Static ip changed after a reboot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
After FreeNAS not been seen on the network, I eventually gave it a static ip address. That lasted just over a week, when FreeNas rebooted for whatever reason, and then the same situation occured. The ip address was changed from a static 192.168.0.22 to a dhcp assigned of 192.168.10.12. I then changed it back to the static ip address, and now wonder if it will always stay that way.

avalon60

Guru
After giving FreeNAS a static IP again, for some unknown reason FreeNAs didn't show any of my 2 plugins, emby and plexmediaserver. I only found out that something was amiss when the emby app on my tablet couldn't find the server.

I then logged into FeeNAS and uploaded a recent backup file, after doing that, FreeNAS rebooted and yet again a different ip address of 194.168.10.12. Again I assigned a static ip address of 192.168.0.22, and reboooted to find that FreeNAS said I can try the 192.168.0.12 URL to access the web user interface.
So, again I have assgned 192.168.0.22 to FeeNAS, and I'm not holding my breath for it to be the same on another reboot.

There must a more solid way of getting FreenAS to keep the ip addres you give it??

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should be able to set the FreeNAS IP addresses as static from within FreeNAS. Mine have been static for 4+ years without issue. Are you using any DHCP within FreeNAS, this means jails & plugins too? And your router, it apparently has DHCP enabled, so are tyou assigning a static IP that is within the DHCP range of your router? If so, then don't do that. Always assign a static IP outside the DHCP range.

avalon60

Guru
I did assign an IP address to FreeNAS and it changed by itself??
I don't know if I am using DHCP within FreeNAS, how do I check please.
The IP addresses fof both FreeNAS and my plugins are within a range which has been assigned.

To assign an IP outside the range of DHCP , would that be above the highest number. I have 192.168.0.28 as the highest ip number, so any above that??

I have just found that FReeNAS won't let me do it in the ipmi kvm window, as it just back to asking me to select an interface in a loop.

Last edited:

avalon60

Guru
Assigning an IP address outside the dhcp range resulted in FreeNAS not been visble on the windows network again.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I get the feeling that you don't know how to manage your router as well. Your router has a DHCP manager and it will specify a range that DHCPs are valid in. Some routers will use almost the entire set of IP addresses in which case you should make a change and maybe set it for something like 192.168.0.10 through 192.168.0.100. Next you assign a static IP to FreeNAS that is above 192.168.0.100.

Assigning an IP address outside the dhcp range resulted in FreeNAS not been visble on the windows network again.
Sounds like you didn't set the gateway or DNS when you set the static IP.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sounds like you didn't set the gateway or DNS when you set the static IP.
...or NetBIOS name resolution is being flaky, which is the normal state.

avalon60

Guru
My isp is a UK company, virgin media, who have been recently taken over by Libery Global. The router is their branded SuperHub 3, and after looking to see who makes them it appears it is or was a Compal connect box and not far away from a re-branded version of the ARRIS TG2492S/CE.
I have only had this router for a few weeks now, and still finding out about it. Presently, have reserved ip addresses for both FreeNAS and a couple of android tablets. I have rebooted FreeNAS a few times in the last couple days, and it still comes back up on the same ip address I gave it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Good, it sounds like you fixed your issue. Hope things stay that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.