11.2 - Who has installed?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That shouldn't be a problem at all. Be sure the new card's firmware is up to date. Otherwise, one of the best features of FreeNAS/ZFS is that it is controller agnostic. Any port in a storm.

And just to clarify, it's more like "port agnostic." @MatthewSteinhoff is generally correct in that the system itself is happy to work off SATA/SAS ports on the system and that there aren't any requirements that all drives for a pool be connected to a single controller, and you can move, manipulate, reassign, etc., drives between ports and controllers without much fuss.

However, be aware that it is possible for an add-in card not to have a usable BIOS for booting, or an HBA not to be configured to boot, so when we're talking about system boot devices, it has to be a port that the PC platform itself is willing to boot from. This may influence some of your decisions about where to attach pool disks. In general, save mainboard ports for boot and L2ARC devices where that is possible and practical.

IanWor

Dabbler
OK all. Upgraded - really quick even on the mirrored USBs. Got the two new SSD's installed but I have a question.

The USB's are 32GiB drives and the SSD's are 120GiB drives. If I add the two SSD's to the boot pool as 2 more mirrored drives and then take out the USB's would that work?

Asking for a friend........

Thanks guys!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes. Note that autoexpand is generally off on boot pools.

IanWor

Dabbler
Yes. Note that autoexpand is generally off on boot pools.
Got it.

So to deal with the auto-expand issue what I have done is the following:

Change to the legacy UI as I can not see how to do this in the new UI

When trying to add the new larger drive to the boot pool I get the error: "Currently 3 drive mirroring is not supported"
So I detach one of the USB boot drives
Add one of the new boot drives and select 'use all of the drive space'
Allow the reslivering to complete

Checked the drive now and made sure it is all looking good...

Detach the other USB boot drive
Add the final new boot drive and select 'use all of the drive space'
Reboot and update the BIOS to use the new boot device(s)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Got it.

So to deal with the auto-expand issue what I have done is the following:

Change to the legacy UI as I can not see how to do this in the new UI

When trying to add the new larger drive to the boot pool I get the error: "Currently 3 drive mirroring is not supported"
So I detach one of the USB boot drives
Add one of the new boot drives and select 'use all of the drive space'

Checked the drive now and made sure it is all looking good...

Detach the other USB boot drive
Add the final new boot drive and select 'use all of the drive space'
Reboot and update the BIOS to use the new boot device(s)

That seems excellent.

bestboy

Contributor
I guess I wasn't clear. I was looking for a way to disable only email notifications. I do understand that disabling netdata completely would disable email notifications along with it. Before this update, I had never received any email notifications from netdata, so obviously something changed which caused me to get about 300 emails.

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but setting SEND_EMAIL="NO" in /usr/local/etc/netdata/health_alarm_notify.conf and restarting the service seems to have done what I was looking for.

Is modifying the netdata configuration file really the way to go or is this just a workaround? Is this change persistent across reboots?

MikeyG

Patron
Is modifying the netdata configuration file really the way to go or is this just a workaround? Is this change persistent across reboots?

So far it seems only temporary and not persistent across reboots. I'm experimenting with files in /conf/base/etc/local/netdata and /etc/local/netdata to see if those are more permanent but don't have any positive results yet.

I'm getting some errors while trying to install 11.2 from USB created with Rufus 3.4.1430 on Windows 10 (also tried 3.3.1400 with two different thumb drives).

ISO Checksum is OK

Tried with 11.1-U6 and it worked fine no problem, also Rufus behaves more like it usually do, asks if you want ISO or DD mode and also says "hey i need to download grub, is this ok?". For 11.2 it just grays out everything and just writes it.

Code:
FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(Wed Dec 5 15:05:26 EST 2018 root@nemesis.tn.ixsystems.com)
read 272 from 128 to 0xdbe03220, error: 0x80
read 258 from 2 to 0xdbdf3620, error: 0x80
read 260 from 64 to 0xdbe03220, error: 0x80
read 1 from 64 to 0xdvdfb220, error: 0x80
read 1 from 1 to 0xdbdf3420, error: 0x80
panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0xdbef9320 from unknown:0

What am I doing wrong?

I am getting this exact same error.

@samulen Did you ever figure a solution?

hiro5id

Dabbler
Did your install ever finish? Mine appears to be doing the same thing upgrading to 11.2 U2
It is stuck at 62.50% Installing base-os (1/4)

I upgraded my test env from 11.2-RC2 to 11.2, was able to do it in about 20-30 minutes (slow CPU). But for my production one (RC2->Stable), it has a better CPU but the update is still running for 40 mins - seems to be stuck at 62.50% (installing base-os 1/4). I can see my USB stick flashing away, so it must be doing something. I'll let it go for a few more and see what happens...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Did your install ever finish? Mine appears to be doing the same thing upgrading to 11.2 U2
It is stuck at 62.50% Installing base-os (1/4)
That is typically a slow boot device keeping things from progressing faster than a snail's pace.

hiro5id

Dabbler
Last edited:

damdude

Dabbler
I'm getting some errors while trying to install 11.2 from USB created with Rufus 3.4.1430 on Windows 10 (also tried 3.3.1400 with two different thumb drives).

ISO Checksum is OK

Tried with 11.1-U6 and it worked fine no problem, also Rufus behaves more like it usually do, asks if you want ISO or DD mode and also says "hey i need to download grub, is this ok?". For 11.2 it just grays out everything and just writes it.

Code:

What am I doing wrong?

Were you able to resolve this issue coz I am also seeing thie exact same error

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Possibly a similar error, but it shouldn't be the exact same one.
What version of FreeNAS do you have already (if any) and what version are you trying to install?
The more details you can provide, the more likely it is that someone can help you. You might even want to start your own thread.

damdude

Dabbler
Possibly a similar error, but it shouldn't be the exact same one.
What version of FreeNAS do you have already (if any) and what version are you trying to install?
The more details you can provide, the more likely it is that someone can help you. You might even want to start your own thread.
My current freeness is messed up due to some other issue posted here https://forums.freenas.org/threads/plex-plugin-re-install.73867/#post-512515.
so that why I am doing a fresh install and seeing the exact same error.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

samulen

Cadet
As I've stated before, I 'solved' it by circumventing the issue by installing an earlier version of freenas (11.1-u6) and then update that version to 11.2 from the web interface.
My guess is that it's probably related to the boot loader that they changed to (from GRUB to the native FreeBSD) being incompatible with some hardware, so I will post my hardware details for comparison:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
  • CPU: Intel i7 920
  • Memory: 48GB (6x8GB)
  • Controller: LSI 9207-8i
  • HDD install: Intel SSD 320 160GB
  • HDD storage: 8x WD Red NAS 4TB (WD40EFRX)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
As I've stated before, I 'solved' it by circumventing the issue by installing an earlier version of freenas (11.1-u6) and then update that version to 11.2 from the web interface.
My guess is that it's probably related to the boot loader that they changed to (from GRUB to the native FreeBSD) being incompatible with some hardware, so I will post my hardware details for comparison:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
  • CPU: Intel i7 920
  • Memory: 48GB (6x8GB)
  • Controller: LSI 9207-8i
  • HDD install: Intel SSD 320 160GB
  • HDD storage: 8x WD Red NAS 4TB (WD40EFRX)
It would be helpful if you went to the https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas/ site and opened a ticket on this because that is not a long-term fix. There are a lot of people having similar problems and it would be best if it were fixed instead of needing a work around.

piperfect

Dabbler

ISO Checksum is OK

Code:

What am I doing wrong?

I am having this same issue with 11.2 u7 ....my boot USB died and I am trying to reload.