FreeNAS 11.3 Released

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
FreeNAS Community,

Pleased to announce that FreeNAS 11.3-RELEASE is now available! This marks our first major release of 2020 and brings with it a slew of new features and functionality, including but not limited to:

• Re-implemented Replication Engine, allows up to 10Gb replication speeds (a 10x improvement), resume support on failed transfers, as well as ability to replicate locally.
  • ACL Manager – Allows setup and management of SMB ACL’s directly via the FreeNAS web interface.
  • SMB Shadow Copies are now enabled by default for new shares – Note: Snapshots will only show up in Windows “Previous Versions Tab” if the snapshot USED size shows changes to the file.
  • A repository of Community plugins has been created, users can now create and distribute 3rd party plugins which are not officially iXsystems supported.
  • Updated translations for Czech, French, Japanese, Russian, and Simplified Chinese. Additionally, the process to add additional translations has been greatly improved.
  • iSCSI Wizard – Streamlines the process of creating new iSCSI targets down to a few clicks.
  • Alert System Overhaul – More granular alerts, as well as controls to set alert thresholds.
  • Dashboard Updates – The initial dashboard now shows a live view of system status, including network traffic, CPU / memory utilization and more.
  • NAT Support for Plugins – Eliminates the need for each plugin to have a dedicated IP address on your network.
  • Full featured 2.0 API – Includes both REST and Websocket connections, allowing FreeNAS to be fully scripted and driven via the same API used by the web-interface.
  • Large Pool Creation Assistance – When creating ZFS pools with large number of disks, the UI provides an automated way to repeat a VDEV layout across all remaining disks.
  • ZFS Performance optimizations across the board for many different workloads.

Full Release Notes:
https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-3-release/

Download:
https://www.freenas.org/download/

Issue Tracker:
https://jira.ixsystems.com

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Hooray!

I noticed "Deprecated and Removed Features" did not list the removal of using different sized drives in a pool.

n3mur1t0r

Dabbler
Hello, congratulations for the release!

Why are there still trains for 11-STABLE and 11.3-STABLE? did you not say that, when 11.3 is released, there will be a single STABLE train? (currently still on 11.1-U7)

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello, congratulations for the release!

Why are there still trains for 11-STABLE and 11.3-STABLE? did you not say that, when 11.3 is released, there will be a single STABLE train? (currently still on 11.1-U7)

We still leave those trains active for users running those older releases, so they can update to the last release in that series. We should probably hide those in the future though if you are already ahead of them.

Stilez

Guru
congrats!

One immediate thing that leaps out at me is spacemap_v2. As this is now in a release, is it considered safe to use? Is there a technical summary of exactly what it's doing? I get that it uses lartger entries but what does that facilitate, and whats the detail behind why that matters, for considering whether to enable? It could be very useful for me (Ive teied fixing spacemap handling using tunables), but I dont know enough about this feature to decide about enabling it.....

ThreeDee

Guru
updated and everything is still working! :p

kspare

Guru
If you have the ability, does it make sense to move data off the zfs store and blow it away, or just do the pool upgrade?

Darklion

Explorer
I just installed it. Let me say that I had some trouble setting up some stuff on 11.2-u6 and u7 but this 11.3 is working better and the improvements on the graphics are much appreciated.

The way the plugins are displayed make them a lot more easier to find and the description helps a lot.

Thank you for continuing improvements on a super and wonderful tool.

majerus

Contributor
If you have the ability, does it make sense to move data off the zfs store and blow it away, or just do the pool upgrade?

I just upgraded the pool without issues. I wouldnt move data when doing that upgrade

rknaub

Explorer
Just upgraded from 11.2u7. While all my jails seemed to work, I was unable to access most of the items on the left side, jails, plugins, storage, network to name just a couple. I was able to get into system and able to change back to u7 though. Also, on the main dashboard page, it wouldn’t load the network interface (Melanox 10gig), the line just kept moving but would never display any info. Either 11.3 doesn’t like my nic, or perhaps it doesn’t like that it is using jumbo frames, either way I had to roll back to u7 for now.

Inxsible

Guru
Just upgraded from 11.2u7. While all my jails seemed to work, I was unable to access most of the items on the left side, jails, plugins, storage, network to name just a couple. I was able to get into system and able to change back to u7 though. Also, on the main dashboard page, it wouldn’t load the network interface (Melanox 10gig), the line just kept moving but would never display any info. Either 11.3 doesn’t like my nic, or perhaps it doesn’t like that it is using jumbo frames, either way I had to roll back to u7 for now.
I had the same thing for a while. I just think it's probably because of browser cache. Try to refresh the pages again and it should work.

rknaub

Explorer
After rolling back to u7, all my jails are missing, even after restoring the config. Now I’m in trouble.

Back to 11.3 it is, jails back, can now access almost everything in the dashboard, Network info box still won’t load though. Going to plug-ins presents an error though, - Method “list_resource” not found in “jail”

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP

rknaub

Explorer
Yep, must have been a cache thing. After about an hour I am now seeing the new interface and everything looks to be working fine. Some of the community plugins look promising!!

Is FreeNAS 11.3 based on FreeBSD 11.3? I'd like to get my jails on an OS version that is still supported.

11.3-release-p5 it appears

PetrZ

Dabbler