead in terms of stability.

So is there anything from Corral that I still miss? Selfishly, just one. Does anyone, apart from me, miss the calendar? I'd love to see it make a reappearance in a future release of FreeNAS.

corral calendar.png

ChaosBlades

Contributor
In my mind, the smoothest FreeNAS upgrade to date. Well done on the QA side!

The only (very minor) eyebrow raisers so far for me are:
  1. The need to manually upgrade jail RELEASES.
  2. A query on LEGACY replication tasks.
FreeNAS 11.3 is arguably more beautiful than Corral (FreeNAS 10), more functional in a number of key areas and way ahead in terms of stability.

So is there anything from Corral that I still miss? Selfishly, just one. Does anyone, apart from me, miss the calendar? I'd love to see it make a reappearance in a future release of FreeNAS.

View attachment 35686
It looks like a pretty low priority.

sindreruud

Dabbler
My FreeNAS 11.2U7 is saying "No updates available". In the "Train" drop-down menu I have three options:

FreeNAS-11.2-STABLE
FreeNAS-11-Nightlies-SDK
FreeNAS-11-Nightlies

Do I have to install manual update file, or am I missing something here?

msbxa

Contributor
My FreeNAS 11.2U7 is saying "No updates available". In the "Train" drop-down menu I have three options:

FreeNAS-11.2-STABLE
FreeNAS-11-Nightlies-SDK
FreeNAS-11-Nightlies

Do I have to install manual update file, or am I missing something here?

Have you tried to restart FreeNAS just in case to see if it's going to pop the latest 11.3 train.

minituff

Dabbler
Have you tried to restart FreeNAS just in case to see if it's going to pop the latest 11.3 train.

I'm having the same issue as well. I updated to 11.2U7 but I don't see the 11.3 release.. Even after a restart.

msbxa

Contributor
No more ideas other than make a config backup and create a new FreeNAS 11.3 USB bootable disk then restore or upload from the config backup and never destroy your old FreeNAS 11.2. U7 USB disk.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Just updated last night, and almost everything went smoothly. Mountpoints for the jails are changed, preventing them from auto-starting, but most of them self-corrected when the jail was started using iocage start jailname from the CLI. The few that didn't, I was able to correct using iocage fstab -e jailname. I also needed to reconfigure the UPS settings, but once I did it stopped throwing errors.

The dashboard is looking much nicer too, with the reporting information much more useful (even if a little cluttered with 32 virtual cores in my system). (Edit: really liking what they've done with the pool status tiles) However...

The dashboard has tiles (and pretty large tiles at that) for eight network interfaces (four on-board GbE ports, two 10GbE ports on a Chelsio T420, and two that I'm honestly not sure about). I'm only using one. It'd be nice to be able to turn off the others

Last edited:

NasKar

Guru
I also needed to reconfigure the UPS settings, but once I did it stopped throwing errors.
What settings did you change on the UPS?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What settings did you change on the UPS?
I needed to change the driver. Under 11.2, one of the entries specifically mentioned the APC 9630 network card, and it worked perfectly. Under 11.3, I'm not sure if the driver name changed, but the description did, and it wasn't making connections. I changed the driver to one mentioning the AP9618 SNMP monitoring card, and that one works just fine.

Damianos

iXsystems
iXsystems
...So is there anything from Corral that I still miss? Selfishly, just one. Does anyone, apart from me, miss the calendar? I'd love to see it make a reappearance in a future release of FreeNAS.

View attachment 35686

Corral was before my time at iX so I don't have first hand experience with this. With that said, this looks very interesting so I've created a ticket to gauge user interest. If any users are interested in this making a comeback in a future release, please vote on the Jira ticket linked below.

Corral was before my time at iX so I don't have first hand experience with this. With that said, this looks very interesting so I've created a ticket to gauge user interest. If any users are interested in this making a comeback in a future release, please vote on the Jira ticket linked below.

OMG!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! Everyone vote please! :p

minituff

Dabbler
No more ideas other than make a config backup and create a new FreeNAS 11.3 USB bootable disk then restore or upload from the config backup and never destroy your old FreeNAS 11.2. U7 USB disk.

I ended up getting it to work. Under System -> Boot. I was on 11.2-U7-1. I had an issue with when U7 first came out so I rolled back to U6 and stayed there. Once I wanted to move to 11.3 it created a new environment for me. So I changed my active environment to 11.2-U7 and once I booted that environment I was able to see the new 11.3 update.

zorak950

Dabbler
What does it do? It's a centralized way to visually schedule system tasks?
That and more. It serves a number of useful functions. Some that spring to mind include:
  • A drag and drop approach to scheduling one-off and periodic tasks such as scrubs, replication, snapshots short and long SMART tests, cron jobs, commands, rsync tasks, updates, reporting, etc.
  • A consolidated approach to task management. Atm, you have to dive in and out of different menus to create and schedule specific tasks.
  • The visual approach helps you avoid scheduling resource-intensive tasks in the same block of time eg scrubs and long smart tests together.
  • Day, week and month views help you choose the best days and times to schedule new jobs around existing jobs.

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard
That and more. It serves a number of useful functions. Some that spring to mind include:
  • A drag and drop approach to scheduling one-off and periodic tasks such as scrubs, replication, snapshots short and long SMART tests, cron jobs, commands, rsync tasks and updates, reporting, etc.
  • A consolidated approach to task management. Atm, you have to dive in and out of different menus to create and schedule specific tasks.
  • The visual approach helps you avoid scheduling resource-intensive tasks in the same block of time eg scrubs and long smart tests together.
  • Day, week and month views help you choose the best days and times to schedule jobs.
I wonder if the videos from Jordan Hubbard explaining the features of the OS are still out there?

Damianos

iXsystems
iXsystems
I wonder if the videos from Jordan Hubbard explaining the features of the OS are still out there?
I had a quick look and could no longer locate his presentation on Corral. However, there's about a minute's worth of video on the Corral calendar starting at around 17:58 on this YouTube video.

Last edited: