11.2 - Who has installed?

petoz

Dabbler
Looking for feedback from anyone that has installed 11.2, released today
Upgraded trhee hours ago from 11.1-U6 to FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE. Everything seems OK. Old plugins working, VM also.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Dataset encryption is not, and never has been, a FreeNAS feature. What exactly are you talking about?
Encrypting the pool is not a feature? See menu to right of your pool menu when you select "Storage" in the new UI:
Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 7.07.42 AM.png

Or at the bottom in the old UI after selecting "Storage" and then highlighting the pool:
Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 7.17.47 AM.png

Encryption of the data at rest has been a GUI-supported FreeNAS feature as way back in 9.x, IIRC. Upgrading to 11.2 resulted in the data set being stripped of encryption. I had to re-enable data encryption for my pool after upgrading from 11.1-U6 to 11.2 Release.

I'm not saying it's a bad feature - there may be very good reasons to disable pool encryption during an upgrade - but the user should be made aware. Make the message part of the progress bar as the FreeNAS Update is downloaded, for example. None of the other transitions (9 to Corral, 9 to 11.0, etc.) or past -Ux updates did this, AFAIK.

I was scratching my head for a while while I didn't have to unlock my pool to make the data available and then I realized it was because the FreeNAS upgrade process removed the encryption protection.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Encrypting the pool is not a feature?
Yes, it is--well, mostly. More accurately, the partitions are encrypted, and then a pool is created on them. But in any case, a pool is not a dataset. Dataset-level encryption is a very different thing, which has only recently been added to OpenZFS on Linux but isn't present in FreeBSD yet.
the FreeNAS upgrade process removed the encryption protection.
I doubt it actually did this, or even that it would be possible for it to have done so*. What it might have done would be to remove the passphrase for the encryption key, which might make it appear that the encryption was gone. But either way, it sounds like a bug. Suggest you report it using the "support" link in the web GUI, which will attach a debug file to help the devs figure out what happened. Edit: I just tried to reproduce this by creating an encrypted pool under 11.2-BETA2, setting a passphrase, and then upgrading to 11.2-RELEASE. When it rebooted after the upgrade, I needed to enter the passphrase to unlock the pool--so at least with going from 11.2-BETA2 to 11.2-RELEASE, I couldn't duplicate the issue.

* Yes, it's possible to decrypt a pool. But to do that, you'd need to offline a disk, destroy its partition table, recreate it without GELI encryption, and resilver it into the pool. And then repeat with all your other disks. Unless your upgrade took many hours, it couldn't have done that.

Last edited:
Tried to go from RC2 to Release. Not having much luck. Been running nearly 45 minutes and all I'm seeing is core dumps...

core-dump.png

Not sure if I should kill it and restart or just let it error out on its own.

Cheers,
Matt

Redcoat

MVP

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Yes, it is--well, mostly. More accurately, the partitions are encrypted, and then a pool is created on them. But in any case, a pool is not a dataset. Dataset-level encryption is a very different thing, which has only recently been added to OpenZFS on Linux but isn't present in FreeBSD yet.

Apologies for using the wrong terminology. Glad we can agree that pool encryption is a long-time, GUI-supported, FreeNAS feature. I will report the bug when I have time. For all I know it has to do with all the transitions in the past, i.e. creating the pool under 9.x, briefly flirting with Coral, transitioning to 11.0, 11.1, and finally 11.2.

That aside, some of the unintended system shutdowns that plagued my system every 2 days when I tried out 11.2 RC2, esp. under load, seem to be a thing of the past. That's welcome news. FWIW, my pool didn't lose its encryption passphrase during that experimental transition before I reverted to 11.1-U6 for a return to stability.

jlpellet

Patron
Installed on 5 systems (3 RC2, 2 11.1U6). Update succeeded on 3 without problems (including AMD A6). 1 RC2 update failed (11.2 release in continuous reboot after install & fallback to RC2 failed with no bootable system. installed fresh 11.1U6 & updated successfully). 1 11.1U6 did not reboot properly after update but after power cycle 11.2 came up fine (headless so no boot fail info).

John

Michael Hanna

Dabbler
I would like to install but even after changing trains to 11.2 stable I'm only seeing 11.2 RC2 listed in available updates.

D

dlavigne

I'm getting some errors while trying to install 11.2 from USB created with Rufus 3.4.1430 on Windows 10 (also tried 3.3.1400 with two different thumb drives).

