VLAN-only interface stays down after reboot

Decade

Cadet
I have a SuperMicro X10SDV with dual Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I350 (PCI ID 8086:1521) configured with the driver Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 2.5.3-k. Currently running FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1.

My configuration is a bit odd: ix0 is the main interface with a static IP address. ix1 is also attached to the gigabit switch, but it has a bunch of VLANs on it. None of the interfaces on ix1 have IP addresses, but they are used for jails and VMs to provide a small layer of isolation between services that I want to expose to the Internet.

My problem is that the VLANs do not come back up after a reboot. My jails cannot access anything until I change the network configuration. Then I get a scary warning, “Network connectivity will be interrupted.” And then the interfaces come back up and networking works, and I usually change the configuration back.

How do I ensure that the VLANs come up without manual intervention? Does the option of “up” make a difference?
Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 4.55.36 PM.png

D

dlavigne

Anything network related errors in /var/log/messages around the time the system boots up?

Does this section from the Guide help?
The parent interface of a VLAN must be up, but it can either have an IP address or be unconfigured, depending upon the requirements of the VLAN configuration. This makes it difficult for the web interface to do the right thing without trampling the configuration. To remedy this, add the VLAN, then select Network ‣ Interfaces, and click ADD. Choose the parent interface from the NIC drop-down menu and in the Options field, type up. This brings up the parent interface. If an IP address is required, configure it using the rest of the options in the ADD screen.