Important announcement regarding FreeNAS Corral

Status
Not open for further replies.

brando56894

Wizard
To the people saying get a " get a grip on reality" I recommended FreeNAS and I'm responsible for keeping it live for all our companies... If this project is not successful. My job is might be endanger. that's my reality.
a Migration process will make things much easier for all. please try to make that happen. thanks

My rule of thumb is always to thoroughly test new software before I implement it into production. I had been using it for 4 months and it was unstable in my home lab all the time, I would have never thought to install it on something mission critical/production when it was in that state. It was only out for a month, hardly enough time for it to be tested by the masses, during the Alpha and Beta stages we had maybe 1,000-2,000 people testing it total.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
At 24 pages currently, this is more like a Mr Bones' Wild Ride than "rabbit hole".

alice-in-front-of-rabbit-hole.jpg

ajschot

Patron
well i am now test running FN11 and saw the GUI it is just a fancier 9.10 but this does not mean it is working easier or that functions are packet more in a macro way behind the screens... no it is just 9.10 with a 2010 look. In no way it is working as easy as on Corral. I used 9.10 for a short time and switched over to FN10 beta2 and i loved it it was such a better place, don't wait for tasks and the WEB gui did make it much much more easy then FN11 there is a really long way to go to get even near Corral so for now I keep on testrunning FN11 but I stay on Corral for so many things I miss in 9.10 and FN11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna miss Corral's dashboard and calendar (sniff) :(

Last edited:

Steven Leary

Cadet
Make a feature request! I don't believe I've heard anyone say we definitely won't have that feature.

Something of a silly question. Why would feature requests have to be made for something that has already been made a feature?

Shouldn't the basic goal of the new UI be functional compatibility with the UI of Corral? After all, said Corral features have been pitched for some time.

SDLeary

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Something of a silly question. Why would feature requests have to be made for something that has already been made a feature?

Shouldn't the basic goal of the new UI be functional compatibility with the UI of Corral? After all, said Corral features have been pitched for some time.

SDLeary
Think of it more as a way to help prioritize some stuff. It can't all go into a single release, so some sort of roadmap needs to be defined, especially as the really big features are completed in 11.0 and 11.1.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame

SDLeary

There are no silly questions...well unless they involve Justin Bieber. That might be kind of silly. ANYWAY where was I going with this.

+1 to what Eric said! We use feature requests in many instances to see what people are the most interested in. A feature request with 15-20 people saying they'd also like the feature carries a bit of weight. If you would like to see a calendar function like the one in Corral, I see making a feature request as a great way to say +1 to this request for everyone that is interested.

Steven Leary

Cadet
Think of it more as a way to help prioritize some stuff. It can't all go into a single release, so some sort of roadmap needs to be defined, especially as the really big features are completed in 11.0 and 11.1.

Wouldn't going back to the feature requests for 10 already show what the priorities of the users/community are? As the goal here is the replacement of the pulled 10/Corral, and not a new version simply for the sake of a new version, that would be a good place to start. It could also shorten time to development, as you wouldn't be waiting around for people to find out about the pullback, and to submit new requests.

And, as far a something like a Dashboard, I'm assuming that the 9 branch already is able to track and/or acquire that data. Based on screen shots and videos, it all appears to be data that is available from various cli commands. And because visual data management has been a thing for some time, it seems like a no brainer and an all around win-win, and probably not that difficult to implement.

SDLeary

PS - I see the SRC for 10/Alpha but not 10/Release on the Git Hub site. Where can I find the Release source?

Last edited:

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Wouldn't going back to the feature requests for 10 already show what the priorities of the users/community are? As the goal here is the replacement of the pulled 10/Corral, and not a new version simply for the sake of a new version, that would be a good place to start.

And, as far a something like a Dashboard, I'm assuming that the 9 branch already is able to track and/or acquire that data. Based on screen shots and videos, it all appears to be data that is available from various cli commands. And because visual data management has been a thing for some time, it seems like a no brainer and an all around win-win, and probably not that difficult to implement.

SDLeary

I think you're right @SDLeary that the FreeNAS 10 / Corral tracker is a good place to start. However, there was a pretty good majority of the community that also wasn't interested in Corral. I also don't think what anyone has said precludes that we'll be drawing on features that were well liked and requested for Corral. In fact, it's been mentioned many times that we are already planning to bring in a lot of well-liked features from FreeNAS Corral. You said it was a no-brainer to put certain features into FreeNAS. Regardless, I'll reiterate my point and try to offer some clarity on my statement. If anyone wants to know a clear answer on whether a feature will be included, I'd encourage you to just file a feature request or do a quick search to see if one already exists. Post a +1 on the request saying why the feature is important to you. It's a great way to communicate with the devs and let them know which features are important to everyone in the community. No assumptions necessary!

Dramos

Cadet
Jumped back to Freenas 9.10 without many dramas, took a few hours to re-create all my samba shares/users/groups/etc and iscsi shares, migrating back from docker images to jails, a lot less painful then i thought it would be and let me clean up a lot of un-needed shares, etc left behind over the years.

Here's hoping for pushbullet notifications like we had in Corral, that's really the only bit I miss.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
It appears that this thread has started to wind down. I'd like to sincerely thank everyone for their feedback. I'm going to close this now but please feel free to continue the discussion outside of this announcement thread. I'm also glad to listen if you would like to send me a message.

Thanks all!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Shameless bump to place this sticky at the top of the stickies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ping, because people somehow still miss this thread.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Bumpity-bump. Anyone still subscribed to this thread, use this cue to unsubscribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.