Configuration of static ip address creates bugs

Hi there i am relatively new to freenas and i am using my freenas server for media storage at home. My setup is as follows

CPU; i7 2600
RAM; 8GB DDR3
OS version; FreeNas-11.2-U5
Build Date: Jun 24, 2019 18:41
Storage; 4×500GB hard drives raidz2

When i create a static ip address in my console setup or in the network UI. It throws of some setting that i am not aware of. I only have plex installed. The problem presents itself after i configure the static ip address. For some reason when i try to update my movies metadata on plex it won't work not even if i search for the movie name. Then upon closer inspection i noticed that when i delete plex and go to the Available tab it also gives me an error (RuntimeError: <urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servername provided, or not known>).so now i can't install plex again. I saw the only thing that worked was to redo my hole server but always when i try to create a static ip address it gives me the same problems.

I just want to know how to set a static ip address for freenas without ruining my hole server.

Fredda

Guru
This looks like you nameserver setup is not correct.

Go to Network->GlobalConfiguration and set a correct nameserver.
You might also want to check your IPv4 default gateway setting.

This looks like you nameserver setup is not correct.

Go to Network->GlobalConfiguration and set a correct nameserver.
You might also want to check your IPv4 default gateway setting.

Thanks for the quick response i will be sure to check that out. What should the nameserver be is it my router ip address or is it an actual name

Fredda

Guru
What should the nameserver be is it my router IP address or is it an actual name
This is usually the way to go. But this might also depend on your router or provider. Check what's the DNS setting of your PC
and set the same config to your FreeNAS..

This is usually the way to go. But this might also depend on your router or provider. Check what's the DNS setting of your PC
and set the same config to your FreeNAS..
Ok i went and configured my default gateway as my router ip address and also my nameserver 1 as my router ip address. Looks like i can finaly download plex now. I'll just have to see if plex can now automatically update my metadata.

I am still having trouble. I got plex to work then i tried to transfer a movie but first i had to reconfigure my SMB share and allow my user to my pool. I then transferred my movie into my plex media file but i tried creating a library but it won't pick up the movie. So then i tried to aply my permission of my user recursively throughout my pool but then suddenly when i tried going to plex it just said that the site can't be reached.

Fredda

Guru
I'm having trouble to understand what you're trying to say. I'm not using plex in FreeNAS, I can't help you
with that. But there are plenty threads here how to set up plex so I advise you to search the forum.
To point you in the right direction:
  • make sure the nameserver and default route are configured correctly in your jail too.
  • to make media files available for plex mount that subpart with video files in your SMB share into your plex jail, where it expects the media to show up.
Both that settings are done via Configuration->Jail.

I'm having trouble to understand what you're trying to say. I'm not using plex in FreeNAS, I can't help you
with that. But there are plenty threads here how to set up plex so I advise you to search the forum.
To point you in the right direction:
  • make sure the nameserver and default route are configured correctly in your jail too.
  • to make media files available for plex mount that subpart with video files in your SMB share into your plex jail, where it expects the media to show up.
Both that settings are done via Configuration->Jail.
Thanks alot for the help i eventually got everything right and it's working fine now. Thanks alot for al the help.