SuperMicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryM

Cadet
Any of you guys looked at this MB yet?

I'm planning a couple builds for this fall/winter and this guy has a very nice compliment of on-board ports.

NewEgg currently has a promo where you can save $50 when bundled with cpu (looking at E3-1270v3).

I've been lurking for several weeks just soaking it all in; I'll spin-up a thread soon with my build plans.

Build 1 - FreeNAS test mule (likely with X10SL7-F MB) - will become Backup Host.
Build 2 - FreeNAS

Larry

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, the series 10's are interesting boards but we're waiting for some sucker to buy one and confirm driver compatibility (particularly of ethernets). I expect that they will be favored boards once it is confirmed the ethernets are supported.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
LOL! Some sucker eh? I like that one...

vegaman

Explorer
I've ordered one of these motherboards. Hopefully it's not too far away.
I still have to get a CPU and RAM for it before I can test and verify if it's working with FreeNAS though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

IanWorthington

Contributor
I'm ordering one for another project, but need something for a FreeNAS too. So if there was an easy way of testing if it works properly, I could do that.

@vegaman: You may already know but the SAS/SATA ports come with IR firmware, flashable to IT.

Still trying to find out how I tell the difference between c1 and c2 steppings pre-purchase as well.

vegaman

Explorer
@IanWorthington, yeah the ability to flash to IT firmware was one of the things I checked before ordering it. I'll be using it along with an M1015 with IT firmware as well.
I'm not sure how to tell c1 and c2 steppings apart, I guess you could email SuperMicro. Since it's a server I'm not too concerned about it anyway - I will be booting it off a USB3 flash drive, but I don't plan on sleeping the server.

IanWorthington

Contributor
If you get a power outage you'll want to hibernate the box won't you? Not 100% sure but won't that need the usb3 problem fixed?

vegaman

Explorer
I'll be using a UPS to power the box down if the power goes out. I don't mind waiting for it to boot back up if it means my data is safe.

vegaman

Explorer
That would depend on your UPS. But unless your batteries are old or you're using too small a UPS it should give you at least 5 minutes at full load - and shutting down shouldn't be full load.

IanWorthington

Contributor
Cooling on SM's boards. They don't consider the C1 stepping a fault and so will not accept RMAs on it. And have been unable to tell me how to differentiate in the seller channel which is which. Not sure if to stick with IB or find a more responsible manufacturer at this point.

NachoMan77

Dabbler
C1 is not a big deal. I've got one. As a last resort you could always boot from a USB 2.0 port. And even you can get a internal Type A adapter for one of the various USB 2.0 internal headers.

IanWorthington

Contributor
Yeah maybe. But it restricts my options. And SM have been acting like a bunch of assholes about this so I'm disinclined to give them my business, or that of my company, for a bunch of their shiny new x10 boards.

FYI, this is how they suggest how to pick out a C2 stepping board:

The board serial number has year and month manufactured information after
first two letters.

For example, ZM 137S99999

That means board has been manufactured on July 2013.

If you get a board for September or later, then it should be using C2 chipset.

To be 100% certain, you would have to check with CPU-Z or in BIOS after powering up board though.

ie, don't buy it from an etailer. Or a b&m retailer who won't let you check the s/n beforehand.

So as SM have made it so the etailors can't tell what they're selling (unlike ASROCK and ASUS btw, kudos to them) if I get sent the defective c1 stepping can I rma it to get the corrected c2?

C1 is not a defective product. It’s an official product release from Intel.
You can read the official documentation from Intel regarding C1 to C2 PCH change.

For any other questions regarding change, please continue Intel.

No, customers can not RMA C1 for C2 board if the only reason is because it’s a C1
board and not C2 in accordance to what Intel has already publicized.

Not a defective product, my fat hairy arse. Yeah that would be why Intel rushed off and corrected it.

Must admit I expected SM to be a bit more professional. C'est la vie.

i

vegaman

Explorer
Yeah Intel fixed it but they still released C1, so you can't expect manufacturers to eat the losses instead of Intel.
As I said before as well, I think it's not really a big deal for server products. They don't seem like they're being assholes to me - they likely assessed it like I did so they're not going to bother with a new revision or anything, just start using the new chips once they run out of the old.
I guess it's because of their target market, the majority of which won't care about this.

IanWorthington

Contributor
Naw, don't expect anyone to eat the costs of yet another Intel cockup. But if ASROCK and ASUS can find an easy way to let the punters know what they're buying then it ill behoves a company to go all whiny pants and push back on everyone else ("Ask the retailer!", "Ask Intel!").

Personal preference maybe, but I prefer dealing with companies which like to own the problem. If there are any left these days. :)

i

(Just as a note, in the UK there's a legal right to return anything ordered sight unseen for any reason, so assuming the s/n is on the outside of the box, c1 steppings can be easily rejected there.)

vegaman

Explorer
I'll have to check my box when I get home. It's a generic box but I think it had a sticker with the model number, might have the serial on there too.

Posttime

Cadet
Hello everyone. I am new here after a couple of weeks lurking round. I am looking forward to learning from all of the Gurus here. With that done I have been in contact with SM support here in North America and confirm that they will in fact RMA C1 Stepping boards for a C2 board. So you will need to pay for shipping, however if you do not wish to wait another few weeks to allow more C2 boards to work into the wild an improve your chances of a C2 board.

cleardot.gif

Hi D,

I have checked with RMA and was told you can RMA C1 for C2 board.
Regards,
FH
Technical Support
Supermicro

Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 10:45 AM
To: Technical Support
Subject: Re: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLH-F-O c2 stepping [FH]

I need to confirm that you are in fact doing RMA's for C1 Stepping boards where the only issue is the C1 Stepping. I have read in two seperate forums now that Supermicro does not consider a C1 stepping board to be valid RMA consideration. Please confirm as I would like to order a board today.
On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Technical Support <Support@supermicro.com> wrote:
Hi D,

The C1-C2 transition was done approximately a month ago. All of our newly manufactured boards are of C2 stepping. You can order online from reseller and send us the serial number to confirm. If you get a C1 stepping board, you can request RMA to replace with a C2 stepping board.

Regards,

FH
Technical Support
Supermicro

IanWorthington

Contributor
That's great news! Albeit that its in direct contradiction to my own communications with SM.

Who to believe, Tech Support 1 or Tech Support 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.