No IP Address

P0PC47

Dabbler
Hi,

My name is Curtis. I'm very new to the FreeNAS software and have successfully installed FreeNAS with no IP address. The computer does in fact show up on my network with an IP address although FreeNAS does not give me one. When I type in the IP address in chrome I get "This site can't be reached (IP Address) took to long to load" please excuse my ignorance as I am new to this software.

Thanks!

Computer Enthusiast,
-Curtis Voll

and have successfully installed FreeNAS with no IP address
Not strictly true. FreeNAS would have been assigned an IP address from your DHCP server (usually your internet gateway).

The computer does in fact show up on my network with an IP address although FreeNAS does not give me one.
If you connect a monitor to the computer, you should see the console menu, which includes the IP address assigned to FreeNAS. Confirm that you have this.

screenshot.336.png

Finally, for forum members to assist you effectively, you should include details of your hardware in your next post. Better still, include this in your signature block. Refer to the Forum Rules https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-rules.45124/ under the heading Posting to get a Response for the sort of information you should be including.

P0PC47

Dabbler
This is more of an experiment rather than an actual deployment of a home server, so please excuse the bad hardware.

CPU: Some sort of AMD Athlon 2 core 4 thread cpu
RAM: 16GB 1*8 + 2*4
GPU: Integrated graphics 512MB
Boot drive: 500GB seagate hdd (soon to be a crucial 128GB ssd)
Raid drives (for testing): 2*1TB WD Green

I had a monitor hooked up in the first place and that's how I came to see that there was no assigned IP for FreeNAS. I have tried multiple ethernet cables and multiple ports on the router with no luck. I do however have an ethernet card I can try, athough I won't be able to access the computer until monday 6PM due to divorced parents.

Thanks!

-Curtis

P.S. I'm 13 so I'm not the greatest when it comes to things like this. This is sort of a side project I've had for a while as pc building is my hobby.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Welcome, Curtis!

Since you have a monitor and keyboard, you should be able to navigate the configuration menu to assign FreeNAS the same IP that you see on the network. Just be sure that the IP you see matches the network card's MAC address.