Re-register a plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexhore

Explorer
I have installed FreeNAS fresh but wanted to keep all my plugins installed on the dataset working.

I added the jail install directory in the jail configuration and on reboot it picks them up and runs them just fine.

Becouse its a fresh install none of them are shown as installed within the plugin section and I like to stay with the plugins and avoid manual updates.

Any way to re-register? Perhaps a config file somewhere I can tweak adding the type version and directory perhaps?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. The plugins are jails with extra stuff in the config file. If you lost the config file that had that info you'd be better off to destroy the jails and make the plugins again than try to hack your way through SQL.

alexhore

Explorer
Thanks, I found a post by you not long after regarding updating the core jail image not being possible. I ended up taking a dump of the config file, installing another plugin I didn't need then taking a second dump and opening both in SQLlite and couldn't see any changes. Perhaps the location of the installs on the data-set are configured there but not a list of current installs. Perhaps a list file is maintained elsewhere. Lucky for me I don't have so many plugins only 4 but getting them to talk was painful the first time round. I have everything noted so ill remove and reinstall some day soon.

Edit, looks like it came close to being implemented...

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/1390

Edit #2 Logged it as a 'nice to have' :) feature https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/8758

Cheers

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, don't hold your breath on it. Backing up the config file is trivial, and I doubt the devs are going to want to go with this "this time around" with the discussion either. It's a lot of work to try to implement, and since you *should* be doing config backups anyway, it's generally considered to be a "you fell on your own sword... what do you expect?" type of scenario.

I have a guide on how to do automated config file backups nightly (or whatever schedule you want) and it's simple to implement.

I'm sorry you're in the situation you are in, but I don't feel particularly bad for someone that didn't backup a 200KB file. ;)

alexhore

Explorer
but I don't feel particularly bad for someone that didn't backup a 200KB file. ;)

I don't think you read the ticket I logged but that's fine. You assumed I didn't have a backup but I do as per the ticket. I even had the full install and config still in place on the original USB stick. I used an additional identical stick for this install as I am that paranoid about these things but that's gone now since I have a working system.

The several backups I have of the config.db are of no use when restoring them as the issues not explored hear that I was working to resolve return, compounded further as I suspect the install and config.db were corrupt in Harmony.

Maybe "Someone put the sword there and kicked me in the back" but ill except it was probably user error that caused the issues somewhere along this learning experience.

I agree that it might not come about but I disagree that the ability to back the config.db file negates the need of this function completely. Its a small tweak (edit, from the front end, perhaps tricky to implement) to an evolving system that many could be using one day so I see no harm in logging this only to contribute towards a more flexible system.

The Developers i'm sure will prioritise it appropriately

Status
Not open for further replies.