Re-install plugins using pkg method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The datadirectory is the entire /var/db/sabnzbd directory. You don't need the Downloads though.

I would stop the service first, and after you restore it make sure the directory is owned by UID=816 before starting the service.

ResentedPoet

Dabbler
Hi,

Glad I seen this thread, I was wondering the same thing as the OP when it came to setting up my server: Plugins or manual install via pkg. You say Joshua that many plugins allow in-app updating - is this possible for the ownCloud plugin? Been wondering if there is a way to update to 7.0.4 for a while now.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi,

Glad I seen this thread, I was wondering the same thing as the OP when it came to setting up my server: Plugins or manual install via pkg. You say Joshua that many plugins allow in-app updating - is this possible for the ownCloud plugin? Been wondering if there is a way to update to 7.0.4 for a while now.
I'm not sure if in app-updating works for the current owncloud plugin. but owncloud can update itself if it has permission to overwrite its source directory.
I plan on making changes to the current owncloud plugin for owncloud 8 and I'll make sure it can update itself then.

ResentedPoet

Dabbler
I'm not sure if in app-updating works for the current owncloud plugin. but owncloud can update itself if it has permission to overwrite its source directory.
I plan on making changes to the current owncloud plugin for owncloud 8 and I'll make sure it can update itself then.
Awesome, can't wait. Just read up on ownCloud 8 a little and definitely looks promising. I won't do a manual install then if ownCloud 8 is just around the corner. Do you plan to integrate document viewing and video preview in this release too?

Thanks again!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Awesome, can't wait. Just read up on ownCloud 8 a little and definitely looks promising. I won't do a manual install then if ownCloud 8 is just around the corner. Do you plan to integrate document viewing and video preview in this release too?

Thanks again!
yup, im gonna make sure those work just like in my owncloud+nginx guide.

one thing for you though, there won't be a way to migrate from the current OC plugin to the new one because im switching the database from sqlite to mysql.

carleycr

Patron
Joshua, I think I just need to nuke my plugins and jail and rebuild it so I can get everything up to date the correct way and be able to update in the future. I can see the settings.conf file for couchpotato, so I'll back that up. What about sickbeard (sickrage), transmission, plex, and the jail itself?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Joshua, I think I just need to nuke my plugins and jail and rebuild it so I can get everything up to date the correct way and be able to update in the future. I can see the settings.conf file for couchpotato, so I'll back that up. What about sickbeard (sickrage), transmission, plex, and the jail itself?
you really only need to backup the data-directories, the rest of the jail will be restored when you install a new instance of a plugin.

this thread has a list of data-directory locations.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27336/

carleycr

Patron
Just so I clarify, if i backup the data directories to all my plugins, then delete them, I shouldn't need to delete the jail for the the new plugins to be installed and work properly? Including updating in the future?

Then, since I'll have a fresh start, would you recommend I use PBI's or "pkg install {plugin name}" via ssh? Which will be able to update by either FreeNAS GUI under plugins tab or running a simple command to update them?

Once I have the new, updated, plugins installed in the jail I just need to make sure they have the right permissions, then put back the old data directories in their entirety and that's it?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Just so I clarify, if i backup the data directories to all my plugins, then delete them, I shouldn't need to delete the jail for the the new plugins to be installed and work properly? Including updating in the future?

Then, since I'll have a fresh start, would you recommend I use PBI's or "pkg install {plugin name}" via ssh? Which will be able to update by either FreeNAS GUI under plugins tab or running a simple command to update them?

Once I have the new, updated, plugins installed in the jail I just need to make sure they have the right permissions, then put back the old data directories in their entirety and that's it?
If a plugin jail is holding no more plugins it gets destroyed. Updating should work, not sure what you're asking.

I'm not gonna recommend either, do whatever you like. I personally run plugins for most things (sabnzbd/transmission/sickrage/couchpotato/mediabrowser) but run some thing from source (owncloud).

If you do a fresh install of a plugin it will have the correct ownership/permissions. You just need to make sure when you restore the data-directories they are owned by the correct user, that's it.

carleycr

Patron
Ok. What about the data in my jail? I have a TB's of data stored in /mnt/Vol1/jails/download_jail/mnt/media as described in your guide I followed. Will the jail still delete itself with all that data in it and no plugins? I heard a snapshot of the jail won't do an actual backup, but it just used for restoring a corrupt jail or something like that.

