FreeNAS 11.3-BETA1 - Now available!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Sorry, I stand corrected on that. We did remove that option for 11.3 FreeNAS, it is enabled still on TrueNAS builds specifically, since this is the first release with the new UI there.

Boooooooo!

Give us dinosaurs & former Corral users the old GUI back. It might be ugly, but I very much prefer it to the pretty, inefficient thing that is the new GUI. I don't need pretty graphics where I could have useful information. It's like Hubbard wasn't ever actually run out of town!

Looks like I'll roll back to 11.2. How long will that branch be supported?

-Will

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

Any chance you could throw in some verbiage about the zfs feature flags I'm getting alerted about in 11.3?

I'm planning to revert due to the lack of the old GUI so I haven't updated yet (mostly due to lack of docs) but I am curious about what's new & I think others who update ought to have this available.

-Will

Oriann

Explorer
Boooooooo!

Give us dinosaurs & former Corral users the old GUI back. It might be ugly, but I very much prefer it to the pretty, inefficient thing that is the new GUI. I don't need pretty graphics where I could have useful information. It's like Hubbard wasn't ever actually run out of town!

-Will
Man, how can you even move in legacy UI, I was frustrated everytime when I need to find something

TiboTake

Dabbler
Under the update, my Plex is no longer running. I deleted the jail and tried to reinstall Plex. However, if I want to add an extension or a jail I get various error messages. Is there any way to continue using Plex? A decline to 11.2 U6 brought no improvement

Scareh

Contributor
not sure this is the right spot, but since it's in the patch notes for 11.3 beta:

Support for collecting daily anonymous usage statistics has been added. Collected non-identifying data includes hardware information such as CPU type, number and size of disks, and configured NIC types as well as an indication of which services, types of shares, and Plugins are configured. The collected data will assist in determining where to best focus engineering and testing efforts. Collection is enabled by default. To opt-out, unset System ➞ General ➞ Usage collection

isn't that in direct violation of the European GDPR act? By default it should be opt out with an option to opt in.

ThreeDee

Guru
Under the update, my Plex is no longer running. I deleted the jail and tried to reinstall Plex. However, if I want to add an extension or a jail I get various error messages. Is there any way to continue using Plex? A decline to 11.2 U6 brought no improvement
updating to 11.3 Beta hosed all my jails (Plex,UniFi Controller,Tautulli). Initially I couldn't reinstall any plugins because I'd get some error with UniFi in the error message .. even trying to install Plex..

I ended up nuking my 2 iocage datasets (not sure why there were 2) and then Plex and UniFi installed without a hitch .. Tautulli gives a permission error though so If I reinstall it, I'll try from scratch instead of the plug in when I get time

..but Plex and Unifi are working great

Oriann

Explorer
Guys, serious question here...

I got now up and running 11.3 beta 1 BUT how to update jails that are still 11.2-patchlevel whatever?
when using pkg update it shows me now kernel mismatch and ask me if I want to IGNORE_OSVVERSION=yes

Found command iocage upgrade -r 11.3-RELEASE jailname, made snapshot for sure and after jails migration to newer version I cannot do iocage console jail1 anymore because no login is valid and therefore no password too. Does this command works or it is broken ? Or does somebody worked out this ? Only functional command to get into jail is jexec 9 tcsh but after entering iocage it show this:

unknown@jailname:/ #

And no command works as expected or with errors.
Here are the docs from where I have used info and code: https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-use.html
Upgrading Jails
Upgrades are handled with the freebsd-update(8) utility. By default, the user must supply the new RELEASE for the jail’s upgrade. For example:
# iocage upgrade examplejail -r 11.0-RELEASE
Tells jail examplejail to upgrade its RELEASE to 11.0-RELEASE.
Note
It is recommended to keep the iocage host and jails RELEASE synchronized.
To upgrade a jail to the host’s RELEASE, run:
iocage upgrade -r [11.1-RELEASE] [UUID | NAME]
This upgrades the jail to the same RELEASE as the host. This method also applies to basejails.

EDIT: Solved here > https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-1-how-to-update-jails-to-11-3-release.80147/

Last edited:

seanm

Guru
Well, no, that's not what I said

Sorry if my wording was confusing. I was saying you said 'staying patched is not a magic fix'. The second part about 'but it is a necessary minimum' was me stating my view.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Man, how can you even move in legacy UI, I was frustrated everytime when I need to find something

I've been using FreeNAS so long ZFS wasn't even an option when I started, just UFS. So I'm a bit used to the old GUI.

-Will

ThreeDee

Guru
I've been using FreeNAS so long ZFS wasn't even an option when I started, just UFS. So I'm a bit used to the old GUI.

