SOLVED FreeNAS lost its static IP address while running

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepoluan

Cadet
Hello, people! I've tried searching for something similar to my problem, but most of them are related to DHCP, which I am not using.

Here's my problem:

I've installed FreeNAS and configured a static IP address for it via the console. Then, I exposed its storage as an iSCSI target to another computer.

Every now and then, FreeNAS seems to have lost its IP address; pressing Enter on the console refreshes the display and shows that the URL has changed from http://10.11.12.13 to http://0.0.0.0

By selecting menu #1, then re0, then not choosing to delete/reset the interface, and choosing to not use DHCP, I found out that the previous configuration is still there. I just do a series of Enter's, and FreeNAS is back up with the static IP address.

As soon as the static IP address is restored, the servers connected to the iSCSI target all resume their connections without further ado. (Although I *do* have to restart some servers due to services failing).

What could possibly be the reason for this strange behavior?

This has happened 3 (three) times since Nov. 25, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern. First incident happened on Nov. 28. The next two incidents happened on Nov. 30. But since Saturday, the system has been running happily without further incidents.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, since you mentioned you are using re0, that's a realtek card. If you look around here we tell people not to use them because they behave in weird ways we don't understand or really care about. 99% of the time, the solution is to get an Intel NIC for $20 from ebay. Performance and reliability problems related to networking are almost always gone just by going to a better NIC.

pepoluan

Cadet
Well, since you mentioned you are using re0, that's a realtek card. If you look around here we tell people not to use them because they behave in weird ways we don't understand or really care about. 99% of the time, the solution is to get an Intel NIC for $20 from ebay. Performance and reliability problems related to networking are almost always gone just by going to a better NIC.
Ah, I was afraid somebody's going to say that...

Oh well, this proves that 'an unused network card lying around' is always up to no good :smile:

Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.