Earn Your Recognition Today

Hey TrueNAS Community!

We’re excited to share a new way to recognize those in the Community with TrueNAS knowledge. We're rolling out recognition within the community, which includes a badge to be showcased in your profile!

Badge_Profile_Mockup_1.png
Knowledge_Badge_1.png

Want to earn this TrueNAS Knowledge badge to showcase your skills? Take the TrueNAS SCALE Evaluation Guide Knowledge Exam, and once you've achieved a score of 80% or higher, the badge will be added to your profile within 24 hours!

To ensure we properly assign your badge, please be sure to enter your email used to register for the TrueNAS Community forums at the end of the exam.

Study Guide:​

For those eager to dive into the study materials, check out our comprehensive TrueNAS SCALE Evaluation Guide Study Guide.

We can't wait to see who will be the first to proudly display their badge.. Challenge yourself, aim high, and let's celebrate the TrueNAS expertise within the community!

This is the first badge to kick off our new recognition program, but stay tuned for more badges available soon. In the meantime, we’d love to hear your thoughts on this new endeavor, so please leave your comments below!
Note: Badge Design may be subject to change.

Best,
Will

artlessknave

Wizard
huh. i didn't expect 100% first try. now I want some harder ones...

Apollo

Wizard
Got it by a hair.
Hope I will be doing better for the TrueNAS CORE version of the survey.

Redcoat

MVP

Davvo

MVP
Having a CORE version would be surprising.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
As I understand it, question 26 is wrong.

New replication tasks default to "none" for snapshot retention on the destination, equating to the option along the lines of "manually delete", not "same as origin", which appears to be the accepted answer.

I think question 13 is also a bit technically wrong... if a snapshot is taken, it does (and must) take up "some" space (in order to exist)... just no additional space in the sense of "data".

huh. i didn't expect 100% first try. now I want some harder ones...
Oh, don't worry! We have more coming down the pipeline, we aim to challenge you guys, this was just testing the waters!
Something that was talked about before launching this. I'll pass this feedback around internally as well, lots of CORE fans here at iX that would love to earn a badge :). No promises though.

I think question 13 is also a bit technically wrong... if a snapshot is taken, it does (and must) take up "some" space (in order to exist)... just no additional space in the sense of "data".
Thanks for the feedback on this, sretalla. Once everyone here in the US starts waking up we'll get that sorted out.

For anyone who took the exam, let me know what you think. If you loved it or hated it, we want to know. Our goal is to make these fun as well as educational.

Arwen

MVP
Gee, that was a bit too easy;
Score: 100%
32/32 points
Since I don't use SCALE's Apps, I did not think I would get those questions right.

Davvo

MVP
As a side note, I think the study guide is an excellent introductionary material to SCALE.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems

New replication tasks default to "none" for snapshot retention on the destination, equating to the option along the lines of "manually delete", not "same as origin", which appears to be the accepted answer.
New replication tasks should be defaulting to "Same as Source" as shown here:

1707927096290.png

They aren't shown as expiring on the target system (in a push), because it's the job-runner system that controls the deletions. But yes, we could probably be more clear about what it will show when inspecting the snapshots on each end.

We'll see about disambiguating this question as well. :smile:

now I want some harder ones...
Got it, I'll add questions about undocumented zdb parameters and guts of the C code as well. :wink:

Apollo

Wizard
For anyone who took the exam, let me know what you think. If you loved it or hated it, we want to know. Our goal is to make these fun as well as educational.
I have the feeling the promotion of the SCALE badge is somewhat of a devious way of saying that everybody has adopted SCALE and CORE is no longer a recommended go-to platform.

Etorix

Wizard
Gee, that was a bit too easy;

Since I don't use SCALE's Apps, I did not think I would get those questions right.
I haven't touched SCALE since trying (and not liking) Anglefish, but having a link to the guide with the answers makes even these questions a bit too easy. (Though my favourite remains the one about best security practices: So hard to guess.)
31/32 points
And that's knowingly answering the first question as should be for CORE…

Volts

Patron
Nitpicky feedback - the PDF browser is annoying AF. Slow to open. WebGL made my computer switch GPUs. No search. Blurry words. Bent text near the "gutter". Why??

Volts

Patron
And that's knowingly answering the first question as should be for CORE…

I felt crazy to see the official docs now say 8GB for both CORE and SCALE. It used to say 16GB for at least CORE.

I also noticed this on the SCALE page:

> TrueNAS installs, runs, and operates jails.

Davvo

MVP
I felt crazy to see the official docs now say 8GB for both CORE and SCALE. It used to say 16GB for at least CORE.
It was bringed back to 8GB for both quite a while ago, amongst the complains of many users.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm surprised I passed. Not being an IT person and computers only being a hobby since, well the 1970's. I did like the showing of what ones I got wrong although it would have been nice to see what those answers were "If the person passed".

dak180

Patron
For anyone who took the exam, let me know what you think.

TrueNAS SCALE Apps require a separate license for the operating system for the App.​

In addition to being oddly worded I would argue that the answer to this is incorrect since almost any App (the software it's self) will have their own license which would not have to be the same as that for TrueNAS.