iocage plugins -- how to get ?"pkg" to work?

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Hi Guys,

I have installed one of the plugins (emby) using instructions from here: https://github.com/freenas/iocage-ix-plugins
But I need to install some other software in the jail using pkg, for example nano.
However when I try it just comes back:
Code:
pkg install nano
Updating iocage-plugins repository catalogue...
iocage-plugins repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'nano' have been found in the repositories

I have done a "pkg update" but it says the repo is up to date. Is there something I am missing?

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Ahh ... I see the repo is disabled in:
Code:
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

Removing that or setting enabled to "yes" fixed that .. don't know why it is disabled ny default ..

Yep, that's it. By default all ix-plugins use a custom repository, probably to improve stability & control. It only has limited subset of packages.

crogers

Cadet
Ahh ... I see the repo is disabled in:
Code:
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

Removing that or setting enabled to "yes" fixed that .. don't know why it is disabled ny default ..
Extreme newb question here, but could you please explain how to change this setting? Is it something you use SSH to do or do you browse to the file and change it with a text editor. Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Bottom line: plugins are preconfigured and prepackaged; don't try to install other stuff in there. If you want to manually install packages, just create a standard jail instead and have at it.