-Will
I didn't like the new UI at first either .. but it has grown on me and I'd have a hard time going back now

Yorick

Wizard
Hi guys,

Any chance you could throw in some verbiage about the zfs feature flags I'm getting alerted about in 11.3?

spacemap_v2 was added in FreeBSD 11.3. At one point this made an upgrade to 12.0 impossible because 12.0 did not support that feature flag, but according to the openzfs matrix it now does - not sure what to believe there. I’ll probably leave the flag off for now out of an abundance of caution.

appliance

Explorer
old GUI which i saw once to show the kids how past looked like would make me uninstall freenas as fast as xigmanas :eek: without even looking. cant really stand degeneracy. good system should look good. i find this UI 100x better than openmediavault a.k.a. "no dependencies checked" "wait for apply changes popup" "lets just restart everything everytime, give me 30seconds to process my salt scripts" "'software failure', blink blink, log in again!" "communication error" "error error .. error" in terms of robustness and visual detail, im sure old system is no longer that good as time is not invested in the dinosaur. however i like openmediavault's (which will switch to freenas-like UI next year) left menu fully expanded - quicker to access.

System\General: can't change ports (it will listen on new ports but will strictly redirect to 443), can't effectively disable redirection (=>certbot fail), can't choose certificate. Deleted default certificate and still is being offered after nginx restart. Oh wait, it's not deleted at all and not even changed in nginx.conf. Anyways, i keep the default one, now invisible in UI, as it throws least popups out of three:
1) preinstalled certificate: Chrome and Firefox loves it, vanilla legacy browser 1 warning because of "issued to<>hostname"
2) created local certificate: Chrome panics, and vanilla browser hates it each time with 2 popups, won't tolerate fake CA
3) Letsencrypt certificate: locally unusable as it's not possible to assign local hostnames, externally unusable due to port redirection (just testing)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Just installed 11.3B1 on a test VM--did I see a middleware.plugin.acme flash by on boot? That could be interesting...

Edit: Looks like I did, and it supports DNS validation for Let's Encrypt certificates--though only with Route53 and Hover DNS. It'll be interesting to see where this goes--it would definitely be nice to see it support more DNS hosts.

Last edited:

malco_2001

Dabbler
@Kris Moore As a professional programmer myself, this got me wondering... have you worked to automate some of this? I'm not familiar with samba development at all, but it seems they do have a build & test infrastructure:

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I don't see any FreeBSD bots there. Setting that up could help catch problems earlier.

Performance testing in a VM is not the same as performance testing at scale. This alone would not solve much.

seanm

Guru
Performance testing in a VM is not the same as performance testing at scale. This alone would not solve much.

I wasn't referring to performance testing, more to correctness testing. Is it better for samba's test suite to run regularily on FreeBSD, or not? (Maybe it does, but I couldn't find it.)

emk2203

Guru
Upgrading a jail to 11.3-RELEASE errors with template not found in git, also pretends to rollback after the upgrade, but really doesn't. Upgrade went through without issues. Transmission jail is now on 11.3-RELEASE, runs well.<head scratching>

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Well, some of us spent thousands of dollars buying systems from iX.

I'm still pretty happy with having done so, but I've now given up on the idea of running jails on it, which was one of the cool things that attracted me to the product. Instead I'll have to run VMs, which is a bit more overhead, but the only way to run anything public-facing safely it seems. @jgreco is right that staying patched is not a magic fix, but it is a necessary minimum.
In 11.3 we will probably skip some security releases for samba because we are no longer compiling with the domain controller role. This means that pkg audit will report that we're vulnerable to something in samba from time to time. Likewise, when Samba 4.9 goes EOL upstream, I will continue to backport security fixes for FreeNAS until we FreeNAS 11.2 itself goes EOL, and pkg audit will probably also complain about that as well.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I wasn't referring to performance testing, more to correctness testing. Is it better for samba's test suite to run regularily on FreeBSD, or not? (Maybe it does, but I couldn't find it.)
I run the upstream test suite against our samba branch. The real issues are exposed when tested at scale under load (which we do as well - this more often than not ends up delaying releases).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sorry if my wording was confusing. I was saying you said 'staying patched is not a magic fix'. The second part about 'but it is a necessary minimum' was me stating my view.

Correct, and I'm saying that it's not a "necessary minimum". It's absolutely recommended for your average FreeBSD install, but you can secure your system in more comprehensive ways, at which point patching "vulnerabilities" that have effectively no path to being exploited becomes merely a pointless ball and chain exercise in wasting time.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Boooooooo!

-Will

Sorry, no can do. The old UI is tied directly into the v1.0 API which is getting fully retired in 12.0. Maintaining two UIs for the 11.2 branch was already painful since it effectively doubled the surface area we had to QA. The 11.3 UI is a big improvement over 11.2, and we'll be continuing to improve it in 12 and beyond, so if you have specific things that need fixes please let us know.