ISO Checksum is OK

Tried with 11.1-U6 and it worked fine no problem, also Rufus behaves more like it usually do, asks if you want ISO or DD mode and also says "hey i need to download grub, is this ok?". For 11.2 it just grays out everything and just writes it.

Code:
FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(Wed Dec 5 15:05:26 EST 2018 root@nemesis.tn.ixsystems.com)
read 272 from 128 to 0xdbe03220, error: 0x80
read 258 from 2 to 0xdbdf3620, error: 0x80
read 260 from 64 to 0xdbe03220, error: 0x80
read 1 from 64 to 0xdvdfb220, error: 0x80
read 1 from 1 to 0xdbdf3420, error: 0x80
panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0xdbef9320 from unknown:0

What am I doing wrong?

Does it work if you use Image Writer instead? We've seen inconsistent results with Rufus.

D

dlavigne

I am not a particular 'fan' of the feature where dataset encryption pass-phrases are removed as part of the upgrade process.

I'm sure there is a reason but FreeNAS might want to inform users of this explicitly during the process.

Can you clarify what you mean by that? We don't support dataset encryption (this is a 2019 feature provided by native crypto). What exactly is the issue (I am asking to make sure it is clear in the Upgrading Recommendations section of the Release Notes).

D

dlavigne

I have change the train, but I still see the update for 11.2-RC2. Is there a way to clear the caches of the updates?

Edit: Also after reboot I can’t see th e update :(

Are you behind a proxy? Can you verify that you can ping an Internet address?

D

dlavigne

Tried to go from RC2 to Release. Not having much luck. Been running nearly 45 minutes and all I'm seeing is core dumps...

View attachment 26867

Not sure if I should kill it and restart or just let it error out on its own.

Cheers,
Matt

Don't restart as that makes it worse. I don't think anyone has reported a ticket yet. If the update fails, please create one that includes a debug so we can see what's up.

Followup: I double-checked with QE that this was one of the update tests that passed qualification. It is possible that the stress of the update is causing the boot device to fail (just a heads up for those who want to try a different boot device). It is still worth reporting if the update fails just to make sure that there isn't something else at play here.

Michael Hanna

Dabbler
Are you behind a proxy? Can you verify that you can ping an Internet address?

I sit behind a non-caching squid proxy in pfsense (only used for filtering)... which my freenas server is excluded from anyways. Yes, I can ping any site I've tested from my freenas server.

chris crude

Patron
Went from RC2 to 11.2, very fast and clean update for me. THANKS!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Can you clarify what you mean by that? We don't support dataset encryption (this is a 2019 feature provided by native crypto). What exactly is the issue (I am asking to make sure it is clear in the Upgrading Recommendations section of the Release Notes).
My pool was encrypted with a pass-phrase from the very beginning (9.10, IIRC). Thus, every time the NAS is rebooted, I have to provide a pass-phrase in order for FreeNAS to be able to mount the pool contents and share them.

After transiting the system from 11.1-U6 to 11.2 STABLE, the storage pool no longer required a pass-phrase to be entered in order for the various shared entities to become available.

It's as if the encryption had been stripped off. Whether the encryption was removed or whether the pass-phrase needed to unlock it somehow got nulled and hence stuff could get auto-mounted, is something for the gurus at FreeNAS. The salient point being that the contents of the pool were no longer protected after a reboot as expected.

It is possible that the stress of the update is causing the boot device to fail (just a heads up for those who want to try a different boot device).

Doubtful. I logged a bug last month (53485) when I couldn't upgrade from BETA3 to RC1 and y'all blamed my boot device. I replaced the USB sticks with a pair of low-mileage HP 10K SAS drives.

Three hours later, it is still throwing core dumps and not making any progress. Should I cancel or just let it run?

Cheers,
Matt

WookieCookie

Dabbler
Just completed upgrading from 11.2-RC2 to 11.2-RELEASE no issues to report with the upgrade. Still have some reporting problems with CPU and Memory on the dashboard, but I haven't started to research what that's all about yet.

chris crude

Patron
Just completed upgrading from 11.2-RC2 to 11.2-RELEASE no issues to report with the upgrade. Still have some reporting problems with CPU and Memory on the dashboard, but I haven't started to research what that's all about yet.
took a little time to generate stats, but things look good now.