We Want to Hear Your Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostjan

Contributor
It should be simple. FreeNAS' main audience is the DIY crowd and home users. Is it?

Bostjan

Contributor
as @arian78 said:

Add complex Samba logging to separate log files (user, IP, what operation).

Arwen

MVP
as @Hazimil said:

A simple way to mount a locally attached (to the NAS box) USB device, for performing a local (ZFS) backup. Remember, a lot of users are home-users with relatively low storage requirements, and a easy-to-use local backup feature would be extremely useful and good practice to promote.
I'd also request support for eSATA & SAS, in addition USB.

This method is exactly what I do for primary backups on my FreeNAS. Mine is scripted, but still a bit of manual effort. I've documented the procedure in this forum's resource section as;

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/how-to-backup-to-local-disks.26/

Bostjan

Contributor
Full iocage support in GUI.

Everything that it can be done in CLI, it can be done in GUI, perhaps even more e.g. not related to iocage but in conjunction with iocage.

Bostjan

Contributor
Resolve current bugs and issues users post in this forum.

as @danb35 said:

Yeah, this. It's good, I guess, that iX is reaching out to users and asking for ideas, but there are a lot of ideas in bug reports (and elsewhere on the forums) that haven't been implemented, some for a very long time, including a number of those mentioned here. I certainly hope those will be reviewed as well.

ovizii

Patron
Native integration with Elasticsearch/Logstash for me would be excellent so that I can keep an eye on things from a central location and see how things are running, plot graphs etc. I know I can do it via the syslog option (which I do) but there isn't enough detail in there. I know there is also the native Graphite option which I can use with the logstash plugin, but it doesn't quite seem to work properly.
I don't think that is a core feature of a NAS but how about this gets implemented via Docker? That way everyone can add the features he considers must-have - i.e. I am a fan of graylog and not the solution you mentioned so if Docker support was fully implemented we could both chose what we consider best.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It should be simple.
This seems... inconsistent with many of your other suggestions.
Full iocage support in GUI.
I believe this is already in the new GUI.
Integrate Let's Encrypt (GUI)
I like this in principle, but how do you see it being implemented? The "easy" way to validate domain ownership would require that the server be directly exposed to the Internet, which is strongly discouraged. DNS validation removes that requirement, but only (effectively) works with DNS hosts who have an API, and the APIs are all different. Unless you're thinking that iX would set up a domain like freenasusers.org, let folks register to get subdomains, and provide their own DNS service for that domain...
Have a firewall - preferably a GUI firewall.
Strongly disagree with this one, though that's been discussed up-thread.

...and as to all of the "me too" posts, IIRC, the OP asked us to just click Thanks on the ones we agreed with--that would make it much easier for iX to tally up support for various

Bostjan

Contributor
Separate core FreeNAS from other features.

For instance fail Fail2ban, firewall, ldap server, charts from all logs, resource management, …

Everythig would run in its own separate iocage jail. From FreeNAS GUI you wouldn’t see the difference that those services are in different iocage jails. All this jails would be created and maintained by creator of FN - > ixsystem.

So core FreeNAS would get its own development and each services (jail) would get its own maintenance.

Users will have the choice to use just core FreeNAS or add any this services by a click of a mouse.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Leave current plugin system intact.
Surely you jest? You'd be hard-pressed to find something as convoluted and useless to the point of irrelevance as PBI. There's a very good reason everyone installs stuff manually instead of using the pre-made plugins. Several reasons, in fact.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
...and as to all of the "me too" posts, IIRC, the OP asked us to just click Thanks on the ones we agreed with--that would make it much easier for iX to tally up support for various
Yes there's a lot of repetition in this thread. Unfortunately, it's gotten too long for me to fix that in reasonable time.

So please, thank the suggestions you like.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Surely you jest? You'd be hard-pressed to find something as convoluted and useless to the point of irrelevance as PBI.
Far be it from me to try to speak for @Bostjan, but I'd interpret this as being the "current system" from the UX side--a list of prepackaged, point-and-click software packages, where the basic required configuration can be done through the GUI.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Far be it from me to try to speak for @Bostjan, but I'd interpret this as being the "current system" from the UX side--a list of prepackaged, point-and-click software packages, where the basic required configuration can be done through the GUI.
Well, much of the point of iocage is to get something along those lines that is actually usable.

Bostjan

Contributor
Surely you jest? You'd be hard-pressed to find something as convoluted and useless to the point of irrelevance as PBI.
I tried to make a point that those plugins that work and users who use and rely on them it should stayed as is.

And offer new plugin system or perhaps iocage or something along those lines.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I tried to make a point that those plugins that work and users who use and rely on them it should stayed as is.
But they don't work! They're always broken in some way and there's literally one person on the whole planet maintaining them, AFAIK.

You'll probably see better support for the popular plugins on iocage day zero than you've seen from FreeNAS versions 8, 9, 9.10 and 11. That's how bad they are.

(Note that warden is still around in 11.2, in the old GUI. It's EOL, but it's still as functional as it's always been, which is to say "not very".)

Bostjan

Contributor
About this post and voting.

Probably there are 500.000 installations of FreeNAS (I made up that number).

To this post probably 100 users posted their wishes.

10 out of those 100 users voted.

Do you think that these votes represent all 500k users?

I think that ix should take all suggestions and then put it to a vote to ALL users (not just forum). If they really want voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.