Re-install plugins using pkg method

Status
Not open for further replies.

carleycr

Patron
I am currently running 9.3 stable updated via GUI from 9.2.1.7. My plugins were installed on the older version and have been working fine for the most part since. I installed them by uploading .pbi files.

I recently read somewhere on the FreeNAS forums that it's highly recommended to install/update/maintain plugins via pkg methods. Is this true or the best practice?

If so, how do I backup my configs of my plugins so I can delete them, backup my jail, delete the jail, re-create jail, then install plugins and configs to reset them back up.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I am currently running 9.3 stable updated via GUI from 9.2.1.7. My plugins were installed on the older version and have been working fine for the most part since. I installed them by uploading .pbi files.

I recently read somewhere on the FreeNAS forums that it's highly recommended to install/update/maintain plugins via pkg methods. Is this true or the best practice?

If so, how do I backup my configs of my plugins so I can delete them, backup my jail, delete the jail, re-create jail, then install plugins and configs to reset them back up.
If you are using the plugins (PBI) you don't use pkg to update them.

If you want to backup a plugin you usually want to backup its data-directory which location varies depending on the plugin. For most of my plugins they are located in /var/db/PLUGIN

carleycr

Patron
I guess my question is should I not be using PBI, but instead re-install my plugins using pkg? I did use a guide that you, Joshua Parker Ruehlig, posted on your site that was how to configure plugins. I'm having difficulties installing updates for those plugins. I also read on the forums here that it's recommended to update my plugs the current way I have them is to remove them, remove the jail, re-add the jail, re-add the plugins and re-configure everything. I just feel like there's gotta be an easier way to update.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I guess my question is should I not be using PBI, but instead re-install my plugins using pkg? I did use a guide that you, Joshua Parker Ruehlig, posted on your site that was how to configure plugins. I'm having difficulties installing updates for those plugins. I also read on the forums here that it's recommended to update my plugs the current way I have them is to remove them, remove the jail, re-add the jail, re-add the plugins and re-configure everything. I just feel like there's gotta be an easier way to update.
You have the freedom to do whatever you like. You could even run the plugin version and at the same time install a second instance of everything in port jails. I prefer using the plugins for most things, but that's my opinion.

what plugins are you trying to update? Many of the plugins I build have in-app updating (in their own UI).
transmission has a known issue updating from earlier versions which was fixed in the last release.
updating sabnzbd through the FreeNAS WebUI has always worked for me.

carleycr

Patron
I'm just curious what's a better way to consistently update the plugins when I have them all in 1 jail. I appreciate your hard work on your apps that you've built, as I use them. As well as the guide you made as I used it and it works very well.Mostly sabnzbd and plex. In FreeNAS Installed Plugins, none of my plugins have the update button when I know there are more up to date versions from download.freenas.org. Is there a way to check the version of the plugins via ssh and see if they are different than what is showing in the plugins section of FreeNAS?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm just curious what's a better way to consistently update the plugins when I have them all in 1 jail. I appreciate your hard work on your apps that you've built, as I use them. As well as the guide you made as I used it and it works very well.Mostly sabnzbd and plex. In FreeNAS Installed Plugins, none of my plugins have the update button when I know there are more up to date versions from download.freenas.org. Is there a way to check the version of the plugins via ssh and see if they are different than what is showing in the plugins section of FreeNAS?
For Plex alot of people like using PMS_Updater script to update Plex. But, if you install or update to the latest version of the Plex plugin I made a change that should make plugin updates much faster and more reliable.

You can decide what's better. Either should work.

####

For sabnzbd and plex the versions should be shown on the Plugins > Installed tab.

You're not being presented with the update button for these two plugins? Can you provide a screenshot?

carleycr

Patron
For Plex alot of people like using PMS_Updater script to update Plex. But, if you install or update to the latest version of the Plex plugin I made a change that should make plugin updates much faster and more reliable.

You can decide what's better. Either should work.

####

For sabnzbd and plex the versions should be shown on the Plugins > Installed tab.

You're not being presented with the update button for these two plugins? Can you provide a screenshot?

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 7.13.09 PM.png

I've ran that script before and I thought it worked, however, when i access the plex GUI it says I need to update manually.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
View attachment 6491
I've ran that script before and I thought it worked, however, when i access the plex GUI it says I need to update manually.
not sure, I don't know anything about the script myself.
when you in the Plugins > Available tab it shows newer versions of the plugins then you have installed or the same ones you have installed?

at one point the repo moved so there's an old one floating around that doesn't get updated. is this your repo setting? http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/pbi-meta/pbi-repo.rpo

carleycr

Patron
How do I check my repo setting? I have no clue what that is.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

carleycr

Patron
I think it's on the Plugins > Configuration tab

I replaced the one I had with the one you posted. Before and after I updated the repo, I'm not even getting available plugins. I'm still not getting the update option under installed plugins.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I replaced the one I had with the one you posted. Before and after I updated the repo, I'm not even getting available plugins. I'm still not getting the update option under installed plugins.
you clicked to refresh the repo?

well your issue isn't with any specific plugin updating. it's that your freenas isn't properly connecting to the repo.

carleycr

Patron
you clicked to refresh the repo?

well your issue isn't with any specific plugin updating. it's that your freenas isn't properly connecting to the repo.

I did click the save button, refreshed the browser, and still no luck. This is why I think I need to backup my plugin configs and jail, remove, and re-create.

I'm really trying to avoid redoing my entire FreeNAS instance, but if I have to it wouldn't be the first time.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I did click the save button, refreshed the browser, and still no luck. This is why I think I need to backup my plugin configs and jail, remove, and re-create.

I'm really trying to avoid redoing my entire FreeNAS instance, but if I have to it wouldn't be the first time.
I was talking about the refresh button on the Plugins > Available tab, not in your browser. Maybe you can try the below to make sure your FreeNAS can download the repo file correctly.
Code:
fetch "http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/pbi-meta/pbi-repo.rpo"

carleycr

Patron
I was talking about the refresh button on the Plugins > Available tab, not in your browser. Maybe you can try the below to make sure your FreeNAS can download the repo file correctly.
Code:
fetch "http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/pbi-meta/pbi-repo.rpo"

My bad. I tried the refresh button for the plugins and still nothing for available plugins. I was able to successfully run the fetch cmd via ssh
Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 10.36.30 PM.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
My bad. I tried the refresh button for the plugins and still nothing for available plugins. I was able to successfully run the fetch cmd via ssh
View attachment 6496
Maybe you should file bug report then. I've personally never experienced your issue.

carleycr

Patron

carleycr

Patron
@Joshua Parker Ruehlig, I have created a share pointing to my db file in my jail where my plugin files are. Can I backup my plugin configs from there? I was trying to use cp in ssh but with no luck. I think I'd rather just backup the configs/data of the plugins, then re-install them.

Couldn't seem to figure out how to report a bug. It's like I needed a confirmation number or something to register.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@Joshua Parker Ruehlig, I have created a share pointing to my db file in my jail where my plugin files are. Can I backup my plugin configs from there? I was trying to use cp in ssh but with no luck. I think I'd rather just backup the configs/data of the plugins, then re-install them.

Couldn't seem to figure out how to report a bug. It's like I needed a confirmation number or something to register.
not sure what you're asking exactly. just copy the datadirectory for each plugin somewhere safe.

carleycr

Patron
not sure what you're asking exactly. just copy the datadirectory for each plugin somewhere safe.
Is the data directory the .ini file shown in the image? If so, is it as simple as copy and pasting it to my desktop of my laptop?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 11.12.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 11.12.40 PM.png
    16 KB · Views: 269
Status
Not open for further replies.