[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - Syncthing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kassim3

Cadet
this is a miscommunication between the plugin's middleware layer and the freenas interface. you could try playing around with making sure the jail has a reliably determinable IP (as shown with 'jls').
A lot of people have been getting this error lately, I don't know the exact cause or how to stop it from happening.

I'm guessing it's probably one of the updates that's caused this?

I'll just install it in the jail the plugin created but I'll try another plugins first

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Is everyone only having this issue on the latest version (v0.11.3) of syncthing?
you could try installing earlier versions of the syncthing PBI from download.freenas.org

A workaround is to enable+start syncthing from the command line
Code:
sysrc syncthing_enable=YES
service syncthing start

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm guessing it's probably one of the updates that's caused this?

I'll just install it in the jail the plugin created but I'll try another plugins first
I don't think so, as I haven't changed anything between versions. But if you can confirm different versions of the syncthing PBI don't have this issue, and we can isolate why, I can try fixing it.
As of now, I can't reproduce this. All versions of syncthing install fine for me.

fmdx

Explorer
Considering this is so rampant with other plugins have the Freenas dev's been trying to find a solution?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Considering this is so rampant with other plugins have the Freenas dev's been trying to find a solution?
I have been trying, not sure about anyone else.
But, it doesn't affect everyone so it has been tough to debug.

George51

Contributor
I don't think so, as I haven't changed anything between versions. But if you can confirm different versions of the syncthing PBI don't have this issue, and we can isolate why, I can try fixing it.
As of now, I can't reproduce this. All versions of syncthing install fine for me.
I tried to download 11.12, got exactly the same error - just managed to make 11.3 work using the couple of lines of script you gave... Cheers

kassim3

Cadet

Sorry i wasn't clear i meant could one of the freenas updates caused this?

I'll try the code and see if that works. I did try to install sickrage and same thing happened. I'll experiment around more when i get back from work

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sorry i wasn't clear i meant could one of the freenas updates caused this?

I'll try the code and see if that works. I did try to install sickrage and same thing happened. I'll experiment around more when i get back from work
I believe some update did cause this, at least for certain setups. its been affecting people like crazy last 2 weeks.

kassim3

Cadet
10.3 works fine but all 11.* do not work

Ok found work around:
1)download 10.3 and upload through gui
2)then update through gui
3)enable the plugin in gui and it should work

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
10.3 works fine but all 11.* do not work

Ok found work around:
1)download 10.3 and upload through gui
2)then update through gui
3)enable the plugin in gui and it should work
Strange that this method works but directly installing didn't.

Glad you got it working, but hopefully we can make it simpler for people.

mskenderian

Contributor
trying to create a jail and install the pbi manually, but i am having trouble. when adding a jail, there is no template called plugin jail anymore. so i created a template using http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64/freenas-pluginjail-9.3-RELEASE.tgz.

I created that template, then install the jail, now iam trying to upload the pbi. there is no icon named "Upload Plugin" for that specific jail. How can i install a standard plugin jail template?

The reason why i am installing it manually, i am trying to have separate instances of synchthing with custom jail names, so i know which syncthing is for who. unfortunately freenas does not have a way to install a plugin and add a custom name to the jail. it just names it syncthing_2

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
trying to create a jail and install the pbi manually, but i am having trouble. when adding a jail, there is no template called plugin jail anymore. so i created a template using http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64/freenas-pluginjail-9.3-RELEASE.tgz.

I created that template, then install the jail, now iam trying to upload the pbi. there is no icon named "Upload Plugin" for that specific jail. How can i install a standard plugin jail template?

The reason why i am installing it manually, i am trying to have separate instances of synchthing with custom jail names, so i know which syncthing is for who. unfortunately freenas does not have a way to install a plugin and add a custom name to the jail. it just names it syncthing_2
this feature was removed in freenas 9.3.
unless you do some hacking you're going to end up with either syncthjng_1 or customplugin_1 (I might be mistaken on this name).

mskenderian

Contributor
i manually got change the name of the plugin, it seemed to boot up just fine. I changed the port to 443 now my plugin wont start. is there an issue with running the web gui on port 443?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
i manually got change the name of the plugin, it seemed to boot up just fine. I changed the port to 443 now my plugin wont start. is there an issue with running the web gui on port 443?
the plugin runs as an unprivledged user 'syncthing'. unprivileged users can't bind to ports <1024. there's some people solutions to this. search the forum and you should find something.

ovizii

Patron
earlier you mentioned:
this is a miscommunication between the plugin's middleware layer and the freenas interface. you could try playing around with making sure the jail has a reliably determinable IP (as shown with 'jls').
but I've never ever been able to get jls to actually show me an IP even though all my jails have static IPs. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
earlier you mentioned:
but I've never ever been able to get jls to actually show me an IP even though all my jails have static IPs. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
probably because you have VIMAGE. though that miscommunication issue might just have been caused by a bug that was fixed a few weeks ago.

are you still having issues with syncthing? what version are you on?

ovizii

Patron
the issues I am having is being unable to update syncthing and plex. I only know of those two since they are the only two right now in need of an update.
full story is here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/problems-with-the-latest-upgrade.35048/#post-211935

I'm running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506222346

and this is what an update attempt of syncthing-0.11.5-amd64 yields:
Code:
Jun 23 19:56:02 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/fiver/jails/syncthing_1/mnt/_whitey-TitaniumBackup'
Jun 23 19:56:02 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: umount: /mnt/fiver/jails/syncthing_1/mnt/_whitey-TitaniumBackup: not a file system root directory

and this is what an update attempt of plexmediaserver-0.9.12.1.1079-amd64 yields:
Code:
Jun 23 20:03:30 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/fiver/jails/plexmediaserver_1/mnt/Movies'
Jun 23 20:03:30 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/fiver/jails/plexmediaserver_1/mnt/Series'
Jun 23 20:03:31 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: There was a problem creating the PBI]

Any ideas and hints are welcome :smile:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
the issues I am having is being unable to update syncthing and plex. I only know of those two since they are the only two right now in need of an update.
full story is here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/problems-with-the-latest-upgrade.35048/#post-211935

I'm running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506222346

and this is what an update attempt of syncthing-0.11.5-amd64 yields:
Code:
Jun 23 19:56:02 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/fiver/jails/syncthing_1/mnt/_whitey-TitaniumBackup'
Jun 23 19:56:02 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: umount: /mnt/fiver/jails/syncthing_1/mnt/_whitey-TitaniumBackup: not a file system root directory

and this is what an update attempt of plexmediaserver-0.9.12.1.1079-amd64 yields:
Code:
Jun 23 20:03:30 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/fiver/jails/plexmediaserver_1/mnt/Movies'
Jun 23 20:03:30 freenas manage.py: [common.pipesubr:70] Popen()ing: /sbin/umount -f '/mnt/fiver/jails/plexmediaserver_1/mnt/Series'
Jun 23 20:03:31 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: There was a problem creating the PBI]

Any ideas and hints are welcome :smile:
looks like a bug with freenas. a workaround might be to remove the storage from the jails, try the update, then add them back

hungarianhc

Patron
Where are the logs for syncthing located?

Status
Not open for further replies.