We Want to Hear Your Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Deploying an API key has a risk/benefit calculation that every admin needs to make on their own
...or adjust by hosting their own limited DNS using acme-dns, which is what I recently started doing. If those credentials leak, the most they can do is add/remove TXT records for something like ed52dd97-1a80-4926-8408-f7f77a4899d9.acme.mydomain. That could result in certificate misissuance for the corresponding host, but only for that host.

lukyjay

Contributor
That sounds literally like the new GUI.
Yes that's a great example. Because they've done it that way they received a lot of feedback (and criticism) when it first rolled out. They were able to take that feedback and make changes, and now people like it.

Imagine if they had worked on the guide start to finish over the course of a year and released something people didn't like.

Agile is interesting, there are a lot of resources on the net on how it benefits software development. Worth a read.

FreeZM

Dabbler
Some options seems not to be visible when Disk devices from zvols are created, e.g. zvol sector size (or am I wrong...?)

Last edited:

JustinClift

Patron
Some options seems not to be visible when zvol is created, e.g. zvol sector size (or am I wrong...?)

Not seeing an sector size option in there, but there is a "Block size" option in the advanced settings:

FreeNAS_Block_Size1.png

That's with FreeNAS 11.1-U4. Not sure if that means it's just a changed name, or if I'm looking at the wrong option. :)

FreeZM

Dabbler
JustinClift: Sorry, my mistake, properties of Disk devices I mean. Sectorsize only visible while creating I think, not later e.g. for information. Thanks.(corrected)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Have a GUI way to add a second disk to a single-disk pool/vdev to turn it into a mirror.
Quoting this for emphasis. Folks, this request has been outstanding for at least five years. This needs to happen.

Apollo

Wizard
Freenas should provide better, more user friendly ways to explain and help resolve failes operations.
For instance, trying to destroy a dataset that has a share enabled will return and error stating the dataset cannot be destroyed because it is busy.
Tracing the root to the share is just not trevial.
Being able to have Freenas inform on the root cause with a GUI interface would be much more efficient.

diskdiddler

Wizard
as @MatthewSteinhoff said:

a checkbox somewhere in the General or Advanced System tab that says 'contribute anonymous hardware specs and performance stats to FreeNAS'.

This seems like a really simple win to me.

dasti

Explorer
I use freenas as a home server, I'd love to be able to plug in an usb drive and launch file copies directly this means making freenas be able to read/write ext3/4 and ntfs and maybe more
note that I saw this suggestion few years ago in the bugzilla (?) and that was refused.

I need this feature every week and each time I have to plug the drive on a laptop and hook it on a cable in the middle of my living room ;-)

dasti

Explorer
a wizard to do all the things you have to do when you insert new drivesin freenas
in other words an UI that will do all the smartctl / io benchmarks...etc...and keed that in a nice report

3 on 6 of the drives I purchased were dead at unpacking, I have a nice doc on how to use smartctl now ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer

dasti

Explorer

dasti

Explorer
use bittorrent to use the community's bandwidth to provide updates / plugins / vm templates / ...
have an option like "yes use my bandwidth to help the freenas projects" + bandwitdh cap + scheduler

diskdiddler

Wizard
use bittorrent to use the community's bandwidth to provide updates / plugins / vm templates / ...
have an option like "yes use my bandwidth to help the freenas projects" + bandwitdh cap + scheduler

None of these things seem to be particularly slow on the current system.

Come up with an easy way to get a serial number from a multipath disk.

For those of us with mulitpath disks, associating a disk on the 'Volume Status' page with a serial number and physical disk is a multi-step process that should be easier.

When a drive fails, we go to the 'Volume Status' page. That gives us a multipath/disk?? address. That address must be taken to the 'View Multipaths' page. From the 'View Multipaths' page, you have to Ctrl-F find the multipath disk then expand to see the actual physical /dev/ disk. From there, you have to go to the 'View Disks' page to get the serial number.

When replacing back a disk, you have to reverse the process, finding the serial number on the 'View Disks' page, figuring out how that maps to the multipath disk then you need to head back to the Volumes page to get to Volume Status then to replacement.

The multipath address, by the way, is pretty much useless. You can't run any tools (such as smartctl) against the multipath.

From the Volume Status, there should be a way to more quickly get to the physical disk. Maybe a hover-over that exposes the /dev/ path and serial number? Or make it the Name clickable to pull up the status for that device that includes the physical disk information?

All this came about because we ran out of slots in and had to hunt down bad disks for removal. Since we have 25 slots, when a drive is replaced, it doesn't always get immediately pulled. Finding bad active disks, bad inactive disks from among the good disks is time consuming because of flipping back and forth between screens. I ended up creating this obnoxious document...

FreeNAS-multipath.jpg

In any case, there has to be an easier way. And, unlike requests to flash drive lights which is highly hardware dependent, I think an easier mapping of multipath disks can be done in a hardware agnostic way.

Cheers,
Matt

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

For those of us with mulitpath disks, associating a disk on the 'Volume Status' page with a serial number and physical disk is a multi-step process that should be easier.

When a drive fails, we go to the 'Volume Status' page. That gives us a multipath/disk?? address. That address must be taken to the 'View Multipaths' page. From the 'View Multipaths' page, you have to Ctrl-F find the multipath disk then expand to see the actual physical /dev/ disk. From there, you have to go to the 'View Disks' page to get the serial number.

When replacing back a disk, you have to reverse the process, finding the serial number on the 'View Disks' page, figuring out how that maps to the multipath disk then you need to head back to the Volumes page to get to Volume Status then to replacement.

The multipath address, by the way, is pretty much useless. You can't run any tools (such as smartctl) against the multipath.

From the Volume Status, there should be a way to more quickly get to the physical disk. Maybe a hover-over that exposes the /dev/ path and serial number? Or make it the Name clickable to pull up the status for that device that includes the physical disk information?

All this came about because we ran out of slots in and had to hunt down bad disks for removal. Since we have 25 slots, when a drive is replaced, it doesn't always get immediately pulled. Finding bad active disks, bad inactive disks from among the good disks is time consuming because of flipping back and forth between screens. I ended up creating this obnoxious document...

View attachment 24259

In any case, there has to be an easier way. And, unlike requests to flash drive lights which is highly hardware dependent, I think an easier mapping of multipath disks can be done in a hardware agnostic way.

Cheers,
Matt
It doesn't really address your concern as much as sidestep it, but check out sesutil. With some luck, it even accepts sesutil locate multipath15 on.

danb35

Hall of Famer

View attachment 24259

Cheers,
Matt

Why not name your multipath drives with a meaningful name which describes their exact location in the system? I use gmultipath label -v J1S5 /dev/da0 /dev/da25 this tells me that this drive is located in JBOD1 Slot5. I have done this for years on many different systems including 90 bays and it works great. On systems with only one JBOD then I add a bit more detail to the name like part of the drives serial number and its enclosure ID for flashing lights to double check for example 5_78MH_2_4 tells me Slot5, serial, enclosure ID. On single pathed systems I do the same but with glabel.

Status
Not open for further replies.