VLAN setup not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmuk

Dabbler
I have a simple VLAN requirement and have been struggling to get it to work. Can anyone please help?

1. I have attached a basic schema of my network
HomeNetworkDesign.jpg

Issue:
The Lagg0 interface is properly configured and gets it IP address from DHCP. All fine up to this point. I have now added a few vlans (101,102,103..) these have been asigned to some jail instances. The vlans are configured on the router to be issued with ip addresses on a completely different subnet but for some reason Lagg0 and the epair interfaces on the jails all seem to not have any vlan tags and get ip address from a non tagged sub-net.

I also have the 'up' command on the lagg0 interface as suggested in some of the posts. What am I doing wrong or is there a bug?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Mixing tagged and nontagged on the same interface is bad design. Once you decide to go vlan, tag everything and be done with it.

jkmuk

Dabbler
Take your point. In this instance there is no mixing of tagged and untagged. All traffic is either tagged with the defined vlan id or the default (1) . The issue is that the frames from Freenas seem to not have any tags associated with them.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What's the output from "ifconfig -a" (enclose in CODE tags for maximal happiness)?

jkmuk

Dabbler
I seem to have resolved this. The issue or (my lack of understanding) is that for the Vlanxxx to obtain a IP address from DHCP the parent interface (lagg0) should have been left completely unconfigured (i.e.) No ipv4/Ipv6 manual/DHCP configuration, but just the command 'up' in the options. The Vlanxxx that has lagg0 as the parent interface should then be configured to have IP addresses. This now has resolved one issue but has raised a few more....
1. I am not able to have more than one VLAN that is ipv4 DHCP configured. Is this a limitation on freenas? Is there a workaround. I can live with manual IP configuration for the other vlans but would prefer a DHCP assigned address.
2. How does IPV6 work on freenas? I have a DHCPv6 running on the network, but freenas does not seem to take address from there?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I seem to have resolved this. The issue or (my lack of understanding) is that for the Vlanxxx to obtain a IP address from DHCP the parent interface (lagg0) should have been left completely unconfigured (i.e.) No ipv4/Ipv6 manual/DHCP configuration, but just the command 'up' in the options. The Vlanxxx that has lagg0 as the parent interface should then be configured to have IP addresses. This now has resolved one issue but has raised a few more....
1. I am not able to have more than one VLAN that is ipv4 DHCP configured. Is this a limitation on freenas? Is there a workaround. I can live with manual IP configuration for the other vlans but would prefer a DHCP assigned address.
2. How does IPV6 work on freenas? I have a DHCPv6 running on the network, but freenas does not seem to take address from there?

Right, so, what I previously said, mixing untagged and tagged on the same interface. Bad. It can be made to work, but don't.

Your filer should probably not be assigned a DHCP address, especially if it has a complex network configuration. This has the potential to wreak havoc with things like the default route. Infrastructure gear is best configured with static address assignments.

No information on v6 other than it's supposed to "work".

Status
Not open for further replies.