SuperMicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnn

Explorer
Doesn't the C1 / C2 thing refer to Z87 chipset?? These boards use a whole new chipset.

Also mirror the thoughts on sleepmode/usb3, BOTH of which you are unlikely to make use of in FreeNAS.

In fact I am quite happy about the bug, because it allowed me to score my high end Z87-UD4H board for $50 on my main rig. :-D

Okey Grak

Cadet
I have also confirmed that the serial number of the drive 0 in the LSI controller does not show up on boot. However, if I hot-swap the drive and reinsert, the serial number will show up.

jyavenard

Patron
I have also confirmed that the serial number of the drive 0 in the LSI controller does not show up on boot. However, if I hot-swap the drive and reinsert, the serial number will show up.

Is that with the LSI flashed with the HBA firmware?
Can you see the smart value?

If using smartctl does is show the serial number there?

jyavenard

Patron
Flashed the LSI card in IT mode.
Pleased to confirm that smart works perfectly fine for this card for all attributes and serial number. Haven't tested using the default IR (raid) firmware...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
WOOT! Thanks for reporting back! I just noticed you live 30 mins from me. I actually think I've seen you at the Wal-Mart near you before. I never forget a face.

jyavenard

Patron
WOOT! Thanks for reporting back! I just noticed you live 30 mins from me. I actually think I've seen you at the Wal-Mart near you before. I never forget a face.

That's very unlikely :p
I live in Melbourne Australia and we don't have walmart here :)

----
Some notes for the users of this board, hopefully this will help others.

To flash the LSI 2308 into IT mode I used the following firmware:
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/

First you need to get the LSI SAS address.
Restart the board; when you see the LSI prompt: "LSI Corporation ... "
Press Control-C on the keyboard (I did it all via IPMI), press Ctrl-C successively until you see "starting configuration utility" because it's quite easy to miss

Once you're in there, press Enter this will show the SAS address
it looks like:

500304800:70a8b00

You need the last 9 digits: so here that would be: 0070a8b00

The DOS instructions do *NOT* work on this board, you must use the UEFI method.
I disconnected all the disks connected to the LSI out of habit for any flashing. Not sure that's required, but I did it just to be safe.

Format a USB stick in FAT32; copy the content of the UEFI folder unto it
The restart the X10SL7-F, press F11 when prompted and select the built-in UEFI option.

Once you're on the UEFI prompt, mount the disk. The list of available disk volume will be shown on the screen:
for me it was fs1, so mount it:

mount fs1:

Then I selected that device:

follow the instruction in the SMC2308IT_FW_Flash_Instruction_091012 file:

run SMC2308T.nsh (if you've copied the UEFI folder and not its content from the archive above, do
first)

SMC2308T.nsh

The goes on for a little while, and right at the end you're prompted for the 9 digits, enter them and press ENTER.

Reboot... that's it... the card is in IT mode now.
----

XHCI had to be disabled otherwise FreeNAS wouldn't boot, it refused to mount the root partition, this is done in the BIOS:
Advanced -> PCH-IO Configuration. XHCI Mode has to be set to Disabled

Note to anyone: Do *NOT* enable the watchdog, that only makes your machine reboot after 5 minutes, I had set it without realising and I thought I had a faulty boards for a short while...

I have plenty more questions about FreeNAS, but they aren't specific to this board, so will open another thread. They set the zfs volume differently to what I'm use to simply using the command line...
need to do some benchmarks too...

otherwise so far so good

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I guess not. I saw your city/state as being near me. /shrug

jyavenard

Patron
Tested using the 2nd X10SL7-F; with still the original IR firmware...
Smart works just the same.

I can't distinguish the output between the IT and IR firmware.
Even looking at dmesg and the various messages related to the drive attached on each board; the values are identical (other than the serial number of course)

wondering if there's even a reason to use the IT firmware now....

Sir.Robin

Guru
Finally got my 2x8GB Kingston sticks. Let the playtime begin :p

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Tested using the 2nd X10SL7-F; with still the original IR firmware...
Smart works just the same.

I can't distinguish the output between the IT and IR firmware.

Performance may be better with the IT firmware. Would be an interesting test.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

That would be interesting. Especially if performance changes significantly between the two. But considering it says "SW Raid 0, 1, and 10" on the website I'm thinking performance will be the same since it sounds like some kind of hybrid software RAID.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm just judging based on the M1015 where the IR is somewhat slower.

jyavenard

Patron

I already flashed the two boards with the IT firmware... Like I mentioned in the LSI thread, it had been my experience with LSI that if you install the drives as-is, without playing with the raid utility, it leaves the disks intact and it can be used with other sata controller.

