SuperMicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir.Robin

Guru
1Gbit link. Intel CT NIC on my puter. Read and write sequential (ISO file) gives me about 100MB/s. 85-90% utilization on my 1Gbit link. HP switch between.

I run ESXi on my X10SL7. For now the 840-Pro is a VM datastore. Might get another for a mirror, but really no biggie if it dies. :)

crumbz

Explorer
Can anyone confirm if xhci_load=yes (USB 3.0) works with this board in FreeNAS 9.2.1?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Can anyone confirm if xhci_load=yes (USB 3.0) works with this board in FreeNAS 9.2.1?

Errh... should it work? It didn't on 9.1.1.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Pretty sure there ainght any usb driver difference between 9.1. And 9.2.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

indy

Patron
Is there a way to enable the deeper sleep states of the cpu?
Seems like only C1 or C2 are enabled by default.
C3 or even C6/7 might save some energy while idle.

FREAKJAM

Dabbler
Finally got my server up and running with the latest FreeNAS and ESXi and this motherboard. I have 32GB of ram in my motherboard, and using 16GB for my FreeNAS VM.

Some benchmarks if anyone is interested:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1M count=128000           
128000+0 records in                                                         
128000+0 records out                                                         
134217728000 bytes transferred in 4.099205 secs (32742379910 bytes/sec) 

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=test.bin bs=1M count=50000     
50000+0 records in                                                             
50000+0 records out                                                           
52428800000 bytes transferred in 12.667484 secs (4138848710 bytes/sec)

Code:
dd if=test.bin of=/dev/null bs=1M                 
50000+0 records in                                                             
50000+0 records out                                                           
52428800000 bytes transferred in 5.091876 secs (10296558614 bytes/sec

eaoz.png

cyberjock

Inactive Account

crumbz

Explorer
I want to max out the amount of RAM this motherboard can take.

I already have 2x Kingston KTH-PL313E/8G sticks. I want to complement with this kit of 2 x 8 GB sticks from Kingston: KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Or should I stick with four identical sticks?

Sir.Robin

Guru
On a general basis it is recommended to run same brand, type and model/spec of RAM i any system. Never mix.

If you do mix brand/model you will have to be sure that no sticks run out of spec and that they are of same type.
However, doing so will not ensure system stability. Although it's often not a problem.

In your case, the KTH-PL313E/8G are system spesific sticks for a HP/Compaq and are "ECC unbuffered" sticks/modules.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/s...roLiant_HP/Compaq_-_ProLiant_DL380e_Gen8_(G8)

crumbz

Explorer
KTH-PL313E/8G is what I have on my X10SL7-F at the moment, so I know these work. I don't know if they are optimal, but they work.

But I want to add KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G to the mix (or not, depending on the information I can gather).

Sir.Robin

Guru
ref my previous post. That said, i think it will work.

Z300M

Guru
I want to max out the amount of RAM this motherboard can take.

I already have 2x Kingston KTH-PL313E/8G sticks. I want to complement with this kit of 2 x 8 GB sticks from Kingston: KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Or should I stick with four identical sticks?
Neither of those was on Kingston's list of recommendations for that motherboard, and now they do not show any 8GB modules at all for that motherboard because there have been reports of ECC errors when using four sticks -- not yet determined whether it's a motherboard problem or a RAM problem. I think it would be a good idea to check with Kingston and see what they say.

indy

Patron
@cyberjock
Seems like that bug was more aimed at sysctls behavior than the energy-saving functions of the CPU themselves.
Does FreeBSD in general not support deeper sleep states or is this a conscious decision by the FreeNAS developers?

Is IPMI lan-port sharing working for you guys?
When I use the shared port the KVM hangs during (re-)boot making me miss the BIOS and boot option prompts.
Also the connection does not seem as stable in general.
The dedicated port works fine though.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Neither of those was on Kingston's list of recommendations for that motherboard, and now they do not show any 8GB modules at all for that motherboard because there have been reports of ECC errors when using four sticks -- not yet determined whether it's a motherboard problem or a RAM problem. I think it would be a good idea to check with Kingston and see what they say.

Yeah, so i checked with Kingston and what they had to say were:

With regards to your query, we have checked again our Data Base.
Unfortunately, we do not manufacture any module with 8GB for the Supermicro X10SL7-F Motherboard.
Sorry for my previous email, we may had in the past 8GB modules, but we no longer manufacture them.
We would like to help you, but in this case we can only offer you modules with 4GB.
We are really sorry that we have been unable to help you this time.

What a load of crap. :mad:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@cyberjock
Seems like that bug was more aimed at sysctls behavior than the energy-saving functions of the CPU themselves.
Does FreeBSD in general not support deeper sleep states or is this a conscious decision by the FreeNAS developers?

If you change the state to C2 I know that it works on a friend's machine. I can't test it because of how my hardware is setup.

Z300M

Guru
Yeah, so i checked with Kingston and what they had to say were:

With regards to your query, we have checked again our Data Base.
Unfortunately, we do not manufacture any module with 8GB for the Supermicro X10SL7-F Motherboard.
Sorry for my previous email, we may had in the past 8GB modules, but we no longer manufacture them.
We would like to help you, but in this case we can only offer you modules with 4GB.
We are really sorry that we have been unable to help you this time.

What a load of crap. :mad:
Are you planning to try for a refund of your purchase price for the Kingston RAM? The Tech Support guy had told me that they would refund my money if I had a problem. I haven't found a problem so far with just the two sticks of KVR16E11/8EF I bought, but if I want to upgrade to 32GB in the future and they are not going to be making a matching pair, I think that it makes sense to be rid of these current two now. The Supermicro-recommended Hynix and Samsung RAM modules are cheaper than the Kingston in some places anyway. Even sending them back to NewEgg and "eating" the 15% restocking fee -- if it came to that -- might not be so bad

vlad1966

Dabbler
Looks like most of you with this board are using Xeons.
What kind of Heatsink/Fan are you using?

Sir.Robin

Guru
Are you planning to try for a refund of your purchase price for the Kingston RAM? The Tech Support guy had told me that they would refund my money if I had a problem. I haven't found a problem so far with just the two sticks of KVR16E11/8EF I bought, but if I want to upgrade to 32GB in the future and they are not going to be making a matching pair, I think that it makes sense to be rid of these current two now. The Supermicro-recommended Hynix and Samsung RAM modules are cheaper than the Kingston in some places anyway. Even sending them back to NewEgg and "eating" the 15% restocking fee -- if it came to that -- might not be so bad

Nah... didn't get any sencible answer or explanation. Even told about other guys in the forum. Just bollocks answer. Sorry sorry etc.
They even claimed first that theyve NEVER had 8GB sticks for it. Ffs... Kingston: You've really lost a bucket of stars in my book. :(

I'll sell them and get something else i guess.... but not yet. When i'm ready for 4x8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.