Supermicro X10SL7-F Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les Garten

Dabbler
I am starting a FreeNAS Server build from some of the great info I've found here.

It is a X10SL7-F board and 12 2TB disks booting from a 64GB SATADOM.

I've just got thr board and drives up today. I flashed the LSI controller to IT mode. The SATA cables that came with the board are 24" long. If I build a RAID Z3 dataset zpool and wish to change the cables out later to shorter cables, must I get them all back on the exact same ports? I know if this was RAID in IR mode I would need to, but unsure about FreeNAS, ZFS, and IT mode?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
No, FreeNAS doesn't care about which port is used. You can even change everything but the drives and still have no problem ;)

Les Garten

Dabbler
No, FreeNAS doesn't care about which port is used. You can even change everything but the drives and still have no problem ;)
Wow, wasn't sure but thought I would ask.

So if say a Motherboard went out, you can swap it out and not worry about which drive was on SATA 1 or SATA 2 , etc? Or even match the Motherboard up with an identical one?

I'm kinda glad I transitioned over from my Areca card...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Wow, wasn't sure but thought I would ask.

So if say a Motherboard went out, you can swap it out and not worry about which drive was on SATA 1 or SATA 2 , etc? Or even match the Motherboard up with an identical one?

I'm kinda glad I transitioned over from my Areca card...
Correct, position doesn't matter the id is read from the disk and that controls the order.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Or even match the Motherboard up with an identical one?
Right. The disks are all uniquely identified.

Many people have moved to new servers by just moving all the hard drives plus the boot drive(s) and went on their merry ways, minus the occasional network config.

Status
Not open for further replies.