SuperMicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREAKJAM

Dabbler
Robin,

Mind posting your full hardware setup specs using this board? Im currently looking for a new build, and I also want to use this board + 1230v3 in my setup.

Thanks.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Sure:
X10SL7-F, E3-1220v3, 8GB Kingston ECC, 6x Hitachi 1TB HDD's, WD N1x SSD, Sandisk Cruzer fit, Corsair HX650-v2.

Will upgrade memory to 16GB.

FREAKJAM

Dabbler
Thanks. Are u using the WD N1X to store your VM's on, since u are using ESXi? Do u use ZIL/L2ARC?
I kinda want to use the same setup, but I want to go for 3x4TB with 16GB ECC memory in a RAIDZ1 setup.
Not sure if 3x4TB is a really smart setup, since it's 3 drives only. Using 3 disks only will make the setup more efficient cause of the lower amount of watt's being used, but that's basically the only true benefit I think.

Not sure if that's the way to go, im totally new to FreeNAS, and this board really looks promising :)

Sir.Robin

Guru
HDD's does not consume much wattage... so i wouldn't worry bout that.
In my eyes, 3x 4TB in RaidZ1 is high risk.

If you buy a good mobo/cpu/ram combo... you should not settle with a bad (sucky ;) ) disk array.

Buy more drives with lesser capasity and your spenign won't be much higher if any :)

That said, i am currently using the N1x for the FreeNAS VM. Testing. It's a bit small... so i need something bigger if i wan't more VM's (wich is my intention).
I also need more RAM.

I do not use ZIL/L2ARC because that adds complexity and risk without bringing any performance to the table since i am basically using this myself alone... except for girlie looking at photos occasionally :)

Sir.Robin

Guru
So vSphere 5.5 on Sandisk USB stick. Internal USB3.
WD N1x SSD for VM on Intel PCH port.

FreeNAS VM made, installed and config uploaded. Disks connected to onboard LSI controller. LSI in passthrough.

Status is OK. Running scrub... :)

No issues so far... except for sucky BIOS update thingy.

FREAKJAM

Dabbler
Are u using the LSI2308 to passthrough your harddisks to FreeNAS or are u using the AHCI controller? (Hearing rumours that AHCI should be able to passthrough to ESXi in version 5.5).
Thanks for the quick replies.

edit:
U just beat me to it haha! What kinda cables do u use to connect the sata harddrives to the LSI? Just plain sata cables? Let's check what hdd's are good to use. 6x2TB seems better indeed, since RAIDZ2 is a way safer setup.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I got some new Delock SATA 3 cables with a sideways angle :D

FREAKJAM

Dabbler
Ah thanks. Bad luck, my new case that I will be using can only hold up to 5 3.5" drives. :(

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
What about 5.25 bays? You can use these for HDD too :eek:

Sir.Robin

Guru
Got a problem with my N1x SSD. I keep loosing contact with it.
Cold boot = fine.
Restart = Ghone from BIOS.

Changed power cable and SATA cable. Same issue.
Change port from Port4 SATA2 to Port0 SATA3. Same issue.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Seems to me it is a compatibility issue :(

Sir.Robin

Guru
No, not AND. Its only RAID. Haven't tested though running my FreeNAS as a VM now... guess i will have to test.

74m

Explorer
Hmm, thats strange. Because i already asked the SM support, but i couldnt believe their answer:

me said:
Hi,
i have a question about your legend at this page: http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C224.cfm
In the legend you say:
"M. SATA (without RAID, AHCI mode)"
Does this mean, SATA will work without RAID AND without AHCI mode, or just without Raid, but in regular AHCI mode?

Answer from SM:
SM Support said:
Hi,

It mean the OS can install under IDE legacy mode without Raid or AHCI mode.

Thank you
DL
:confused: ?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Wtf... that would suck. I will test soon. No time tonight.

Can confirm that there is an compatibility problem with WesternDigitals N1x SSD and the X10Sl7 though.
I have now connected one of my Samsung 840-Pro drives and have no issues.

74m

Explorer
Yes, it would be nice, if you could do a quick test. I just realized that for many X9 1155 Boards there is the same info at the SM webpage.
What would be the cons of ide mode? (I dont need hotswapping...)
Does the ahci/ide setting just affects the usual sata ports or even the LSI?

Okey Grak

Cadet
I just built a box with this motherboard and a Xeon E3-1230V3. Unfortunately I can't get the CPU scaling to work, and it's pegged at 3300mhz. Has anyone been able to get the CPU scaling to work properly?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Have you flashed the bios to 1.1?
I noticed my 1220 was reportedly at 3300 in the 1.06 bios when i got the board. After flash its 3100.

Dunno if that was the reality though as i just saw it in the bios and i flashed right after installing esxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Okey Grak

Cadet
I upgraded to BIOS v1.10. When you enable powerd, do you see the xeon properly scaling down, or is it always at 3300/3100?

Sir.Robin

Guru
I got ESXi on it now... it says 3.1GHz.

Gonna test with FreeNAS 9.1.1

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yes, it would be nice, if you could do a quick test. I just realized that for many X9 1155 Boards there is the same info at the SM webpage.
What would be the cons of ide mode? (I dont need hotswapping...)
Does the ahci/ide setting just affects the usual sata ports or even the LSI?

So i have now booted with FreeNAS 9.1.1 on my X10SL7 and one disk connected to internal port SATA:0
XHCI: disabled (disables USB3)
AHCI: Enabled
UEFI boot: Disabled

Disk shows up and i have created a volume and made a share. Transferred a file without issues.

So AHCI does work with internal ports and FreeNAS 9.1.1 on this mobo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.