[FreeNAS 9 Plugin] - Media Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisma

Explorer
Yes, I already have a cifs share on my nas so that I can access files on my nas directly.

my nas has the network name "homenas".

I can change the path to -
"\\homenas\jails\mediabrowser_1{PATH}"

That results in a "file not found" error, since {PATH} resolves to /usr/local/movies/<moviename>, resulting in the full path -
"\\homenas\jails\mediabrowser_1/usr/local/movies/<moviename>"

Windows has no clue what to do with that path.

If I try to change the path to -
"//homenas/jails/mediabrowser_1/usr/local/movies/<moviename>"

mpc doesn't even recognize it as a valid path argument, since it expects backslashes in the path.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I don't know why you are factoring in the jail to your CIFS share. im assuming your media is on a dataset, which is mounted into the jail. CIFS runs on the freenas host, and accessed the direct path to the dataset.

for example. if you media was on /mnt/tank/media, have CIFS share that path as a share "media". in path substitution have it point to the freenas hostname + share name.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
as for the backslash issue, I have now idea what to do about that. I haven't used anything but freebsd/Linux in years =\

Hisma

Explorer
as for the backslash issue, I have now idea what to do about that. I haven't used anything but freebsd/Linux in years =\

this is the core issue, unfortunately.

from what I can see what it comes down to is, if you are using a bsd/linux backend, you need to use a linux/bsd frontend if you plan to use direct paths.

i can live without using an external player, but not being able to use xbmb3c is a real bummer :(

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
any reason xbmc's built in player doesnt work for you? I think the MB forums would know more about this than me, getting confused what the setup is here, lol.

Hisma

Explorer
When you enable the xbmb3c plugin, it uses mb3 server for library management and overrides the xbmc library settings.

However, xbmcs internal player uses a direct path to play files, since it was not built around a back end the way mb3 is. You can see the conflict this creates by using the freenas mb3 library with xbmc.

It's confusing, but it seems my frustrations were noticed by the mb3 devs since this would effect any user that utilizes a bsd/Linux backend and a Windows frontend.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
When you enable the xbmb3c plugin, it uses mb3 server for library management and overrides the xbmc library settings.

However, xbmcs internal player uses a direct path to play files, since it was not built around a back end the way mb3 is. You can see the conflict this creates by using the freenas mb3 library with xbmc.

It's confusing, but it seems my frustrations were noticed by the mb3 devs since this would effect any user that utilizes a bsd/Linux backend and a Windows frontend.
nice. hope they get it working.

xbmb3c is something I might want to do.
I use openeled for my HTPCs, but having the MB integration might be nice.

diedrichg

Wizard
Excellent job, Joshua. I just installed the server on my HTPC and I'll definitely look into installing this on my FreeNAS machine.

One big advantage I see off the bat is selecting video resolution. With Plex, only certain browsers displayed the option to change resolution. MB looks very promising!

ratzofftoya

Cadet

Hey there, did you ever get this XBMC-MB3 issue sorted out? I'd like to use MB3 on my FreeNAS as a back-end for my XBMC machine, which will be Windows-based. Not sure if it's worth using Kodibuntu or whatever instead of Windows just to get around this.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hey there, did you ever get this XBMC-MB3 issue sorted out? I'd like to use MB3 on my FreeNAS as a back-end for my XBMC machine, which will be Windows-based. Not sure if it's worth using Kodibuntu or whatever instead of Windows just to get around this.
I believe his issue (which had to do with forward vs backslash paths) was resolved, there's some posts about it on the Emby forum.

Also, the XBMB3C plugin will be depreciated soon in favor of the Emby for Kodi add-on (which is in Beta). It works really well on my OpenELEC Kodi machine.

ratzofftoya

Cadet
I believe his issue (which had to do with forward vs backslash paths) was resolved, there's some posts about it on the Emby forum.

Also, the XBMB3C plugin will be depreciated soon in favor of the Emby for Kodi add-on (which is in Beta). It works really well on my OpenELEC Kodi machine.
Thanks. Yes, I will be using Emby for Kodi rather than XBMB3C. I can't seem to find the thread he referred to, so if you have it handy, I'd appreciate a share!

Also, thanks for all your fantastic work in this community. Just dipped into FreeNAS for the first time last week and your guides/forum posts are invaluable.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks. Yes, I will be using Emby for Kodi rather than XBMB3C. I can't seem to find the thread he referred to, so if you have it handy, I'd appreciate a share!

Also, thanks for all your fantastic work in this community. Just dipped into FreeNAS for the first time last week and your guides/forum posts are invaluable.
search for Hisma's user in the emby forums, shouldn't be too hard to find.

glad I could be of help

Hisma

Explorer

Yes I resolved the issue using path substitution. Go to the Big stickied thread in the freenas emby sub forum. I posted step by step instructions on how to set it up there. Shouldn't be hard to find, though if you have trouble finding it let me know. Im on my phone right now

bmcclure937

Contributor
I had a hard time digging up this Help & Support thread due to the name change to Emby. I have been running Emby for a number of months without any issues... but now I am unable to upgrade the plugin. My system says it is unable to create the PDI file. I can grab the exact error text when I have access to my box.

The other question I have is around the permissions for Emby. I see that Emby has an option to delete the media file but I do not believe this will work for me since Emby only has read permissions to my media shares. Does anyone use this functionality in Emby?

Thanks!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I had a hard time digging up this Help & Support thread due to the name change to Emby. I have been running Emby for a number of months without any issues... but now I am unable to upgrade the plugin. My system says it is unable to create the PDI file. I can grab the exact error text when I have access to my box.

The other question I have is around the permissions for Emby. I see that Emby has an option to delete the media file but I do not believe this will work for me since Emby only has read permissions to my media shares. Does anyone use this functionality in Emby?

Thanks!
you could do the trick I do when a plugin refuses to update.
* upload a PBI for another plugin to the jail
* delete the emby plugin
* upload the latest emby PBI to the jail
* delete the extra plugin you installed

I dont use the deleting function. but I did test it before, just give emby's user write permission to the files.

bmcclure937

Contributor
you could do the trick I do when a plugin refuses to update.
* upload a PBI for another plugin to the jail
* delete the emby plugin
* upload the latest emby PBI to the jail
* delete the extra plugin you installed

I dont use the deleting function. but I did test it before, just give emby's user write permission to the files.

Thanks, I will give this a try. Fighting another battle with my boot volume being DEGRADED. I had this happen before and easily replaced the USB. This time running into issues... so doing some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.