Already spent a full day running the intel nas test kit with various raid configuration (60, 0, 5, 50, 6, single zfs, single ufs)... I was surprised that the one with gave me the lowest score was the stripe on 12 disks...
It takes so long to run one test, I just couldn't be bothered anymore...

My last test is going to compare freenas and Ubuntu using the latest zfs drivers...

What do you guys use for benchmarking?
I've been pretty disappointed so far with the performance quite frankly, none if the intel tests seem to saturate the gigabit link..

Thanks for posting a detailed Performance testing that did with your new NAS. I read your blog and found interesting results.
I built similar NAS for running my home lab. The VMs I use are built for practising virtualisation technology. They are not much business critical so losing them will cost me time to build them but no business impact.
I performed Intel NASpT using a XP virtual machine running from another desktop system. Found the Gigabit Ports peaked up to 550 Mbps the maximum.
I am rerunning the tests using Seagate NAS drives and will publish the results in my blog.
I presume the weakest link in the NAS chain is Mechanical drives so irrespective of the board/HDD types/Processor (Intel or AMD) the network utilisation is not going to be peaked anytime.
This Home brew NAS some time back when Haswell motherboards were not available hence went with AMD based solution which was offering 8 SATA ports (8 x 6 Gbps). I am running this from my Living room. Noise level of this NAS is not much distressing one.

Mother Board: Gigabyte - GA-F2A85xm-D3H
Processor: AMD A6-5400K (with Stack cooler)
Memory: G.Skill - 1333 MHz XL F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL8GB x 2 + Kingston 4GB x 2
HDD: WD Red - 2TB x 3 + Segate NAS 2 TB x 3
SSD: SanDisk - 60 GB x 2 (1 SSD as ZIL and 1 as Reach cache)
NIC: Realtek On-board – NAS Management. HP PCIe - 4 Ports x 1
Case: Cooler Master - HAF 912 - 6 x 3.5" + 4 x 3.5" (using 5.25” to 3.5” brackets) + 2 x 2.5" Drive bays
Fan: Cooler Master 120 MM x 4
NAS OS: FreeNas-9.1.1 (a752d35)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - 460 W - 4 Native SATA Ports + 4 x 2 SATA using Molex to SATA Converters.

Another Note:

I tried to test FreeNAS in another system which is running with i7-4770 Haswell Processor in GA-Z87M-D3H. I am getting Hdd ticking issues (Head parking or similar kind of noice) for whatever disk/cable I connect to on board SATA controllers. Is there any known issue with Lynx Point AHCI controller?

jyavenard

Patron
I performed Intel NASpT using a XP virtual machine running from another desktop system. Found the Gigabit Ports peaked up to 550 Mbps the maximum.
I am rerunning the tests using Seagate NAS drives and will publish the results in my blog.
I presume the weakest link in the NAS chain is Mechanical drives so irrespective of the board/HDD types/Processor (Intel or AMD) the network utilisation is not going to be peaked anytime.

that's how I ran my Intel NASPT at first, but like you I got pretty crappy network result. So I used an actual windows 7 box. I had to limit the amount of memory to win7 to 2GB; otherwise intel results were completely screwed due to windows caching.

Local speed write and read is well over gigabit speed (I get close to 300MB/s physical read/write on that box with RED drives). So the bottleneck isn't the drives there but in the network/samba combo...

Also, in your setup, the realtek does a lot of its works in the driver itself so it has a hit on CPU usage where intel/3com,broadcom don't. That too would have an impact on your transfer speed.
JY

Charlie

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm looking at this board for a while now and have a question about the SAS connections. Would it be possible to use a reverse break out cable and connect them to a SAS expander? So I'm not limited to 8 connections :p

crumbz

Explorer
Yeah i already found that, so that would make it possible to use a reverse cable?

Someone other than me might be able to give you a more definitive answer (someone working for Supermicro perhaps?). I'm just guessing that the only way to get a 1,000 connected devices was through some kind of expander.

Dmitry

Cadet
What is this C1 vs C2 thing? Whats wrong?

Hi Robin!
What performance Read/Write (PC to NAS without switches or something in between) you get on your x10sl7 and E3-1220 configuration?
I have plan to build similar configuration.
I see you use Samsung 840-Pro 256GB ssd drive. Do you use it for OS?

Thank you!
B.R.
Dmitry

Status
Not open for further replies.