FreeNAS-11.3-RC1 Change Interface Existing (Primary) IP Won't apply (Possible bug?)

phil1c

Dabbler
Hey!

I started typing this and managed to find a workaround, so I'll walk through everything I did in case this is a bug that needs addressing:

Initial Issue
My initial issue was changing the IP address, specifically the subnet mask, that was already assigned to a NIC. I had ix1 assigned 10.10.240.1/30 and needed to change it to 10.10.240.1/24. So, I go to edit interface ix1, I make the desired change to the subnet mask, hit apply, and follow all of the prompts to make the changes permanent. At no point is there an error message. However, the IP Address listed on the "Interfaces" page never changed to the new IP.

Troubleshooting
1) I restarted the box to see if the changes took but the GUI wasn't showing it. No effect.
2) I added a second IP address to ix1 with the proper 10.10.240.1/24. That updated and displayed properly.
3) I then tried editing the primary (? topmost?) IP address on ix1. Still No change.

Workaround
After trying to do some searching to see if there was an answer somewhere, I decided to simultaneously remove the second IP address of 10.10.240.1/24 AND change the subnet mask of the existing 10.10.240.1/30 on ix1 in one edit (this is starting from the same setup as Troubleshooting Step 2, where ix1 had two manually assigned IP addresses, 10.10.240.1/30 and 10.10.240.1/24). That worked!

Repeat
I have just attempted to recreate this on another NIC in the box (ix0) and the exact same series of steps occurred. After assigning an IP to a Physical interface, I have to add another IP address, apply the changes (making it permanent is not required), then go edit the interface again and simultaneously remove the extra IP address and change the first one.

NOTE: Once the interface has been assigned any kind of IP address, I am not able to delete that first IP address (ie: by erasing the IP address from the Interface/ Edit page) with the method I just described. I can edit it, as long as the edit is performed with a change (such as deleting) to another added IP address, but deleting an added IP address and clearing the primary IP address does not work to remove the primary IP address. In this instance, only the added IP address is deleted. Deleting an added IP address works when it is the only change made.

I will also add that the failure to change existing IP address settings also affects any added IP addresses. To detail:
ix0 is assigned 192.168.1.1/24.
On the edit page, add a new IP, and assign it 192.168.2.1/24 <-- this works
Go back to edit page, change 192.168.2.1/24 to 192.168.2.1/26 <-- no change

Conclusion and Specs
I doubt this is the proper method by which updating the IP address is supposed to occur so I figure it'd be best to post here. My system specs are below.
Dell r720XD LFF
4 port NIC daughter card: 2x 1gbe and 2x 10gbe (ix0 and ix1 are 10gbe NICs)
FreeNAS-11.3-RC1, updated last night

I'm not sure what else may be relevant, so let me know what else to provide.

Cheers