I also noticed some of the data directories, plex for example, is actually located /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata. There are folders for all the plugins. Do any of these matter?

Thanks again for your help Joshua. Much appreciated.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Ok. What about the data in my jail? I have a TB's of data stored in /mnt/Vol1/jails/download_jail/mnt/media as described in your guide I followed. Will the jail still delete itself with all that data in it and no plugins? I heard a snapshot of the jail won't do an actual backup, but it just used for restoring a corrupt jail or something like that.

I also noticed some of the data directories, plex for example, is actually located /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata. There are folders for all the plugins. Do any of these matter?

Thanks again for your help Joshua. Much appreciated.
it won't delete the data in this case because it actually resides on your media dataset and is just mounted into the jail.

older versions of plex are there, with the largest update of plex I moved it =P

carleycr

Patron
Ok. So for Couchpotato and Sabnzbd, backup the data directories located in /var/db/Plugin folder. What about Plex, Transmission, Sickbeard(sickrage)? I'm not seeing those in the the same location as CP and Sab. The data directories link you sent me aren't 100% accurate from what I can tell.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Ok. So for Couchpotato and Sabnzbd, backup the data directories located in /var/db/Plugin folder. What about Plex, Transmission, Sickbeard(sickrage)? I'm not seeing those in the the same location as CP and Sab. The data directories link you sent me aren't 100% accurate from what I can tell.
they are accurate for the current latest version of plugins.

* I posted the correct location for transmission (/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home)
* for older versions of plex it's not correct because I just moved it in the latest version.
* for older versions of sickbeard it's in /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/etc/sickbeard

carleycr

Patron
Ok. I think that's all I needed then. Thanks for your help.

ResentedPoet

Dabbler
yup, im gonna make sure those work just like in my owncloud+nginx guide.

one thing for you though, there won't be a way to migrate from the current OC plugin to the new one because im switching the database from sqlite to mysql.
Not a problem personally for me. Haven't had much invested in it on my end yet, but I will wait until the ownCloud 8 with auto update before I deploy it for others.

Thanks again!

carleycr

Patron
Joshua, I have backed up everything, performed a fresh install of 9.3 on a different flash drive, imported my volume and re-uploaded config file. I'm still running into the issue of no available plugins, and have submitted a bug report...I think.

The other question I have is about the storage for my jail. Should the storage points have the "download_jail" as the jail or the plugin name. Screenshot attached so you know what I'm talking about. I changed a few of them to "download_jail" after realizing they said the plugin name as the jail. I thought that was odd as I only have one jail.
Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at 3.17.43 PM.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Joshua, I have backed up everything, performed a fresh install of 9.3 on a different flash drive, imported my volume and re-uploaded config file. I'm still running into the issue of no available plugins, and have submitted a bug report...I think.

The other question I have is about the storage for my jail. Should the storage points have the "download_jail" as the jail or the plugin name. Screenshot attached so you know what I'm talking about. I changed a few of them to "download_jail" after realizing they said the plugin name as the jail. I thought that was odd as I only have one jail. View attachment 6581
I don't know your jail setup, but I think it should be obvious that whatever jail you have chosen is the one those files will be available to. also, in freenas 9.3 you can't name plugin jails yourself.

carleycr

Patron
I noticed you can't name plugin jails. The jail got re-added after I uploaded my config. I configured my jail virtually identical to your guide. I'll just change them to my jail name then.

I also noticed after replacing the plex data folder my plex plugin now shows its off, but I can still access the web GUI. Same with transmission. Just to clarify, you did say I could delete my jail and not loose my data stored in it correct? I think my jail is messing stuff up when I originally tried to update my plugins using some terminal methods.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I noticed you can't name plugin jails. The jail got re-added after I uploaded my config. I configured my jail virtually identical to your guide. I'll just change them to my jail name then.

I also noticed after replacing the plex data folder my plex plugin now shows its off, but I can still access the web GUI. Same with transmission. Just to clarify, you did say I could delete my jail and not loose my data stored in it correct? I think my jail is messing stuff up when I originally tried to update my plugins using some terminal methods.
to confirm again, yes everything your plugin stores is in it's data directory. that's all you need to backup, jails are a commodity and can be deleted/created at will.

Status
Not open for further replies.